Rangers to offer midfielder Kevin Thomson new contract

supermac

_47941840_thomson_466b_sns.jpg

By Alasdair Lamont999999.gif

Rangers are to offer Kevin Thomson a new contract, as Walter Smith begins planning for the coming season.

The defensive midfielder has one year remaining on his current deal and has stated in recent weeks his desire to stay at Ibrox beyond that period.

Smith sees the 25-year-old as a key figure and is keen to secure him on a new contract now to avoid the prospect of him leaving for free next year.

Thomson signed from Hibs in January 2007 on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

The player has suffered two serious knee injuries in his career, the most recent being in November 2008, but on each occasion Thomson has fought his way back to full fitness and first-team football.

o.gif He turned out for Rangers on 39 occasions last season, including substitute appearances, and,despite being sent off in the final against St Mirren, picked up a Co-operative Insurance Cup winner's medal as well as playing a significant role in his team's retention of the Scottish Premier League title.

Meanwhile, Rangers have not given up hope of keeping striker Kris Boyd, with discussions continuing between the club and the player's representative.

There have been no offers for World Cup-bound Algerian defender Madjid Bougherra, who has two years remaining on his current deal.

Very happy about this. Our next captain hopefully!

It's been quoted in several other threads but, worthy of it's own.

This is great news and yes, hopefully our next captain. I was about to pre-order the new kit with him on the back, but was worried he'd leave :(

deal the current players first, clear the ones that dont want to be here and bring in quality. The most important pre season in years. If it works out for us we could leave the mhanky mob behind for a few years.

He should get a new contract just for sorting out Robbie Keane...

But seriously, love Thomson.. great player. But... he needs to tone it down especially in the Champions league. His challenges will see him booked far too often.

Great news though. Glad to see all this positive stuff coming out of Ibrox for a change. :21: :21: :21: :21: :21: :21:

2010/11 is a big season for Kevin Thomson. He has to remain injury free, and hit the ground running from the start.

His Rangers career has been too stop start.

But seriously, love Thomson.. great player. But... he needs to tone it down especially in the Champions league. His challenges will see him booked far too often.

Great news though. Glad to see all this positive stuff coming out of Ibrox for a change. :21: :21: :21: :21: :21: :21:

He doesn't need to tone anything down, the myth that he get's booked far too often is ridiculous!

He get's booked, and some jump on him for it, yet McCulloch get's booked most games, and he's the man <cr>

Take that side of the game out of Kevin Thomson, and he's a different player. I'd rrather have someone like Thomson, than a complete and utter shitebag who pulls out of tackles, and is not interested in getting stuck in. He could cut out the needless lunges, but I wouldn't ask him to hold back in the challenge.

He doesn't need to tone anything down, the myth that he get's booked far too often is ridiculous!

He get's booked, and some jump on him for it, yet McCulloch get's booked most games, and he's the man <cr>

Take that side of the game out of Kevin Thomson, and he's a different player. I'd rrather have someone like Thomson, than a complete and utter shitebag who pulls out of tackles, and is not interested in getting stuck in. He could cut out the needless lunges, but I wouldn't ask him to hold back in the challenge.

Absolutely.

Much like Rooney, take the aggression away and you'll lose the player.

I love Thomsom, he's also totally underrated with the ball at his feet as well.

Tying up Thommo on a new deal was crucial because we lose a lot of authority in that midfield when he isn't playing.I love having at least 1 player that is fearless and full of aggression in my teams and Thomson ticks all the boxes required.

He makes some silly challenges at times that sees him pick up uncalled for cautions, but he will improve that side of his game and still keep the mongrel in him that allows him to make opponents very wary of getting tackled by him.

He's a definite Rangers captain in the making.:pipe: