Scotland not taking advantage of a good opportunity

Now we are all aware of the International friendlies doing the rounds at the moment, but I'm sitting here wondering why we didn't take advantage of arranging a friendly game. It's not like we would have been short of offers... Considering most countries who qualified for the World cup, would have wanted to play against a team with a British style of football.

Other part is we have just installed a new manager in Craig Levein, surly he would have wanted another game under his belt and a chance to experiment more, when the 2012 European qualifiers are fast approaching.

Maybe I missed the reason why we never took a friendly on, but to me it seems like a really good opportunity missed :disappointment:

Maybe I missed the reason why we never took a friendly on, but to me it seems like a really good opportunity missed :disappointment:

I think you did miss the reason big man.

I'm sure Levein said he was ditching a pre-season tour as not to be shit to the players.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152102&view=findpost&p=1057982983

Done a bit of Robert Research:

"I had a long chat with Gordon (Smith] early on," said Levein. "While the Czech Republic game is on the agenda, there was a tour planned to Australia and New Zealand on the 25 May, which would include two games and be between ten and 14 days long. I have knocked that on the head.

"I just think that if we have an important qualifying campaign coming up next season do I want to be flying players, who have got families and who have worked their backsides off all season, out to Australia for ten days? That eats into their holiday time.

"We have a date in August, which I will utilise," he continued. "And then we are into the campaign. There might be some slight benefits from taking them away, but those would be vastly outweighed by them losing their recuperation time."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Spirit-of-Christmas-in-the.5936823.jp

Did Levein really say that Boab?

I find that a bit puzzling... Especially with his lack of experience at this level, and the little window he gets to operate with. That he would just discard a opportunity to get as many players as possible to meet up and experiment.

Now... No doubt we would have had a few call offs, but even so. He could have got a second string to join up with a few youth players. It would have gave him and these players valuable experience, and if we needed them for the qualifying campaign further down the line. They wouldn't have been brought in cold.

if it stops one of our players from potentially picking up needless injuries in meaningless friendlies and stops us having a bunch of morons embarrass us by singing about a fucken deer for 90 minutes, then im fucking happy.

"I had a long chat with Gordon (Smith] early on," said Levein. "While the Czech Republic game is on the agenda, there was a tour planned to Australia and New Zealand on the 25 May, which would include two games and be between ten and 14 days long. I have knocked that on the head.

"I just think that if we have an important qualifying campaign coming up next season do I want to be flying players, who have got families and who have worked their backsides off all season, out to Australia for ten days? That eats into their holiday time.

"We have a date in August, which I will utilise," he continued. "And then we are into the campaign. There might be some slight benefits from taking them away, but those would be vastly outweighed by them losing their recuperation time."

Cheers Boab :cheers:

Well that answers the question, do I agree with it... No!

Could see the point if we had players that were playing in European finals etc, but this season has been kind to a lot.

Cheers Boab :cheers:

Well that answers the question, do I agree with it... No!

Could see the point if we had players that were playing in European finals etc, but this season has been kind to a lot.

Your welcome, wish I had the same memory for routes driving about Glasgow :BELM:

Walter and Eck both were against playing needless friendlies, instead favouring squad get togethers, neither of them had experience at International level, and like Levein knows most of the players.

If he is as successful as them I'll be happy, hopefully he stays a little longer as well.