Everton sign Beckford

Boab

Everton have signed prolific striker Jermaine Beckford.

The 26-year old frontman has penned a four-year deal at Goodison Park after being released from his contract with Leeds United last week.

Scorer of 31 goals last season, Beckford had been linked with several top-flight sides but Everton moved quickly to secure his signature.

He passed a medical at Finch Farm and will join his new team-mates when they reconvene after the summer break.

The London-born centre-forward was a massive success during his three-year stay at Elland Road - scoring 31 goals last season to help fire the club to promotion, including the winning strike in the crucial last game against Bristol Rovers and, of course, he knocked Manchester United out of the FA Cup at Old Trafford.

He was subsequently named as the League One Player of the Year, an accolade he also collected in 2008.

Beckford began his career as a youngster at Chelsea but failed to break into the first team and after being released from Stamford Bridge he drifted into non-league football with Wealdstone.

His sensational form soon attracted Football League scouts and he joined Leeds United in March 2006, where, after loan spells at Carlisle and Scunthorpe, he established himself as a goalscorer of genuine quality.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Got a shite touch and won't be able to round defenders like he did in league one.

(tu)

I think he will struggle.

My bro in law who is a ST holder at bellend road couldnt wait to see the back of him,

I've seen him a couple o times this season and he's been pretty shite, would miss 5/6 deent chances for every goal scored, leeds would of walked the league if they had a red hot striker with the amount of chances they were making.

Though I hope it works out for him as would love to rub it in the scummers :craphead:

He could be a good player for Everton, or he could just stay on the bench for the whole season, we'll see. But at the end of the day - he joined them for free. And for a player with such a goalscoring record - imo this is a good move for Everton.

He could be a good player for Everton, or he could just stay on the bench for the whole season, we'll see. But at the end of the day - he joined them for free. And for a player with such a goalscoring record - imo this is a good move for Everton.

watch for those splinters :wink: