Shane Duffy almost dies

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane Duffy has left intensive care as he continues his recovery from life-saving surgery.

The 18-year-old Everton and Republic of Ireland starlet lost two-thirds of his blood supply after rupturing his hepatic artery during a training game on Friday.

It was a freak accident following a seemingly innocuous collision with Irish amateur team goalkeeper Adrian Walsh that caused a laceration to his liver.

He was attended to on the pitch by team surgeon Professor John O'Byrne and team doctor Alan Byrne before being rushed to nearby Mater Hospital where surgeon Gerry McEntee performed an emergency operation.

Duffy has now been moved from the intensive care unit to the high-dependency unit at Mater Hospital.

Frightened

Reflecting on the incident, Dr Byrne said: "Shane was very frightened. He thought he was going to die.

"There was 3.6 litres of blood in his abdomen that has leaked from this artery, and he had received over 20 units of blood.

"You are pouring it in one way and it is leaking out the other way.

"All you can do at that stage is put as much fluid in as you can because you are trying to keep the circulation going to the brain and to the heart.

"[FAI surgeon Professor] John O'Byrne rang me a couple of times from the ambulance and he thought he was going to die because you cannot replace the loss of this fluid and blood.

"He had lines going in everywhere in A&E to try to maintain his blood pressure."

Dr Byrne revealed he knew within seconds of running on to the pitch at Malahide United's Gannon Park home that he was dealing with a serious injury.

He said: "I made my mind up probably 30 seconds into it. I just knew this was odd.

"I wasn't quite sure of the nature of it. He was in so much pain and I needed to know where that pain was.

"After a while, he was able to say it was near his lower breastbone, so what you think is the worst case scenario - the sac that covers your heart is behind there and you can bleed into that from a trauma, collapse your lungs, break your sternum.

"I noticed a bruise, a mark on his lower abdomen where your liver is, but I just knew we were in trouble.

"I wanted to see if he was stable - his pulse was okay and his heart and lungs, and I just knew we had to get to hospital quickly."

Progress

However, Duffy has made rapid progress since Friday, much to the delight and relief of both his family and the Republic set-up.

Dr Byrne said: "We went in to visit him yesterday. Myself and Ciaran [Murray], the physiotherapist, went in, and he said, 'I hope I wasn't too much trouble'.

"The news has been good, a lot has changed in 36 hours.

"On Friday night, we weren't talking about football, we were talking about would this young boy survive, would he live?"

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and manager David Moyes have been in close contact, and dispatched their own medical staff to Dublin.

Duffy faces a lengthy period of recovery and it is unclear just when he might be able to think about getting back on the field.

Asked just how long, Dr Byrne said: "In general terms, it will be six to eight weeks. I don't think there will be any pressure for him to be going back.

"He needs to get back to his family and recover from a huge, major incident and drama, that's the first thing.

"It's too difficult to answer that question. When he is fit and has recovered from his operation and everything, then we will make that decision."

It's just a pity that.

On the other hand, I'm going to say he chose Algeria

So you know this as fact then?

I don't know it as fact, but from what I've read I think it's a reasonable assesment to make.

Do you know for a fact that France "didn't want him"?

Never said i did but you seen to think he choose Algeria over France.

Shane Duffy has left intensive care as he continues his recovery from life-saving surgery.

The 18-year-old Everton and Republic of Ireland starlet lost two-thirds of his blood supply after rupturing his hepatic artery during a training game on Friday.

It was a freak accident following a seemingly innocuous collision with Irish amateur team goalkeeper Adrian Walsh that caused a laceration to his liver.

He was attended to on the pitch by team surgeon Professor John O'Byrne and team doctor Alan Byrne before being rushed to nearby Mater Hospital where surgeon Gerry McEntee performed an emergency operation.

Duffy has now been moved from the intensive care unit to the high-dependency unit at Mater Hospital.

Frightened

Reflecting on the incident, Dr Byrne said: "Shane was very frightened. He thought he was going to die.

"There was 3.6 litres of blood in his abdomen that has leaked from this artery, and he had received over 20 units of blood.

"You are pouring it in one way and it is leaking out the other way.

"All you can do at that stage is put as much fluid in as you can because you are trying to keep the circulation going to the brain and to the heart.

"[FAI surgeon Professor] John O'Byrne rang me a couple of times from the ambulance and he thought he was going to die because you cannot replace the loss of this fluid and blood.

"He had lines going in everywhere in A&E to try to maintain his blood pressure."

Dr Byrne revealed he knew within seconds of running on to the pitch at Malahide United's Gannon Park home that he was dealing with a serious injury.

He said: "I made my mind up probably 30 seconds into it. I just knew this was odd.

"I wasn't quite sure of the nature of it. He was in so much pain and I needed to know where that pain was.

"After a while, he was able to say it was near his lower breastbone, so what you think is the worst case scenario - the sac that covers your heart is behind there and you can bleed into that from a trauma, collapse your lungs, break your sternum.

"I noticed a bruise, a mark on his lower abdomen where your liver is, but I just knew we were in trouble.

"I wanted to see if he was stable - his pulse was okay and his heart and lungs, and I just knew we had to get to hospital quickly."

Progress

However, Duffy has made rapid progress since Friday, much to the delight and relief of both his family and the Republic set-up.

Dr Byrne said: "We went in to visit him yesterday. Myself and Ciaran [Murray], the physiotherapist, went in, and he said, 'I hope I wasn't too much trouble'.

"The news has been good, a lot has changed in 36 hours.

"On Friday night, we weren't talking about football, we were talking about would this young boy survive, would he live?"

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and manager David Moyes have been in close contact, and dispatched their own medical staff to Dublin.

Duffy faces a lengthy period of recovery and it is unclear just when he might be able to think about getting back on the field.

Asked just how long, Dr Byrne said: "In general terms, it will be six to eight weeks. I don't think there will be any pressure for him to be going back.

"He needs to get back to his family and recover from a huge, major incident and drama, that's the first thing.

"It's too difficult to answer that question. When he is fit and has recovered from his operation and everything, then we will make that decision."

It's just a pity that.

you are beyond parody

I don't know it as fact, but from what I've read I think it's a reasonable assesment to make.

And from the stories posted here you don't think that's a reasonable assesment to make?

it's not like hes just going along with playing for Algeria, hes always wearing a wristband and brings out a flag everytime we gain success, im pretty sure he choose algeria for a certain reason.

just a pity it wasnt you.

Another two faced cunt.You were calling him a prick at the start now your back tracking.

if you read my post later i said i called him a prick for turning his back own his country, not for wishing death upon him.

Prick.

And from the stories posted here you don't think that's a reasonable assesment to make?

They don't prove fuck all

Another two faced cunt.You were calling him a prick at the start now your back tracking.

He was never wishing death on him though.

The best thing in all of this is fans of Northern Irish clubs are all wishing him the best and surely it means more to them than you?

All the Linfield fans I know can't believe that this has happened.

if you read my post later i said i called him a prick for turning his back own his country, not for wishing death upon him.

Prick.

So your still calling him a prick?

Prick.

So your still calling him a prick?

Yes, for a reason not dealing with his health, you no the other hand are saddened by the news he hasnt died ? disgusting.

Shane bougherra duffy :praise:

:anguish::craphead:

I don't really care about international football all that much so from that prespective I don't really care which player plays for which national side.

However I was using Bougherra switching allegiances as a similar example because the history of Algeria and France is also steeped in political history which has caused tension between the nations in the past.

They don't prove fuck all

Where did I say it proved anything?

I'm done arguing with you. I'd rather spend my time on here having a reasoned debate with somebody worth debating with.