If Walt goes Im off too.

If Walt goes Im off too

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 20 May 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

DAVID WEIR is ready to hang up his boots if Walter Smith quits Rangers.

Title-winning skipper Weir is one of six Ibrox stars out of contract this summer.

Smith's own deal expired last January and he'll decide on his future once Lloyds reveal details of his budget.

Weir, 40, said; "The gaffer brought me back up here and my loyalties lie with him.

"What happens with him is going to influence my decision, there's no doubt about it.

"The manager's position is the first thing for me. It will play a part in my decision."

Stevie Smith and DaMarcus Beasley won't sign new deals to stay with Gers next season.

Weir has also called for early answers on the futures of Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Kirk Broadfoot.

He added: "It's not frustrating for me as I've had this kind of thing for five or six years.

"It must be frustrating for Kirk, Nacho and Kris, guys in the prime of their careers.

"They are lads who deserve to be looked after better in respect of what they have done."

Meanwhile, Gers chairman Alastair Johnston has challenged Andrew Ellis to push ahead with his takeover.

Johnston claimed he was 'sceptical' about the property tycoon's £33million plans to buy the club.

Johnston said: "I hope people will believe me that I'm not in this for me.

"I just want to protect Rangers' interests.

"If Ellis comes through with a bid I will welcome him with open arms.

"Right now I am dealing with the expectations among our fans."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2979890/If-Walt-goes-Im-off-too.html#ixzz0oQ27CsPP

The end of the day it's a new era if Ellis takes over, so i would welcome if Weir calls it a day on his playing career...

Sun making up headlines no-were does it say he is off (tu)

The average Sun reader only reads the headlines. :pipe:

The end of the day it's a new era if Ellis takes over, so i would welcome if Weir calls it a day on his playing career...

(tu)

Posters shouldn't just copy a newspaper headline for a thread title.

And looks at the pictures.

Two things.

David Weir's loyalties should be to Rangers, not the manager.

The three players he mentions have been offered deals which they have not accepted.

It's now time for these individuals, Smith included, to state whether they want to stay at Rangers or not, without any caveats. There is more than enough uncertainty at the moment.

If you believe that Davie Weir actually said that, then you believe in the fucking easter bunny and Santa Claus.That is a complete crock of shit IMO, as it is the complete opposite to his quotes to the BBC...and when it comes to either believing the BBC or the fantasy Sun rag, then I know which one I'd trust.doh

The average Sun reader CAN only reads the headlines. :pipe:

Fixed that for you mate (tu)

(tu)

Who says, didn't realise there was a ruling on this, must check my staff manual to make sure. :sherlock:

Anyway, another spin of words to by the press, and interpreting what has been said to suit their own agenda.

For other posters, this argument has been raised before about playing for Rangers and not a manager, the respect that a player does have for a manager can influence their decision as to what team they play for, in Walter they trust, and in Walter they believe there will be a winning team again, and Walter is Rangers through and through.

Other errors in the article, Smith said long ago he wanted more chance of first team football and so was released, there was no question about a new deal, and Rangers have respected the fact he wants to play first team football but Rangers can't guarantee that, as for Beasley, he wasn't offered a new deal.

Other observations, Broadfoot has already stated that an improved deal was put on the table, but he will decide on what he wants to do on his return from holiday, all players deserve to take time out and then make a decision.

It's interesting to me that Boyd hasn't signed for anyone else yet, maybe there was truth in the rumour that he was/is waiting to see what happens with the management team before he makes a decision.

Novo is getting to an age where he wants security for him and mainly for his family, everyone should respect that but the deal he apparently been offered is way of the mark for him, and even though he loves Rangers he has the right to think of his family first.

Just more newspaper spin to try and sell papers.

(tu)

For other posters, this argument has been raised before about playing for Rangers and not a manager, the respect that a player does have for a manager can influence their decision as to what team they play for, in Walter they trust, and in Walter they believe there will be a winning team again, and Walter is Rangers through and through.

A group of players threatening to leave if the manager doesn't get the deal that he wants? Is that the type of commitment that we want from a Rangers player? If Smith decides to chuck it in six months time will his followers then start to get restless too?

We need to have the maximum amount of time possible he we need to appoint a new manager and/or identify replacement players.

It seems to be a case of the tail wagging the dog at the moment.

(tu)

A group of players threatening to leave if the manager doesn't get the deal that he wants? Is that the type of commitment that we want from a Rangers player? If Smith decides to chuck it in six months time will his followers then start to get restless too?

We need to have the maximum amount of time possible he we need to appoint a new manager and/or identify replacement players.

No player is threatening to leave though, a twist of words which has been used by the press, what some of them have been saying is that they will seriously consider their future if Walter is not at the helm, this can be taken a different way, it could be that if Walter does stay then their decision/choice about what they do will be a lot easier for them.

I think it's time many of realsied there is a big game going on, While I have no time for the Mhedia many of the stories that are appearing with no sources wont be made up. Many of them will be leaked by directors, management and players all pursing their own agendas

The current situation is getting used and abused by many within Ibrox to deflect critism away from them. IMHO some people will be using the current situation as the reason for them leaving....while no doubt telling everyone how much they love the club and dont want to leave blah blah blah...while their agents are working overtime to get a deal elsewhere.

Reminds me of Hutton bleating that he was pushed....while his agent had been trying to engineer a move to the EPL for a year!

(tu)

No player is threatening to leave though, a twist of words which has been used by the press, what some of them have been saying is that they will seriously consider their future if Walter is not at the helm, this can be taken a different way, it could be that if Walter does stay then their decision/choice about what they do will be a lot easier for them.

Come on, be honest with yourself here!

This has nothing to do with the press twisting words. There is pressure being put upon the club in the hope that they will cave in to the demands of Smith and the players.

The personal ambitions of any individual should come second where the club is concerned.

I think it's time many of realsied there is a big game going on, While I have no time for the Mhedia many of the stories that are appearing with no sources wont be made up. Many of them will be leaked by directors, management and players all pursing their own agendas

The current situation is getting used and abused by many within Ibrox to deflect critism away from them. IMHO some people will be using the current situation as the reason for them leaving....while no doubt telling everyone how much they love the club and dont want to leave blah blah blah...while their agents are working overtime to get a deal elsewhere.

Reminds me of Hutton bleating that he was pushed....while his agent had been trying to engineer a move to the EPL for a year!

Great post.

The club needs to be gutted froo top to bottom if/when any takeover happens.

It really is getting tiresome. The spin is worse than usual. Surely there is another sport they can write about just now? Tennis? Cricket? Anything that will stop them making mountains out of molehills.

If you read the article and the quotes from Weir, it does pretty much say what the headline suggests...

Weir, 40, said; "The gaffer brought me back up here and my loyalties lie with him.

"What happens with him is going to influence my decision, there's no doubt about it.

"The manager's position is the first thing for me. It will play a part in my decision."

:sherlock: