Fletcher set for Wolves move

Skysports.com understands Burnley striker Steven Fletcher is set to move to Wolves in a move worth £7.5million.

Fletcher joined the Clarets last summer from Hibernianspacer.gif for £3million but following his side's relegation to the Championship last season could now be on his way out of Turf Moor.

The 23-year-old Scotland international put in a number of admirable performances for Burnleyspacer.gif last term, despite Brian Laws' men going on a terrible run which saw them drop out of the top-flight at the first time of asking.

Wolves, on the other hand, found some good form this year and steered clear of the Premier League's relegation zone, finishing the campaign 15th in the table.

Manager Mick McCarthyspacer.gif has signalled his intention to strengthen his squad during the off-season, and Fletcher is understood to be high on his list of priorities.

Wolves only managed 32 league goals last term - the fewest of any team in the division - and Fletcher could provide the necessary quality to pose more of a threat in the final third.

In a struggling Burnley side he managed eight goals in 35 league starts, and is now set for a big-money move to Molineux.

And it appears Wolves duo Wayne Hennesseyspacer.gif and Chris Iwelumospacer.gif are set to go the other way and join the Clarets on loan.

Goalkeeper Hennessey did make 13 Premier League starts last season but is not Wolves' No.1 stopper, while striker Iwelumo did not find the net once in 17 appearances.

And some people still doubt that Boyd would be a success in England................

Totally different players. I for one am certainly not convinced Boyd would be a success in the EPL although Flecther certainly did better than I expected.

I was hoping Flecther would get a move back to the EPL so I'm glad it looks like he's got a deal. Don't really agree that he could of done better than Wolves, think he'll just be glad to be back in the top flight.

The fee does seem a bit high on first look but I suppose if you take into account that he still has years left on his contract, is only 23 and English transfer budgets are huge, it's not too high.

The money in the English football market really is insane.

It annoys me that 15th place in the EPL can spend £7.5million on one player. No other league in the world has that. Will Sporting Gijon be doing something similar? Absolutely not. £7.5million on one striker who isn't worth anywhere near that. I fucking hate English football sometimes.

:BELM:

It annoys me that 15th place in the EPL can spend £7.5million on one player. No other league in the world has that. Will Sporting Gijon be doing something similar? Absolutely not. £7.5million on one striker who isn't worth anywhere near that. I fucking hate English football sometimes.

Agree Kev.

Staggering is right. We can't sell one of the best CBs out there for half that. Maybe Real Madrid will comein for him again :craphead:

TBH I think a lot of folk exaggerate how good Boogie is, that and the fact he has already tried and failed in England mean he's probably only worth about half that.....

Spot on.

One of the most improved players, with not a bad record in the EPL last season considering the team he was in. £7.5million is a bit much, but its the EPL and players with potential with a sell on at a profit tag... Will go for these types of prices.

It's only at matter of time before he becomes Scotland no1 striker, and this move will be good for him to continue his development at the top level.

Good news for Scotland to have another striker in the EPL and although I agree the fee is a wee bitty ott he has loads of potential and could go on to be worth double that in years to come if he continues to improve - which he should do with more experience in the top division.

Remember last season was his debut season in the EPL with a weak side. His record was more than decent and I reckon he will bang in 15 plus this season at Wolves.

btw For my money Boyd would get more goals than Fletcher if he went to Wolves. :wink:

And some people still doubt that Boyd would be a success in England................

Boyd would be a success with lower league teams in the premiership with the likes of Wolves, Bolton, Blacburn, West ham and Stoke, but in terms of making to the likes of Man utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool then obviously not.

I was impressed with Fletcher last season, and obviously that's a huge sum of money, but I think it's a good move for him. However, when a team as shit as Wolves can afford that much on one player, it really makes me hope the EPL goes tits up soon.