Which Nationalities have done best here...

Fiogh

Was having a wee think about this last night, and was thinking why havent we signed more german/german based players? The players we have had seemed to have adapted really well to our culture and style of football, and the climate in some areas of germany is very similar to here. I wouldnt say there is the exact same mentality between scots and germans but there is enough similarities that must make a move here easier and with a higher chance of being a success.

Both Klos and Albertz were fantastic signings, and the fees we got them for was an absolute steal. I realise this was almost 10 years ago now, but surely given our financial situation in that time we should have been looking for more players from Deutschland? I even rated Nerlinger but thought he joined at a bad time.

What do you guys think?

Neither Klos or Albertz got a look in at international level principally because they were playing in Scotland.

True, but they wouldnt need to be international class to play for us. Plenty of players that never play for thier national teams that are plenty good for top level club football.

And I think Klos was unfortunate given the goalkeepers ahead of him at the time, doubt if he was playing elsewhere it would have made a massive amount of difference.

Likewise with albertz, the German midfield at that time was fantastic.

I was thinking of starting a really similar topic....freaky :pipe:

The Argentines that have come here have tended to do well, even Nieto scored an average of a goal a game.

I'm sure you'd have put it more eloquently than me :craphead:

Argies - Caniggia, Nieto, Juan Sara... struggling to think of others.

The french have been a mixed bunch, for every boumsong theres been a guivarc'h.

I was thinking of starting a really similar topic....freaky :pipe:

The Argentines that have come here have tended to do well, even Nieto scored an average of a goal a game.

I'm sure you'd have put it more eloquently than me :craphead:

Argies - Caniggia, Nieto, Juan Sara... struggling to think of others.

The french have been a mixed bunch, for every boumsong theres been a guivarc'h.

For every boumsong theres a jerome rothen...

And I think Klos was unfortunate given the goalkeepers ahead of him at the time, doubt if he was playing elsewhere it would have made a massive amount of difference.

Klos at his best was superior to Jens Lehmann. It was purely the fact Lehmann was playing for a top EPL side and Klos was just in the SPL that kicked him down the pecking order in the German national side.

You'd think by now that people would have learnt that generlising by nationality is pointless.

BTW O/P...you forgot Nerlinger.

A player brought up playing football in, say, Mexico, will find the transition to Scottish football harder than a player who has been playing in England.

Wrong. A player brought up playing football in, say, Mexico, is more likely to find the transition to Scottish football harder than a player who has been playing in England. It could be the Mexican is a Novo type and the Englishman a Jeffers.

You'd think by now that people would have learnt that generlising by nationality is pointless.

BTW O/P...you forgot Nerlinger.

A player brought up playing football in, say, Mexico, will find the transition to Scottish football harder than a player who has been playing in England.

Wrong. A player brought up playing football in, say, Mexico, is more likely to find the transition to Scottish football harder than a player who has been playing in England. It could be the Mexican is a Novo type and the Englishman a Jeffers.

Novo had already spent a few years playing football in Scotland though. My point is that in Mexico, it's a different climate, a different language, a different culture. It's obvious that statistically a player who has spent a lot of time playing in England should find adapting to Scottish football easier than the Mexican.

Your argument does have some logic to it but as the guy above said, there are exceptions to every rule!

Scots have provided many of our greats, good few Englishment few NI (cant think of any welsh at the moment) Dutch, Swedish, Italian, USA, Germans, Argentinians, French, Spanish the odd Balkan country or two, Algeria - Pretty ecletic mix actually when you think about it!