Stephen Thompson "blasts" Rangers again

RANGERS chief executive Martin Bain insists he will not stoop to Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson’s level by being dragged into another public war of words.

The duo became involved in a verbal spat last term when United refused to allow Light Blues fans free entry to a rearranged SPL game at Tannadice that had originally been abandoned because of bad weather.

And they are on a collision course again after Thompson claimed Rangers were disliked by their SPL rivals.

The Arabs supremo has accused the Ibrox side of trying to poach the best young talent from clubs across the country rather than rearing their own stars.

And he claims the attitude of Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston and his fellow board members has made the Glasgow club hugely unpopular throughout the game.

When contacted, Bain said: “I have no comment to make as I would not lower myself to that level.” Thompson insists that Rangers are trying to buy an entire squad of youth stars by dangling hard cash in front of smaller clubs and their young players. Bain, however, refused to respond to the accusation, although Rangers insiders claim Thompson is wrong.

Thompson said: “Rangers have no money in the first team, but at youth level they have a lot of money to spend. They are putting in offers for 16 to 18 kids under 16 and the compensation levels are £40,000-50,000 a go. That’s the route that they have decided to go down, so they are trying to pick up a crop of everyone else’s development programmes.

“And they wonder why other teams in Scotland don’t like them – and I’m talking at chairman and board level.” Bain and Thompson first went head-to-head in December and it’s unlikely that this is the last we will have heard about this particular issue.

Back then, United opted to charge Rangers fans half-price for entry to a rescheduled league match after the original game had been abandoned at half-time due to torrential rain.

Bain told the Ibrox AGM that United’s stance had made him “disgusted and angry”. Thompson replied: “I think that Martin Bain’s behaviour has been disgraceful.”

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/178620/Tangerines-blast-Rangers/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Arabs supremo has accused the Ibrox side of trying to poach the best young talent from clubs across the country rather than rearing their own stars'

Murray Park doesn't exist then

and its always been the same in the football food chain....big clubs take from smaller clubs

he's becoming a right motormouth, even more since they won the cup....

Strange, Arsnal do the same thing on a global basis - paying £M's for teenagers for their youth 'development' an no noise!

In many ways glad to hear this! Great tactic and Thomson is only pissed cause we have more financial clout - we are still a big fish in this little pond!

shame the man has no class like his Father , Steven is a right Wanker , full of himself , he has been going round the pubs in B.Ferry with a holdall carrying the cup about and posing for pictures thn complaining about the number of people wanting their picture taken with it , complete fanny .

You would like us even less of we boycotted away games against u and left them financially in the shit

One season of doing this would have him licking our boots; on a wider context I would love this to happen at all away grounds and force a change back to the days that the tail of the spl did not wag the dog.

He also seems to have forgotten that we paid half of Websters wages for him to play for them.

This is just pure hate and bile coming from this gypsy's mouth. Do not all big clubs do the same ? So why round on Rangers alone? Got to laugh at this mhob right enough for years dundee hibs trapped young players into long contracts and paid them thirty bob a week ! :sherlock:

He should take a at how his dad was , he was a class act ! At times he could be as awkward but he done it with dignity , this cunt is just a little scrotum looking for publicity

utd seems to have made a lot of noise at the moment because they won the scottish cup, i also seem to recall they spouted some pish that utd where going to get second place and split the old firm (ugh hate that word), heard it all before.

Which talent is he talking about? because i don't recall us stealing anybody from the other scottish clubs, also didn't we loan them a player who quite frankly turned there season around? dry yer eyes m8