Gordon Strachan signings key to Walter Smith’s bid for ex-Don Lee Miller

Ace

Rangers’ bid to land Middlesbrough’s Lee Miller could depend on how successful Gordon Strachan’s summer signing spree is.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith is an admirer of the Scotland internationalist and tried to land him when he was at Aberdeen.

With Kris Boyd quitting the club this summer, Smith is desperate to bring in two new attacking options to help fill the void.

But Miller, who has struggled to shine at Boro since moving in January, could be allowed to quit the club in a cut-price deal should Strachan land some of the players he has targeted this summer. And the player admits he could find the opportunity to join his boyhood heroes too tempting should the two clubs come to an agreement over a possible transfer fee.

He said: “If Rangers ask the question I would be forced to make the toughest decision of my career. It is flattering to be linked with a club as big as Rangers.”

Meanwhile, Rangers are still waiting to hear back from Liverpool after rejecting the Anfield club’s first offer for the 18-year-old defender. Smith said: “We are currently waiting to hear back from Liverpool after we rejected their original £2million offer.”

Wilson has refused the club’s attempts to extend his contract, which has one year remaining, and Rangers would receive compensation of just several hundred thousand pounds should he leave next summer.

Rangers expect the centre-back, who made 25 first-team appearances last season, to move on.

But they are holding out for more money and will point to other transfer deals for young players in the Barclays Premier League such as Arsenal’s £5million purchase of then 17-year-old Aaron Ramsey from Cardiff in 2008.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/gordon-strachan-signings-key-to-walter-smith-s-bid-for-ex-don-lee-miller-1.1031686

what is miller talking about, the hardest decision he has ever had to make ? what is there to think about. a medium size club full of tims playing in the championship or a massive club playing for medals and trophies full of prods playing in the champions league ? if he needs to think about it he can fuck right off. see ya lee

Miller as a replacement for Boyd ?, yer having a giraffe.

If we end up signing folk like Miller, we truly are stuffed next season, and Walter might as well no have bothered coming back.

I don't believe we'll be buying players like Miller.

what is miller talking about, the hardest decision he has ever had to make ? what is there to think about. a medium size club full of tims playing in the championship or a massive club playing for medals and trophies full of prods playing in the champions league ? if he needs to think about it he can fuck right off. see ya lee

He can't exactly say fuck you Boro I want to go to Rangers and then Rangers don't bid...eh only kiddin guys!

Any team in the championship can make it to the prem look at Blackpool so it's not as simple from his view.

If I was Lee Miller though I would get the first plane up and be grateful The Rangers have came calling

I know a lot of people will pull out the old 'tabloid pish' line, understandably so, but this has all the hallmarks of a Smith signing.

And I bet he gets a rise out of Miller if it happens.

I know a lot of people will pull out the old 'tabloid pish' line, understandably so, but this has all the hallmarks of a Smith signing.

(tu)

I have 100% faith in Smith's ability to make him fulfill his potential. However while I'd welcome him as the target man option from the bench that we lack, I don't think he could replace Boyd.

I'm still baffled that this one seems to have legs, because as I said the other day why on earth did we wait until now before we signed him? We could have had him for free three years ago when he was coming off the back of the best season of his life. Insted we went out and spunked 3.5 million on Lafferty.

I don't think i've ever seen Lee Miller lose a header anytime i've seen him play.

He would do well in the SPL imo but not the kind of player we should be looking at if we are trying to progress in europe.

(tu)

I have 100% faith in Smith's ability to make him fulfill his potential. However while I'd welcome him as the target man option from the bench that we lack, I don't think he could replace Boyd.

I'm still baffled that this one seems to have legs, because as I said the other day why on earth did we wait until now before we signed him? We could have had him for free three years ago when he was coming off the back of the best season of his life. Insted we went out and spunked 3.5 million on Lafferty.

You say that you have faith in Smith getting the best out of Lee Miller and then go on to mention Lafferty.

(tu)

You say that you have faith in Smith getting the best out of Lee Miller and then go on to mention Lafferty.

I think both Lafferty and Miller struggle to keep their head in the game, however, I think that Lee Miller is a far better football player than Lafferty is.

I also think that Smith has become a better manager over the past two years.

Throw both those elements together and I think Smith could help Miller realise his potential.

Miller as a replacement for Boyd ?, yer having a giraffe.

If we end up signing folk like Miller, we truly are stuffed next season, and Walter might as well no have bothered coming back.

I don't believe we'll be buying players like Miller.

this remind anyone of walter signing king kenny

(tu)

I think both Lafferty and Miller struggle to keep their head in the game, however, I think that Lee Miller is a far better football player than Lafferty is.

I also think that Smith has become a better manager over the past two years.

Throw both those elements together and I think Smith could help Miller realise his potential.

Fair do's.

All that I see are two players of limited ability, both of whom couldn't cut it in the Championship. Also, neither player has ever been a prolific scorer.

I would love for us to get rid of McCulloch, but even he could do the job of either of these players.

I know a lot of people will pull out the old 'tabloid pish' line, understandably so, but this has all the hallmarks of a Smith signing

I would be happy with him and I agree he will get much better! He's still a average age and has plenty of time to get better. People need to start backing smiths signings and not go against them before they have kicked a ball.