AJ Denies Walter Signed Due To Ellis

Guardian

Why is he choosing now to drop this bombshell and why is his story so different to what he has said previously about the tax query. Now he's saying it is a Rangers matter, whereas before he said it was an MIH matter, then later Rangers only had a very small liability as it was mostly an MIH matter.

I don't trust this man at all.

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston insists that manager Walter Smith's contract signing is not connected with ongoing takeover talks.

Owner Sir David Murray and Andrew Ellis met on Tuesday as Smith and his backroom staff were penning new deals.

"The timing is totally coincidental," Johnston told BBC Scotland.

"The discussions with the management team were separate from and distinct from any concurrent conversations that might have been taking place."

Property developer Ellis has been exploring a possible bid for Murray's majority shareholding in the Scottish champions since March.

Earlier this month, Johnston spoke of his frustration at the wait for a concrete offer from Ellis, who had already publicly indicated his preference for Smith to stay on.

The bank was very helpful and that has allowed us to start planning for the next season

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston

"It's not a question of being fed up waiting," Johnston added in reference to the announcement of Smith's decision to remain at the helm for one final season.

"He can take as much time as he wants. But, as far as the club is concerned, we are moving ahead with our business, demonstrating to the fans that the ship is stable and knows where it's going and how fast it's going.

"We have to move on and be prepared on behalf of Rangers FC to structure a team for the next season.

"We have reached an overall agreement with the bank in terms of a business plan and we are acting as though there is no reliance on a change of ownership.

"If there is a change in ownership and it works in the best interests of all the parties involved then we'll address it when it arises.

"Our first mission was to develop a business plan with the bank that would work for the 2010/11 financial year.

"The bank was very helpful and that has allowed us to start planning for the next season.

Smith (centre), McCoist and McDowall have all signed new contracts

"Once that was in place, we engaged with Walter, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall as we had planned to do.

"The first point of business was to put together the management team.

"It was a very busy three days of conversations and I'm very pleased to say there was a meeting of all the minds involved.

"We ended up with an arrangement that I know Walter is happy with and we as a club are certainly happy with."

Johnston also confirmed that the Murray Group has appealed against an assessment from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) over a long-standing tax issue that relates to payments made into offshore accounts.

"It is a Rangers issue, but it is being masterminded by the Murray Group's financial and legal advisors," revealed Johnston.

"The enquiry is an ongoing investigation from the Inland Revenue, which has been around for several years.

"It would appear to have heated up because of recent media stories."

Didn't he always say it was MIH dealing with it? I cant remember him denying it was our problem.

im sure he said it was an MIH problem.

I cant remember mate i'll have to find the article

This matter has been something that the Murray Group have been more involved with on a day-to-day basis, so I will continue to defer to them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1269350/Taxing-times-Rangers-chairman-Alastair-Johnston-set-fly-fresh-Ibrox-twist.html#ixzz0p3nkAEta

Just looks like he has always said it's them that's dealing with it,in the same article he states

'Tax issues are never clear-cut but all I can say is we have taken a lot of legal advice on the issue.

Always been our problem but left to MIH to deal with it.

Nothing new at all.

The EBT's appeared on our books so anyone who thought it was nothing to do with Rangers were kidding themselves on. Of course the chairman never thought it wasn't a rangers issue, however his previous comments were framed by the press.

No one buying the club will take on the liability for this tax issue though, it will be the MIH group that settle it in the end IMO....

I can guess why the OP has tried to use this to attack AJ......

it was martin bain who said it was largley MIH problem

I may be wrong mate, but im sure, it wasnt.

not that it matters a jot, i think generalcartmanlee, summed it up perfectly.

we are reading too much into what each individual is saying guys,so here it is in a nut shell.

If its a Rangers problem then it is a MIH problem,we are one and if the club is sold Murray has stated that the tax issue will remain in MIH hands

we are reading too much into what each individual is saying guys,so here it is in a nut shell.

If its a Rangers problem then it is a MIH problem,we are one and if the club is sold Murray has stated that the tax issue will remain in MIH hands

(tu)

:lol: That will be true then!

Nothing new in the story at all, where did it come from? Might be a clue

Nothing new at all.

The EBT's appeared on our books so anyone who thought it was nothing to do with Rangers were kidding themselves on. Of course the chairman never thought it wasn't a rangers issue, however his previous comments were framed by the press.

No one buying the club will take on the liability for this tax issue though, it will be the MIH group that settle it in the end IMO....

This was from the BBC website.

I don't know why you would think I have any motive in using this to attack AJ. I didn't write the article, merely posted it, and my own feelings on it.

We have had a day of good news then AJ comes out and pishes all over it, and I simply wondered why ?

As others have said, the story keeps changing, so it's not just me.

Nothing new at all.

I don't know why you would think I have any motive in using this to attack AJ. I didn't write the article, merely posted it, and my own feelings on it.

We have had a day of good news then AJ comes out and pishes all over it, and I simply wondered why ?

maybe he knows folks will think the wrong conclusions with what all happened yesterday, and folks are starting to think something other than the banks giving a bit of help here, afterall it looks like everyone has a source but there are no facts of yet, maybe he is right in doing what he is and stating the facts, then again maybe no eh

Nothing new at all.

By re-itterating what he has already stated when asked?

I dont know wht GCL meant about your reasons, since I dont know you, but, I cant see any pishing all over anything pal ;)

Did AJ do your mum? You seem to be looking for something that isnt there

Nothing new at all.

I dont know wht GCL meant about your reasons, since I dont know you, but, I cant see any pishing all over anything pal ;)

AJ knows Tiger Woods though :sherlock:

Nothing new at all.

AJ knows Tiger Woods though :sherlock:

I like your thinking, that could explain it :pipe:

I'm starting to become very wary of AJ now

Yeh i'm starting to dislike him.

I don't see what he's said wrong?

The whole interview is quite good to listen to.

Nothing really just don't really like him I dont know why :lol: