Maradona Runs Over Cameraman

Maradona runs over cameraman

Head coach runs over reporter in Buenos Aires

Last updated: 20th May 2010 Subscribe to RSS Feed

Maradona runs over cameraman

Maradona: Ran over cameraman

Argentina coach Diego Maradona insulted a cameraman after accidentally running over his leg ahead of naming his final World Cup squad.

The journalist was hit by Maradona's car as he drove his Mini into the Argentine Football Association (AFA) training complex in Buenos Aires on Wednesday.

The 1986 World Cup winner then shouted abuse at the cameraman for getting in the way of his car.

"What an a**hole you are," Maradona shouted from the car after braking, "How can you put your foot under the wheel, man?"

Paramedics attended to the cameraman who was taken away for further treatment.

Media at the gates of the conference were seeking comments from the Argentina boss on his selection of players in the 23-man line-up for the World Cup in South Africa this summer, which he handed to the AFA.

Apology

Maradona has since issued an apology to the victim, saying he gave a statement to the local prosecutor.

"I was driving down the street," he said. "I'm sorry it happened. I gave a statement to the prosecutor and I hope everything comes out OK."

Argentina will take on Nigeria, South Korea and Greece in Group A of the tournament.