Norwich City appoint Rangers' Chester as chief scout

supermac

Norwich City have appointed Ewan Chester from Rangers as the club's new chief scout.

Chester's association with the Scottish Premier League champions goes back more than 20 years, having arrived at Ibrox in a dual coach/scout role back in 1987 after a brief spell with Oldham Athletic.

In 2004 he left Glasgow to join fellow SPL side Livingston, but was only there for six months before joining Fulham to help reconstruct their scouting department.

However, in May 2007, Chester returned to Glasgow with Walter Smith where he has been responsible for their extensive network of scouts around Europe.

Norwich City boss Paul Lambert told the club's official website: "Ewan is a top, top scout and he will be a first-class addition to our team here at Norwich City. He's got excellent experience and connections throughout Britain and Europe, which will be a really major plus for us as we continue to identify the players we want to be part of things here."

Chief Executive David McNally commented: "This is a really important appointment for Norwich City Football Club.

"The role of the chief scout at any top-class football club is becoming ever more vital and in Ewan we have been able to recruit one of the very best in European football.

"We are delighted that he has agreed to join the club at this important time and his appointment further underlines the club's ambitious plans for the near future."

Disappointing do we have any scouts now wacko.gif

Our scouting is a complete shambles, has been for years n years

no great loss, he got paid for doing hee haw anyway

Glad hes gone tbh

harsh. he must have searched 'good, cheap football player' into youtube many a time :BELM:

Sandy Jardine :anguish:

If Ellis comes in, and is willing to invest, one of the first things he should be looking at is restructuring the scouting department.

Im sending my CV in as we speak (tu) i'll find us some good players :D

Completely taking this thread off topic a bit, but recently just found out Joachim Björklund is a scout for Valencia. <cr>

Is an ex Valencia player, so that matches up in that respect.

Completely taking this thread off topic a bit, but recently just found out Joachim Björklund is a scout for Valencia. <cr>

I know he's a ex player, but never thought he would become a scout.

boaberto beat me too it , its not unheard of of ex players returning to clubs in a staff role capacity , Ulf Kirsten is a scout or coach at Leverkusen ,leonardo was technical director before getting the managers job , durrant and coisty etc .

I know he's a ex player, but never thought he would become a scout.

Think its the direction im gonna try and take my career into , you get paid , to travel round the world , watch football games and make the odd recommendation , its like a fecking dream job :D

boaberto beat me too it , its not unheard of of ex players returning to clubs in a staff role capacity , Ulf Kirsten is a scout or coach at Leverkusen ,leonardo was technical director before getting the managers job , durrant and coisty etc .

I like this nickname :)

Sandy Jardine :anguish:

If Ellis comes in, and is willing to invest, one of the first things he should be looking at is restructuring the scouting department.

Im sending my CV in as we speak (tu) i'll find us some good players :D

How good a job would that be? Getting paid to watch football, and then help your club find the best players...brilliant.

Or they could just come on here, and steal names :pipe:

it would be heaven , if the club could sort me out accomodation etc then all i would ask in return is my expenses paid and i would do it for no salary , tis my wee dream .....

I like this nickname :)

Boaberto baggio it is then

Yeah I know it's not unheard of ex-players taking up staff roles, I just never seen him taking up a scouting role. Just like I don't see Allan McGregor sticking round football after he's hung up his boots.