1960-61 Cup Winners Cup Final

minstral

Was just thinking back to the final. The enclosure was 7 shilling and sixpence, 37 and a half pence. We wore blue and white striped shirts for both games, plus we sung what we wanted as there was no pc mob telling you what to sing. We had a great Protestant support,and Rangers were a community and a way of life and strong identity.

We also beat Ferencvaros, Borussia, Wolverhampton, and that was us in to the final against Fiorentina who were a typical Italian team, great skills but a team full of cheats. We had 80,000 at Ibrox but lost 2-0 and ended up hitting high balls in to their penalty area all night long which was a waste of time, also Eric Caldow missed a penalty which did not help. I just wish we could those days back again only for the support when we had fans that loved our club, and not like some of our fans who now use it as a hobby.

Football question, I also believe that the Manager at that time, played many players out of positions that night?

Boab i am sure he played the players in their right positions apart from Scott he was playing through the middle as Millar was injured, but it was a long time ago. :D

Football question, I also believe that the Manager at that time, played many players out of positions that night?

You may be referring to the ECWC 1967 final against Bayern Munich in Nuremberg.

Big Roger Hynd was played at centre forward that evening. The team that evening was described as, "a team of half backs". It was the conclusion to the disaster at Berwick three months previously. John Lawrence had chased both Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean from the club in the immediate wake of Berwick. Had Jim Forrest in particular played in Nuremberg, I believe our first European trophy would have been secured that evening in '67.

Big Roger Hynd was played at centre forward that evening. The team that evening was described as, "a team of half backs". It was the conclusion to the disaster at Berwick three months previously. John Lawrence had chased both Jim Forrest and Dandy McLean from the club in the immediate wake of Berwick. Had Jim Forrest in particular played in Nuremberg, I believe our first European trophy would have been secured that evening in '67.

Covenanter i agree with you and think that Boab is getting mixed up. And i also agree with you about Jim Forrest. (tu)

In the 60/61 campaign I'm sure we beat Borussia Moncengladbach 8-0 at Ibrox and 11-0 on aggregate. I take it I'm right to assume that the Wolverhampton Town song came from that season when we played down at Molineux and cuffed them.

In the 60/61 campaign I'm sure we beat Borussia Moncengladbach 8-0 at Ibrox and 11-0 on aggregate. I take it I'm right to assume that the Wolverhampton Town song came from that season when we played down at Molineux and cuffed them.

You are correct, except that I think it was a draw in Wolverhampton.

Tumshie you are spot on, and Brand scored 3 goals that night.

You are correct, except that I think it was a draw in Wolverhampton.

Thats right Manti it was a draw away from home and Scott scored our goal.

Covenanter i agree with you and think that Boab is getting mixed up. And i also agree with you about Jim Forrest. (tu)

Cheers boys (tu)

That must go down as one of the greatest European performances of all time as well as possibly the greatest team in Rangers history. European Cup semi-finalists in 1960, Cup Winners Cup finalists in 1961. Just a pity we couldn't lift the trophy

And of course by reaching that Final we became the first British Club to play in a European Final.

There had been London and Birmingham selects who played in earlier Fairs Cup (now Europa League) Finals before that though.

That must go down as one of the greatest European performances of all time as well as possibly the greatest team in Rangers history. European Cup semi-finalists in 1960, Cup Winners Cup finalists in 1961. Just a pity we couldn't lift the trophy

It was a great team but for me the 1962-63 was the best Rangers team that i have seen.

One thing that's always stuck in my memory from that night was the performance of Kurt Hamrin. He played right wing for Fiorentina that night and took Caldow apart, and Caldow was some full back. He was small, tricky, played with the socks round the ankles, ie no shinpads at a time when full backs could get away with a few kicks, but he was just awesome that night. He was Swedish and had played in the 58 world cup final. I'd never seen anyone quite like him before then. A really brilliant footballer.

And of course by reaching that Final we became the first British Club to play in a European Final.

There had been London and Birmingham selects who played in earlier Fairs Cup (now Europa League) Finals before that though.

ANORAK ALERT! ANORAK ALERT!

A London XI, featuring players from numerous capital clubs, was beaten 8-2 on aggregate by Barcelona in the 1955-58 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup final -- played over THREE seasons and open only to cities that had hosted European trade fairs.

But the final of the 1958-60 Fairs Cup tournament (played over TWO seasons) plus the 1960-61 final both featured Birmingham City, NOT a Birmingham select.

So they were the first British club to feature in a Euro final.

EXCEPT that the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup was not organised or recognised by UEFA until 1972.

So Rangers were the first British club to feature in a UEFA-sanctioned final. :wink:

PS, With the exception of two seasons, the Fairs Cup was limited to one team from each city.

So when CLYDE finished third in the old First Division in 1967, they were NOT allowed to take part, because Rangers were the Glasgow representatives (Aberdeen had qualified for the Cup Winners Cup as runners-up). <cr>

Was just thinking back to the final. The enclosure was 7 shilling and sixpence, 37 and a half pence. We wore blue and white striped shirts for both games, plus we sung what we wanted as there was no pc mob telling you what to sing. We had a great Protestant support,and Rangers were a community and a way of life and strong identity.

We also beat Ferencvaros, Borussia, Wolverhampton, and that was us in to the final against Fiorentina who were a typical Italian team, great skills but a team full of cheats. We had 80,000 at Ibrox but lost 2-0 and ended up hitting high balls in to their penalty area all night long which was a waste of time, also Eric Caldow missed a penalty which did not help. I just wish we could those days back again only for the support when we had fans that loved our club, and not like some of our fans who now use it as a hobby.

i wont forget the penalty.when the ref pointed at the spot he was surounded by purple shirts and it took about 5 mins. to get the kick taken,the keeper ran strait at caldow and eric had to try and shoot wider but,too wide it should have been retaken but the ref had had enough bottled it and gave a goal kick.if i remember was doug baillie not at no.9 for jimmy millar? he was 9 at wolves game.

You can't forget the shinny bright blue shorts either, almost looked like silk

ANORAK ALERT! ANORAK ALERT!

A London XI, featuring players from numerous capital clubs, was beaten 8-2 on aggregate by Barcelona in the 1955-58 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup final -- played over THREE seasons and open only to cities that had hosted European trade fairs.

But the final of the 1958-60 Fairs Cup tournament (played over TWO seasons) plus the 1960-61 final both featured Birmingham City, NOT a Birmingham select.

So they were the first British club to feature in a Euro final.

EXCEPT that the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup was not organised or recognised by UEFA until 1972.

So Rangers were the first British club to feature in a UEFA-sanctioned final. :wink:

PS, With the exception of two seasons, the Fairs Cup was limited to one team from each city.

So when CLYDE finished third in the old First Division in 1967, they were NOT allowed to take part, because Rangers were the Glasgow representatives (Aberdeen had qualified for the Cup Winners Cup as runners-up). <cr>

This was a bit of an injustice for Clyde given that they did not play in Glasgow at the time.

A snippet from a newspaper report at the time of the first leg:

Rangers can claim with some justification that the superior football crafts of their opponents proved less of a stumbling block than their opponents' mastery of the arts of body checking, tripping and almost every other infringement of the football rule book. Rangers failed to realise, at an early stage, that the high cross into the goalmouth was not a device likely to outwit the tall Italian defenders, and they persisted with this tactic throughout the match. In 11 minutes Davis, in an attempting a pass-back to his goalkeeper, half-hit the ball. Petris got to it before the outrushing Ritchie and slipped it inside to Milan who glided the ball expertly into the empty net. 6 minutes later Rangers were awarded a soft penalty when McMillan fell in the box after a challenge by Orzan. After heated arguments between the referee, the Italian players and an over enthusiastic Italian who had run onto the field, Caldow stepped up to take the kick and shot wide of the target. Fiorentina were quite content to let Rangers do the bulk of the attacking and to reply on long passes to their wingers, Hamrin and Petris, who had the legs of their respective opponents. Fiorentina's 2nd goal arrived in the final minute of the match. Milan dispossessed Shearer and square-passed to Hamrin, who flicked it over for the inside-left to score from close range.

I bet the Italian who ran on to the pitch was from the garngad !

:sherlock:

i wont forget the penalty.when the ref pointed at the spot he was surounded by purple shirts and it took about 5 mins. to get the kick taken,the keeper ran strait at caldow and eric had to try and shoot wider but,too wide it should have been retaken but the ref had had enough bottled it and gave a goal kick.if i remember was doug baillie not at no.9 for jimmy millar? he was 9 at wolves game.

Naw Mate! Alex Scott was wearing the #9 shirt in that 1st leg at Ibrox and Robert Hume was wearing the #11 shirt.

Our team that night was: #1. Billy Ritchie.

#2.Captain Cutlass. #5. Bill Paterson. #3.Eric Caldow.

#4.Harold Davis. #6. Jim Baxter.

#11.Bobby Hume. #7. Davie Wilson.

#8. Ian McMillan. #10. Ralph Brand.

#9.Alex Scott.

Naw Mate! Alex Scott was wearing the #9 shirt in that 1st leg at Ibrox and Robert Hume was wearing the #11 shirt.

Our team that night was: #1. Billy Ritchie.

#2.Captain Cutlass. #5. Bill Paterson. #3.Eric Caldow.

#4.Harold Davis. #6. Jim Baxter.

#11.Bobby Hume. #7. Davie Wilson.

#8. Ian McMillan. #10. Ralph Brand.

#9.Alex Scott.

Check ! :sherlock: