Give McCoist a chance

papaguy51

I've been in this game long enough to know there is never a thing called "A done deal" especially when said deal is a year away, because so many things can happen in such a short space of time.

I've never been entirely sure about Coisty being the right man, but the only way we will ever find out is to give him the job and see what happens.We can't judge his ability as a future manager by what happens on the sidelines of a Scottish Cup run,so he may fall a bit before he climbs.

Us old heads can remember a manager who,in only his 2nd managerial job was sacked in 1978 by St. Mirren and their chairman at the time explained his decision by saying, " He had no managerial ability".

That inexperienced young man happened to be a Govan boy who once played for Rangers and went on to do not too bad as a manager in later years...His name?

Sir Alex Ferguson.:sherlock:

How exactly can they say that McCoist will be the next manager. It's not up to Walter Smith what happens and you never know whats round the corner we could be bought over and the new owner may want someone else.

He should use this coming season to get out there, watch as much football, and see the way other clubs work. In that, I mean he should travel, take in matches, study continental clubs... he has probably learned as much as he will under Walter Smith, it's time to widen his horizon. A large knowledge of different football cultures is what every top class manager has in his locker. Watch, listen, and speak to the best.

I'm not really for Ally McCoist becoming our next manager, and a lot can happen in a year, but if he does take over from Walter Smith, then I wish him all the best, and hopefully he goes on to acheive great things.

I have voiced my opinions on this many times, and to be honest, I'm still not entirely sure that McCoist is the right man to lead Rangers as manager of the side.

However, the fact that it's going to happen means that there's no point in voicing any more disapproval at it. Regardless of what any of us say, we will start the 2011/2012 season with Ally McCoist as manager.

There is a fear that McCoist will just be a continuation of Smith, but it's personally not something I buy into. Ally McCoist will want to be known as his own man, he'll want to be known as a creative coach that produced original ideas. While learning the basics from Smith is no negative point, history has shown that assistants who move on to the 'big job' don't often follow the ideologies of the men that went before them.

Does Mourinho manage like the late, great Bobby Robson? No.

Does Carlos Quieroz manage like Sir Alex? No.

Do Billy Davies' sides play like Craig Brown's sides? No.

So I don't think there's a need to worry there. If anything, the examples above have often taken the excellent parts of the 'off the pitch' management from their old bosses, such as man management, but often play in a totally different style.

It could also be said that we haven't seen the real McCoist managing yet. Although he was, to an extent, given the reigns in the Cup competitions, the spectre of Walter Smith still hovered above him. Ally knew that any little slip from him would put Rangers, but in the history books it would always say that it was Walter Smith that failed to progress. Given Ally's respect for the manager, I just don't think he was prepared to take as many 'risks' with Walter's team as he would with his own.

So I urge those like myself who weren't too keen on McCoist becoming manager to re-think and give him the time of day in terms of the big job. He'll need the support, but I hope to see an original, fresh approach from the man on the park. Cherry picking bits and pieces from Walter's superb media and man management would be no bad thing however.

Fantastic post Iain, abssolutely fantastic.

2 things to add....

Was Smith himself continuation of Souness? - Yes in regard to success

There is a fear that McCoist will just be a continuation of Smith

More success for Rangers? Good god I hope so!

history has shown that assistants who move on to the 'big job' don't often follow the ideologies of the men that went before them.

Very very true! Add to it the media role McCoist had, surrounded by experienced managers and players, witnessing Champions League first hand, the man has a seeming thirst for knowledge, and, to think he DIDNT pick up hints and ideas from these guys is folly.

Lets add the only bit you missed...

McCoist the player? The luckiest fucker on the planet, bar none. If he carries even just 1% of that luck into management, he will be winning games we have no right to win.

Once again, great post, great attitude

Onwards and upwards towards our "real" treble. Prso agrees :D

He should use this coming season to get out there, watch as much football, and see the way other clubs work. In that, I mean he should travel, take in matches, study continental clubs... he has probably learned as much as he will under Walter Smith, it's time to widen his horizon. A large knowledge of different football cultures is what every top class manager has in his locker. Watch, listen, and speak to the best.

I'm not really for Ally McCoist becoming our next manager, and a lot can happen in a year, but if he does take over from Walter Smith, then I wish him all the best, and hopefully he goes on to acheive great things.

As I said above mate, he did that when working for ITV. Surrounded by guys like Venables, Gullit, Wilkins etc

I think that he will have learnt much from that that a lot of us dont realise

I'm having a giggle reading this. I'm 100% behind Alistair Murdoch McCoist, have been since the day he signed as a young lad. After having sat in the Copland listening to cunts singing "Ally Ally get tae fuck" many years ago, I'd love to see him parade a European trophy back at them, with a few trebles thrown in for good measure.

