Alastair Johnston - is this man really our Chairman?

Sorry, but isn't that the kind of thinking you do before you spend a lot of money conducting due dilligence?

My understanding of due dilligence (which is more than likely wrong) is that this is a period of time where Ellis would have access to the books and can ask questions etc about anything that they show.

If he has completed this, then surely it makes sense to think about whether to actually bid?

I agree that it's taken a frustratingly long time.

He knew roughly what to expect before looking at the books, it has been pretty well publicised how much money it would need to complete a takeover and clear the debt. Indeed, he has been putting the figure of £33 million around for some time now, so he has known for a while.

So i don't think he is spending all this time thinking about whether to bid or not. Personally i think we have closer links to MIH than is being let on and this is accounting for the length of time it is taking.

Safe to say Murray has completely fucked us.

Clearly there is a lot of untangling to be done to seperate Rangers from MIH, and that will take time?? so why is AJ getting his knickers in a twist about that. The tax issue was a problem that came out, then that was cleared up by SDM saying publicy MIH will take care of that problem. Maybe some other issues need to be cleared up a bit more privately?? this does not mean we are, or SDM HAS FECKED US UP. Ellis and his backers will buy us.

So Murray hasn't fucked us up then? Everything is fine?

My guess, by what is being hinted at by Ellis 'Rangers are buyable' if we were fecked up Ellis would have walked away?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest therabbitt

Sorry, but isn't that the kind of thinking you do before you spend a lot of money conducting due dilligence?

My understanding of due dilligence (which is more than likely wrong) is that this is a period of time where Ellis would have access to the books and can ask questions etc about anything that they show.

If he has completed this, then surely it makes sense to think about whether to actually bid?

I agree that it's taken a frustratingly long time.

He knew roughly what to expect before looking at the books, it has been pretty well publicised how much money it would need to complete a takeover and clear the debt. Indeed, he has been putting the figure of £33 million around for some time now, so he has known for a while.

So i don't think he is spending all this time thinking about whether to bid or not. Personally i think we have closer links to MIH than is being let on and this is accounting for the length of time it is taking.

Safe to say Murray has completely fucked us.

Yeah, but knowing roughly what to expect is different to actually looking at the books and getting his hands dirty - especially given that he might be working with others or even trying to secure further funding to make the deal.

Perhaps this EBT/HMRC stuff is delaying him in his bid whilst he seeks advice?

I suppose there is the fact that he needs to negotiate a price too, that could take time whilst he puts together what he wants to bid. I'm sure the quoted 33 million is not 'buy it now' price. Ellis would of course want to get the best for his money.

What are you eluding to regarding the closer links to MIH mate?

Something that AJ said about this tax query being down to MIH has got me wondering if there are other parts of Murray's empire tied up in our clubs finances that we are not privy to.

Maybe so, but if anything, surely that adds credence to the fact that it would have been churlish of Ellis to have bid as soon as the due diligence period ended?

What a poor appointment this man has been for our club. Not only is he based in the US but every time he opens his trap he seems to spout pish.

When he was given the job as Chairman of our great club he should have moved to Scotland for the time he has that role. No way can you be Chairman of Rangers FC even in good times from across the water never mind when the world is against us. He has not offered us any direction, leadership or guidance during his time in charge and everytime he speaks he causes more and more confusion.

His latest rant is aimed at the only guy that would appear to be seriously interested in buying the club. We are all desperate for the club to be sold so that we can move on and the bold AJ has a pop at the guy trying to buy us. Not only that when Ellis gives his reply the bold AJ has another pop at him.

One thing that puzzles me is why does AJ think that Ellis or any other bidder actually have to talk to him? The shares will be bought from SDM (the Murray Group) so why would AJ be involved in any discussions? Is he just pissed off that he is out of the loop?

I would like AJ to come out and answer a few questions and clear up a few things for the fans. As SDM appointed AJ why does it appear that he know seems to be rebelling against SDM? What has happened? What is the motivation behind his recent comments? If Ellis is a phoney come out and say it.

If you were to ask 10 gers fans out of the blue what they thought of the Rangers chairman 8 would say Murray this or that , That is how low key this puppet is. Get somebody with big Rangers balls to take over .

Rabbit, if the chairman of any company speaks publicly about the private business of that company it is safe to say that he is speaking on behalf of the board. In this case it is almost certain that what Johnston said is the view of the board of Rangers. As a rule of thumb it is fair to assume that everything Johnston says publicly on Rangers is the view of the board.

Like all of us AJ is frustrated as to the slow pace of any takeover. He cannot directly contact Ellis and it appears that DM or SDM has failed to pass on his attempt to Ellis. Ellis has no need to talk to AJ and DM and SDM know this. I feel that SDM and DM have a difference of opinion regarding Ellis as do AJ and the Board.

All in all it will all come out in time, but time is something we are short of with a zillion things needed done now for next season to be a success.

Frustrating or not we will just have to be patient.

Guest therabbitt

Rabbit, if the chairman of any company speaks publicly about the private business of that company it is safe to say that he is speaking on behalf of the board. In this case it is almost certain that what Johnston said is the view of the board of Rangers. As a rule of thumb it is fair to assume that everything Johnston says publicly on Rangers is the view of the board.

Where does this work then with different directors having different views and positions on a takeover? Do we take this to be the view of the special takeover committee or the full board, given that members of the board have vested interests in the outcome of a potential bid?

Where does this work then with different directors having different views and positions on a takeover? Do we take this to be the view of the special takeover committee or the full board, given that members of the board have vested interests in the outcome of a potential bid?

i would guess that unless they are shareholders, then the directors dont get included in any discussions initiated by ellis

ellis in theory only has to deal with murray/muir if he wants to own the club, with murrays shareholding being 92%

Great debate lads - i love this stuff - loads of different opinions.

AJ should have moved to Scotland for a few months as if you had to beleave what everyone was saying we were almost in administration and were a club on its knees. Yeah Martin Bain is the CEO but the Chairman is the public face of the club and if he is at his desk every morning encouraging people and doing deals then the club would be better for it.

AJ was a SDM man and now it appears he is not - what changed? Why is he not in the loop? Does SDM now not trust him? I have no idea of the answers but I would love to know.

There is a lot more to all this as so much of it does not make any sense.

Dont know what to think of him. He's hardly ever at the club as he is based in usa. I have only heard his speak publicly twice. When he was appointed and the other day about the ellis bid

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

I honestly hope he stays, his comments about Ellis just sounded like a man who has become frustrated with someone fuckin about something he holds dear if you know what i mean, it was basically AJ saying put up or shut up.

Why is it that two Rangers men in our chairman and our own manager Walter have both come out and had a go at Ellis for dragging out this takeover ?

This Ellis guy is a charlatan. Ten weeks since he first appeared on the scene and nothing concrete. I'd rather have one Allistair Johnstone than 100 Andrew Ellis'.

Guest therabbitt

Perhaps its just semantics but was Ellis not clear that he was going it alone and was not the face of a consortium? It seems that he has been referenced as part of a consortium in the last few days. Am I missing something there too?

Guest therabbitt

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

I honestly hope he stays, his comments about Ellis just sounded like a man who has become frustrated with someone fuckin about something he holds dear if you know what i mean, it was basically AJ saying put up or shut up.

Why is it that two Rangers men in our chairman and our own manager Walter have both come out and had a go at Ellis for dragging out this takeover ?

This Ellis guy is a charlatan. Ten weeks since he first appeared on the scene and nothing concrete. I'd rather have one Allistair Johnstone than 100 Andrew Ellis'.

I'd agree in part, we know very little about Andrew Ellis, but I don't see why him taking his time with a bid is a shock to everyone?

There is not exactly anyone else chasing his tail looking to usurp him - whilst it's torture for us fans, he will surely just be wanting to make sure he is making a sound investment; considering that a bid from him will be purely a business decision and not one of the heart.

Guest therabbitt

Also, again, why is no one wanting to bash down the door of Donald Muir any more?

Is it a case of that everyone has witnessed the job that he has done making the club a much more viable option for someone to buy? All of the doom and gloom mongering and chinese whispers about massive player cuts haven't happened have they? We sold Mendes, that was a football decision. Players are out of contract, they are leaving, that appears to be a football decision.

Maybe some apologies should be heading toward Muir...

:pipe:

Perhaps its just semantics but was Ellis not clear that he was going it alone and was not the face of a consortium? It seems that he has been referenced as part of a consortium in the last few days. Am I missing something there too?

[/quote

That was my impression; Ellis was portrayed to be working alone despite not being wealthy enough to fund any deal himself.I assumed he was financing the deal through loans to be secured against the assets of the club.Now we are told he is face or frontman of a consortium.

Does anyone really know who he is and what his businesses are? All I have read is that he is a property developer but I have seen nothing relating to any company in which he has dealings.

@ Docspiderman That worries me too that we dont know if he is either going it alone or on consortia with others. We would deserve to know who else is putting money in. Leeds for example have funders that nobody else other than Ken Bates knows who they are. They have been in bother over this issue and I would not want that to happen to us. I wouldnt be happy if money coming into Rangers came from dubious means, as it would be yet another stick our enemies would use to beat us with.

