Kris Boyd: time to start a new chapter

ryan_rfc

AT Rangers he stood ten feet tall.

At Celtic he might as well have been six feet under.

Kris Boyd will officially end his Ibrox love affair this summer.

But the prolific No9 insists a move to Parkhead would have made his life one not worth living.

As SunSport exclusively revealed the Hoops hierarchy made a sensational move for the 26-year-old.

But last night Boyd said: "Right now I'm considering my future and have a lot to think about in the coming days.

"I know there's been talk of me going from Rangers to Celtic.

"But if I did that it wouldn't be the penalty box I'd be in, it would be a wooden box!

"I'll sit down with my family over the next few days and come to a decision. But swapping Ibrox for Parkhead will not be happening."

Boyd has spent the last few months agonising over his future.

Now he's arrived at the decision which will disappoint Rangers fans.

He believes his time is up. He wants to go.

After four and a half years at the club - and an incredible 127 goals - Boyd sees his future away from the club of his dreams.

He added: "I've won everything I hoped to win at Rangers.

"I've been the top goalscorer at the club every season since I arrived from Kilmarnock. It's now time to move on.

"This isn't a decision I've taken lightly, it's something I've had to think about for a long time.

High

"But with everything that's going on at Rangers, and winning the double last season, I think now's the time.

"I could've stayed but is it really going to get any better? That's what I've been asking myself.

"Back to back titles is a tremendous achievment for everyone at the club and I was part of that.

"I just like the idea of leaving on a high.

"I'm one of the few players who has scored over 100 goals for Rangers and that's special for me.

Boyd banner

Kris off ... Gers' fans have stuck behind him

Keith Campbell

"I'll always be a Rangers fan and that'll never change.

"But they say all good things must come to an end and that's the way I'm looking at things.

"I hope the Rangers supporters understand. I couldn't have achieved half of what I did at the club without their support. They were magnificent.

"I know I divided opinion at times outwith the club but they stood by me through thick and thin and I'll never forget that.

"But I think I've done everything in Scottish football."

Where now for Boyd? There are offers coming thick and fast.

Turkish outfit want him and boss Shota Arvedaldze is willing to back up his determination with a deal worth £50,000 a week.

Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Birmingham are also in the hunt.

But wherever Boyd ends up he reckons he'll be taking a step DOWN. He added: "Leaving a club like Rangers is a huge step.

"The fact is I'll NOT be joining a club as big as the one I've been with for the last few years.

Advertisement

"Rangers is massive worldwide. In my mind it's on a level with the likes of Manchester United, Real Madrid and Barcelona in terms of its stature.

"That's the bracket Rangers and Celtic are in as clubs. The chances of me going to join one of those other massive clubs are slim to none so it's about a fresh challenge. But I'll be joining a smaller club.

"I just believe it's time to start a new chapter of my career. I'm ready for a fresh challenge."

Boyd's critics will say he's money-motivated. That he's only interested in the colour of the cash being offered to him.

But speaking from his sunshine break in Cyrpus last night, he insisted: "I know there will be people who say I'm only leaving for money. If that was true I'd already be in Turkey.

"Don't get me wrong, it's an option, one of the possibilities open to me. I'm not ruling it out. But if my head was ruled purely by money I'd have jumped at that immediately. I could also have joined Birmingham 18 months ago.

"I need to take my time before deciding what's next. This is an important move for me.

"It needs to be somewhere I enjoy my football, that's crucial.

"Wherever I go, the money will be there, but it's not about that. It really isn't. I always believe if you're doing well you'll get it anyway.

Despair

"The most important thing is you enjoy playing so I'll think long and hard before making my decision."

Boyd's Rangers career has been one winding rollercoaster.

From the goals and the glory to the depths of despair at being left out of key games - and then shoved towards the exit door.

The club did everything they could to cash in on the hitman 18 months ago after accepting a £3million bid from Birmingham.

Boyd added: "It's a funny old business when you look at the structure of Rangers just now.

"Things look like stabilising now. But back at that time things were bubbling under beneath the surface and maybe they knew what was coming.

"The club was on the verge of exploding and tried to sell me. But I'll be honest and at that time it wasn't right for me."

Boyd is certain to leave Rangers within weeks but could he one day return?

He added: "If I was to come back one day then that would be great.

"I'm leaving on good terms and have a great relationship with Sir David Murray and the gaffer. You never know what can happen in football."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2994291/Kris-Boyd-If-I-signed-for-Celtic-Id-be-in-a-WOODEN-box-not-penalty-box.html

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wherever I go, the money will be there, but it's not about that. It really isn't. The most important thing is you enjoy playing."

What could be more enjoyable than playing for the team you grew up supporting and becoming a legend.

He's full of shit. I never wanted him to leave but after the way hes took us all for a ride I couldnt care less.

I thought he'd stay if Walter did doh doh

Weir hasnt signed on either and weve known Walter is staying for a while now... and he said the same thing in regards to Walters decision playing a part in him staying

Anyway, thanks for the goals Boyd.

Bye Boyd turned his back on his country, now turning his back on his boyhood team, for more money and... he calls himself 1 of us

I would be angry at Boyd if he turned his back on us in the middle of the season when he had the chance to grab the money with a move to Birmingham but his contract is up and he has the right to exercise a move to another club where the chances of him getting more money are higher because there is no transfer fee... whats hard to accept about that <cr>

Stop adding new topics from the sun, check before you post, theres already a topic on this.

Yes, silly man.

I think he's putting you're two noses out of place :sherlock:

Bye Boyd turned his back on his country, now turning his back on his boyhood team, for more money and... he calls himself 1 of us

I would be angry at Boyd if he turned his back on us in the middle of the season when he had the chance to grab the money with a move to Birmingham but his contract is up and he has the right to exercise a move to another club where the chances of him getting more money are higher because there is no transfer fee... whats hard to accept about that <cr>

More mont shouldn't be whats driving him on, being a ranger number 9 should be enough... He could of went on to be a rangers legand not just an average rangers forward,

Stop adding new topics from the sun, check before you post, theres already a topic on this.

I did check and topic was called something else.

Yeah but clicking on it, helps.

Also, on this occasion, people felt the 1 big thread was apt.

The thread title was pretty clear, unlike many of your threads.

and your threads are clear?

Bye bye Kris. All the best and all that shite. Let's see how you get on rotting in the reserves of whatever club you go to.

Rangers will get better and still be winning things. You wont

Boab bitching again about copying and pasting.

and your threads are clear?

Always crystal (tu)

Quiet, you're not even much bigger than me :P

boab does same thing as me. So I do not know why he is bitching for.

Quiet, you're not even much bigger than me :P

You'll still get a kick in the haw maws :wink: anyway good luck kris but you're making a big mistake

boab does same thing as me. So I do not know why he is bitching for.

Oh aye, I post news but I don't just come on for that (tu)

Anyway, I'll be following Boyd closely and think he'll go to Newcastle.