Azzurri name their 23 man squad!

Italy squad:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari),

Defenders: Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan)

Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)

Forwards: Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli)

I'd go with;

Buffon

Maggio Cannavaro Chiellini Criscito

De Rossi Gattuso

Di Natale Pirlo Quagliarella

Gilardino

Lippi's such a twat. Was looking forward to seeing Rossi on the big stage.

Awful squad really :(

I would actually disagree that it's an awful squad. Iaquinta is probably the only one I would change.

Have fun watching at home Giuseppe Rossi!

Would have been a guaranteed start for USA :(

Subotic at the back and Altidore, Rossi, and Ibisevic up front, oh well :(

TBF at the time the US weren't showing the potential they do now, and no doubt agents would have had a big say on where they ended up representing. Adu will be sitting at home wondering the same thing with Ghana at the WC.

The tide is turning though, 5 years down the line. Players with the same duel nationalities will chose USA now.