@Rab Its quite intriguing that the heat has come off Muir. I cant help but feel that the perception many had of him was wrong. I dont know whether his work has made us more viable but if it has then he deserves a lot of gratitude.

I get the horrible feeling this is going to drag in and we are not going to see a new owner come in for some time. I'd rather we get the right owner than just accept the first offer from someone who may not be able to live up to their promises, look at Pompey for instance. In the financial climate right now there us precious little sentiment going about and heads are ruling hearts. I dont see the worst happening to us but I dont exactly see happy times ahead in the near to mid future.

I was thinking earlier, 15 years ago look where we were, we were signing one of the best known footballers in Europe as well as the leading goalscorer from the last World Cup, had broken the British transfer record 2 years before that and its fair to say the club was booming. Now look where we are. It makes you think.

Rabbit, a board of directors is rarely in full agreement on anything in my experience at least. There will be contrasting views on most subjects, differences of opinion and, no doubt, vested interests and jostling for position from time to time. That in itself isn't unhealthy. The board will either come to an agreement on a subject through discussion or it will take a vote, the outcome of that will become the 'view of the board'. So it is far from inconceivable that individual members of the board hold contrary views from that of the club in fact it is almost inevitable.

Again on AJ living in the US please remember the role of a chairman. His detachment from the day-to-day is beneficial, he'll act as a counterweight to those who have vested interests or are perhaps so close to the woods they can no longer see the trees. It is not his job to find buyers but it is his job to make sure the board examine thoroughly any buyers that do come forward, are not acting out of self interest but in best interest for the club and also that any potential buyers are in the best interests of the shareholders of the club. Seeing as the biggest shareholder isn't actually on the board this might cause some delays but I imagine SDM's representatives are pretty well briefed on what he wants.

Criticising Johnston for not living in Scotland, not being at the club on a daily basis or being involved in takeover talks is like criticising Allan McGregor for not taking enough corners, it simply isn't his job.

I dunno about anything else but Johnston shouldn't be conducting business through the papers. It's really not helping.

Every day a different Rangers player appears in the papers saying "hurry up". This all looks designed to put pressure on somebody to make a move.

Who knows if Ellis is genuine or not, but he's still there. I can't see any reason he would still be there if there was any huge problems. It is more than likely just loads of smaller ones being negotiated, together with organising the finance. It may also be the case that there is a standoff with the bank.

I did a quick check on the takeover panel website and there are loads of companies that have been under offer since late 2009 so this due diligence period is not unusual.

All we can do is hope the takeover goes through, whether Ellis or someone else, and we can move forward.

If there is no takeover, I think we will be out of the game for years. With a budget like Hamilton, no manager and most of the key players gone.

It's a difficult and frustrating time for everyone at the club, supporters and staff alike. Every fan is desperate to know what is going on, but I see no reason for AJ to keep firing out statements for the sake of it when there really isn't a great deal to report. I think it's fairly clear that he was trying to hasten Ellis into either pushing forward with his bid or withdrawing it. Whilst it was heartening to see someone showing an interest in buying the club it is useless to us if it is going to come to nothing. Personally speaking, going on what I've read about him so far, I don't have a lot of faith in this bid actually coming to anything.

I dunno about anything else but Johnston shouldn't be conducting business through the papers. It's really not helping.

Every day a different Rangers player appears in the papers saying "hurry up". This all looks designed to put pressure on somebody to make a move.

Who knows if Ellis is genuine or not, but he's still there. I can't see any reason he would still be there if there was any huge problems. It is more than likely just loads of smaller ones being negotiated, together with organising the finance. It may also be the case that there is a standoff with the bank.

I did a quick check on the takeover panel website and there are loads of companies that have been under offer since late 2009 so this due diligence period is not unusual.

All we can do is hope the takeover goes through, whether Ellis or someone else, and we can move forward.

If there is no takeover, I think we will be out of the game for years. With a budget like Hamilton, no manager and most of the key players gone.

Just like we have been the last 2 seasons you mean? I think you need to get a sense of perspective mate.

Guest therabbitt

I simply don't buy into the doom and gloom rumours and I firmly believe that we will buy this summer. The rumour of £5 million being mooted as a budget, to me seems feasible given that we have Champions League money coming in.

Johnston, Bain, Muir, Smith etc all had meetings with the bank about outlining the budget for the season and we've as yet to hear how that went.

Perhaps it's blind faith, but I honestly think that the playing side of things is on an even keel and the budgetry constraints there are not being tightened.

For me, any playing staff movement in or out will not only suppliment a budget but will be at the bequest of the manager - i.e. if Walter thinks that Boyd is worth a new contract, he'll offer him the better terms that he is seeking to stay at the club and if he deems selling Bougherra good business then that'll happen too.

Nothing will be enforced on him.