The good thing with McCoist is that he will know if the job is too big for him, and he won't take it if he thinks it is. He knows how important it is to succeed at Ibrox moreso even than John Greig did IMO, and thats no slight on Greigy, its a compliment to Ally.

I have a good feeling that the current malaise at the piggery will be compounded by our continued success.

I'm having a giggle reading this. I'm 100% behind Alistair Murdoch McCoist, have been since the day he signed as a young lad. After having sat in the Copland listening to cunts singing "Ally Ally get tae fuck" many years ago, I'd love to see him parade a European trophy back at them, with a few trebles thrown in for good measure.

The good thing with McCoist is that he will know if the job is too big for him, and he won't take it if he thinks it is. He knows how important it is to succeed at Ibrox moreso even than John Greig did IMO, and thats no slight on Greigy, its a compliment to Ally.

I have a good feeling that the current malaise at the piggery will be compounded by our continued success.

ah the days of singing eh WVB :pipe:

Singing?? Am sure I have heard of that before.... its the thing the away support do now isnt it?

Singing?? Am sure I have heard of that before.... its the thing the away support do now isnt it?

only if they dont get told to shut up by the home support :pipe:

Think Ally would be ok :thumbup: Hopefully he would have learned a few things of Walter by then. What about Ian Durrant he is bound to have learned a few things of Walter to sitting in the box with him. Give him maybe some sort of roll as well

I have voiced my opinions on this many times, and to be honest, I'm still not entirely sure that McCoist is the right man to lead Rangers as manager of the side.

However, the fact that it's going to happen means that there's no point in voicing any more disapproval at it. Regardless of what any of us say, we will start the 2011/2012 season with Ally McCoist as manager.

There is a fear that McCoist will just be a continuation of Smith, but it's personally not something I buy into. Ally McCoist will want to be known as his own man, he'll want to be known as a creative coach that produced original ideas. While learning the basics from Smith is no negative point, history has shown that assistants who move on to the 'big job' don't often follow the ideologies of the men that went before them.

Does Mourinho manage like the late, great Bobby Robson? No.

Does Carlos Quieroz manage like Sir Alex? No.

Do Billy Davies' sides play like Craig Brown's sides? No.

So I don't think there's a need to worry there. If anything, the examples above have often taken the excellent parts of the 'off the pitch' management from their old bosses, such as man management, but often play in a totally different style.

It could also be said that we haven't seen the real McCoist managing yet. Although he was, to an extent, given the reigns in the Cup competitions, the spectre of Walter Smith still hovered above him. Ally knew that any little slip from him would put Rangers, but in the history books it would always say that it was Walter Smith that failed to progress. Given Ally's respect for the manager, I just don't think he was prepared to take as many 'risks' with Walter's team as he would with his own.

So I urge those like myself who weren't too keen on McCoist becoming manager to re-think and give him the time of day in terms of the big job. He'll need the support, but I hope to see an original, fresh approach from the man on the park. Cherry picking bits and pieces from Walter's superb media and man management would be no bad thing however.

Looks like we are going to have to give McCoist a chance.Certainly not my choice :anguish: but he will have my backing,

(to start with anyway) fingers crossed. :unsure:

At the end of the day even if we dont think Ally is the right man,we must all get behind him, and who knows he might turn out to be a great manager. Some fans are saying look at J.Greig when he got the job, and was a failure. But Greig was thrown in at the deep end, and at least Ally has worked and learned under Walter which will help him. At the end of the day we will judge Ally on results and hope that he is up to the job.

He's a born winner, big personality, Walter's showing him the ropes and he knows what Rangers means. I think he just might do very well, and I'd much rather a man like that was in charge than another Le Guen like figure.

I'm 100% behind McCoist becoming manager.

Many people say that a good player doesn't necessarily make for a good manager but you have to look at McCoist's character. He signed for Rangers and it's fair to say that he wasn't firing on all cylinders at first, hence the nickname 'The Judge'.

But he bounced back to become the greatest goalscorer this club has ever had, not just down to his physical ability - but his mental ability in recovering from missing a sitter, putting it behind him and scoring the all important winner or equaliser. He seems to be a guy who never seems to get bogged down in negativity and always looks at the bright side. He was part of the famous 9IAR team spirit which was a massive factor in their success, so he'll know who to make sure the dressing room are pulling together and morale is high.

Ultimately, as said many times in this thread already, he has been mentored by a manager who for the last 3 years has had to fight against the odds and demand the very best from a limited squad. This will be nothing new to Ally McCoist.

I have total confidence in his man-management; as for the tactical aspect, he'll have to do some research into different backgrounds as Papaguy mentioned earlier, but over time he'll learn and already he'll know how to keep his team organised on the field.

Good luck to him when/if it happens.