Give McCoist a chance

papaguy51

I have voiced my opinions on this many times, and to be honest, I'm still not entirely sure that McCoist is the right man to lead Rangers as manager of the side.

However, the fact that it's going to happen means that there's no point in voicing any more disapproval at it. Regardless of what any of us say, we will start the 2011/2012 season with Ally McCoist as manager.

There is a fear that McCoist will just be a continuation of Smith, but it's personally not something I buy into. Ally McCoist will want to be known as his own man, he'll want to be known as a creative coach that produced original ideas. While learning the basics from Smith is no negative point, history has shown that assistants who move on to the 'big job' don't often follow the ideologies of the men that went before them.

Does Mourinho manage like the late, great Bobby Robson? No.

Does Carlos Quieroz manage like Sir Alex? No.

Do Billy Davies' sides play like Craig Brown's sides? No.

So I don't think there's a need to worry there. If anything, the examples above have often taken the excellent parts of the 'off the pitch' management from their old bosses, such as man management, but often play in a totally different style.

It could also be said that we haven't seen the real McCoist managing yet. Although he was, to an extent, given the reigns in the Cup competitions, the spectre of Walter Smith still hovered above him. Ally knew that any little slip from him would put Rangers, but in the history books it would always say that it was Walter Smith that failed to progress. Given Ally's respect for the manager, I just don't think he was prepared to take as many 'risks' with Walter's team as he would with his own.

So I urge those like myself who weren't too keen on McCoist becoming manager to re-think and give him the time of day in terms of the big job. He'll need the support, but I hope to see an original, fresh approach from the man on the park. Cherry picking bits and pieces from Walter's superb media and man management would be no bad thing however.

Agreed,

Like you I'm not 100% convinced, but the one thing Ally has is the knowledge of what it takes to win at Rangers, both as a player and coach so it will give him a leg up over a PLG type guy who doesn't know the club. He'll want to put his own stamp on how he runs Rangers.

I like Ally but the thing that worries me is the fact he is supposed to be the one thats in charge of the cup games and IMO we labour in those games needing too many replays. He deserves a change though so I will back Ally :)

I don't think he's a guarantee for the job, regardless whats been said today.

I don't know how we can guarantee anybody a job in a year time, unless no takeover is on the cards.

Ally is his own man, and will do things his own way. But a year in football is a very long time indeed.

I have voiced my opinions on this many times, and to be honest, I'm still not entirely sure that McCoist is the right man to lead Rangers as manager of the side.

However, the fact that it's going to happen means that there's no point in voicing any more disapproval at it. Regardless of what any of us say, we will start the 2011/2012 season with Ally McCoist as manager.

There is a fear that McCoist will just be a continuation of Smith, but it's personally not something I buy into. Ally McCoist will want to be known as his own man, he'll want to be known as a creative coach that produced original ideas. While learning the basics from Smith is no negative point, history has shown that assistants who move on to the 'big job' don't often follow the ideologies of the men that went before them.

Does Mourinho manage like the late, great Bobby Robson? No.

Does Carlos Quieroz manage like Sir Alex? No.

Do Billy Davies' sides play like Craig Brown's sides? No.

So I don't think there's a need to worry there. If anything, the examples above have often taken the excellent parts of the 'off the pitch' management from their old bosses, such as man management, but often play in a totally different style.

It could also be said that we haven't seen the real McCoist managing yet. Although he was, to an extent, given the reigns in the Cup competitions, the spectre of Walter Smith still hovered above him. Ally knew that any little slip from him would put Rangers, but in the history books it would always say that it was Walter Smith that failed to progress. Given Ally's respect for the manager, I just don't think he was prepared to take as many 'risks' with Walter's team as he would with his own.

So I urge those like myself who weren't too keen on McCoist becoming manager to re-think and give him the time of day in terms of the big job. He'll need the support, but I hope to see an original, fresh approach from the man on the park. Cherry picking bits and pieces from Walter's superb media and man management would be no bad thing however.

Superb post! :clap:

I was not to keen also on ally getting the top job but with another season of learning from the master i feel more at ease with the idea!

I would also agree with your point on Ally wanting to bring his own style to the team, with this and the things he has learned from walter i think it might just work!

Bring on next season! WATP :21:

Seen this and thought I'd pop it in here:

y Andrew Dickson

Mark Hateley reckons Ally McCoist is the ideal man to replace Walter Smith as Rangers' manager next year.

The ex-England striker knows the club's record goalscorer as much as anyone having formed a hugely prolific partnership with him in the early 1990s.

They scored a phenomenal 77 goals between them in the 1992/93 season and since McCoist has gone into coaching, Hateley has looked on with interest.

Smith has mentored the 47-year-old since 2005, having first brought him into his coaching staff when he became Scotland manager.

Hateley feels the time will be right at the end of the forthcoming campaign for McCoist to become his own man, provided Gers remain successful.

He told Sky Sports News: "I would think he will be a good choice. Alistair has been working with Walter for a number of years now.

"He is a through-and-through Rangers supporter and he has been there both as a player and a coach.

"It would be a really positive appointment with the fans. Ally is a legend to them as a player and for what he has been doing alongside Walter.

"I think if everything goes well in the year ahead, I see no problems for him with regards to stepping up.

"It's something Alistair has his heart set on. It's always a big step up and in his role at the moment, he's the middle man between the dressing room and the manager.

"That would change and that'll be a big thing for him because he's a chatty guy who likes to be involved with the players.

"Once you get up to the next level in management, you have to take a step back from that but I feel he can do that.

"It'll be the hardest thing for him to cope with and we all love to be loved but I think with his coaching and the way he has been going, he'll handle that.

"Alistair has been standing in Walter's shadow for the last five years internationally and at club level but I feel he'll take it all in his stride."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100525/the-man-for-the-job_2254024_2059360

Walter cannot predict who is the next Rangers manager, Especially with the way the finances are at the moment.

A takeover in the next few months could see Walter and Ally out of a job.

Glad Walter has signed his extension though, Now we can start planning for next season.