Who in their right mind would buy Rangers?

Frankie

An excellent article for your attention written by Calscot on Gersnet...

--

After all the excitement of the rumours of a sale last week, all has gone quiet on the ownership front. Are we in the final days of a deal being completed or has the potential buyer(s)finally been seen off by the men in white coats? After all, surely no-one in their right mind would buy Rangers?

In actual fact, I can see several attractions for any businessman buying Rangers at the moment. The club are a veritable bargain right now, with debt free ownership handed over for a reputed, paltry £33M. What other large, successful clubs in Europe could be snapped up for such a low fee? In fact, that’s why I think if fans want ownership, they should certainly go for it now.

Not only will Rangers likely never be cheaper to buy, once some investment is put in and the shackles of debt gone and if the club get on a good financial footing and continue to be successful domestically, then stock is set to rise, giving any owners a handsome profit.

A debt-free, financially stable and successful Rangers must be worth at least £50-60M. The main caveat (or even caveat emptor) is the European marginalisation of Scottish football due to TV money and the external investment which that former finance attracts. The resulting future difficulty of qualifying for the Champions League is a blow to the finances of the club and will be reflected in its future value.

So what else does a prospective owner gain from ownership of Rangers? I think there is a massive two fold attraction in owning our club for a very rich and egotistical man. There is a current fashion for multimillionaires or billionaires to own a football club as a plaything, a hobby, a business far more glamorous and less dull than the dry, day to day grind of the game of making money in most companies.

Some on the rich list collect art, or sponsor plays, or get into movie producing; some buy sports clubs be it football, basketball or baseball etc.

As recently said on the forums, with a big club that wins trophies most seasons and perpetually qualifies for Europe, “there is fun to be had” at Rangers - possibly a lot more fun than buying a middling EPL club and for a lot less money. It could be the multimillionaire’s choice rather than the billionaire’s: the guy who buys a Ferrari but can’t or won’t stretch to a Bugatti.

Buying a Premiership club brings glamour and lets you rub shoulders with the big boys’ club, but where’s the fun when every other season you’re constantly looking over your shoulder at the relegation zone and on a good season finish about 8th having endured a few drubbings from the big four?

At Rangers you get a 5 star, 51,000 seater stadium almost full every fortnight with passionate fans – that’s a great start to get the pulse going. You get a 137 year old club with an amazing history demonstrated by a trophy room few clubs can compete with. You get a piece of the Scottish establishment, a club whose importance regularly gets it on the front pages of the newspapers while dominating the back pages. This is in a country where newspapers are most often read backwards! And remember, Glasgow is still in the UK, not some developing country like Turkey or Romania, or for English speaking businessmen, a poorer EC country with a difficult language rarely used elsewhere like Portugal, Greece or Czech Republic.

You can even base yourself in London and not have to remember to take your passport to watch a game – or even worry about TV coverage as long as you have a Sky satellite dish.

But all that leads to the biggest prize of all for a rich man with a huge ego to stroke – the fame and celebrity. The likes of Ellis are known in certain circles but how many in Scotland had heard of him? As owner of Rangers he would be catapulted into the public eye – at least for 5M people. His name would be known to everyone – in fact he’s pretty well known right now for just window shopping. His view would be sought by journalists and commentators every week and his prestige while doing business would be fantastically enhanced.

He would no longer be Ellis the property developer; he would be the celebrity owner of the most successful football club in Scotland. People would be queuing to shake his hand and associate themselves with him. Business meetings can be done with the prelude of corporate hospitality at a game, after sitting next to the chairman in the director’s box, with the meeting itself conducted in the salubrious Blue Room.

It would not only be good for his business, but imagine the stroking of his ego. Imagine any self important, narcissism being constantly massaged. Instead of being a rich businessman that few know, he suddenly becomes a “somebody” who even gets “papped” on occasion while going for meals at classy places where tables are always available for him, and where everyone looks round, points and whispers when he walks in.

Unfortunately it’s only an attraction for an egotistical extrovert – which is why you won’t see a Joe Lewis or Tom Hunter taking it up. I think that’s what attracted SDM and I think it will be the most likely attraction for a new owner.

Now if Ellis fits the bill for all of the above then the piece de resistance for this deal in particular - for a property developer of all people, is a vast area of incredibly cheap, prime real estate on the banks of the Clyde, just down from the city centre, with an iconic stadium at its heart which is ripe for huge development and has implicit planning permission for some impressive urban regeneration.

When you put all the pieces together, I think it’s very hard to see why a football loving guy like Ellis wouldn’t be very interested in the mighty Rangers FC.

An excellent article for your attention written by Calscot on Gersnet...

--

After all the excitement of the rumours of a sale last week, all has gone quiet on the ownership front. Are we in the final days of a deal being completed or has the potential buyer(s)finally been seen off by the men in white coats? After all, surely no-one in their right mind would buy Rangers?

In actual fact, I can see several attractions for any businessman buying Rangers at the moment. The club are a veritable bargain right now, with debt free ownership handed over for a reputed, paltry £33M. What other large, successful clubs in Europe could be snapped up for such a low fee? In fact, that’s why I think if fans want ownership, they should certainly go for it now.

Not only will Rangers likely never be cheaper to buy, once some investment is put in and the shackles of debt gone and if the club get on a good financial footing and continue to be successful domestically, then stock is set to rise, giving any owners a handsome profit.

A debt-free, financially stable and successful Rangers must be worth at least £50-60M. The main caveat (or even caveat emptor) is the European marginalisation of Scottish football due to TV money and the external investment which that former finance attracts. The resulting future difficulty of qualifying for the Champions League is a blow to the finances of the club and will be reflected in its future value.

So what else does a prospective owner gain from ownership of Rangers? I think there is a massive two fold attraction in owning our club for a very rich and egotistical man. There is a current fashion for multimillionaires or billionaires to own a football club as a plaything, a hobby, a business far more glamorous and less dull than the dry, day to day grind of the game of making money in most companies.

Some on the rich list collect art, or sponsor plays, or get into movie producing; some buy sports clubs be it football, basketball or baseball etc.

As recently said on the forums, with a big club that wins trophies most seasons and perpetually qualifies for Europe, “there is fun to be had” at Rangers - possibly a lot more fun than buying a middling EPL club and for a lot less money. It could be the multimillionaire’s choice rather than the billionaire’s: the guy who buys a Ferrari but can’t or won’t stretch to a Bugatti.

Buying a Premiership club brings glamour and lets you rub shoulders with the big boys’ club, but where’s the fun when every other season you’re constantly looking over your shoulder at the relegation zone and on a good season finish about 8th having endured a few drubbings from the big four?

At Rangers you get a 5 star, 51,000 seater stadium almost full every fortnight with passionate fans – that’s a great start to get the pulse going. You get a 137 year old club with an amazing history demonstrated by a trophy room few clubs can compete with. You get a piece of the Scottish establishment, a club whose importance regularly gets it on the front pages of the newspapers while dominating the back pages. This is in a country where newspapers are most often read backwards! And remember, Glasgow is still in the UK, not some developing country like Turkey or Romania, or for English speaking businessmen, a poorer EC country with a difficult language rarely used elsewhere like Portugal, Greece or Czech Republic.

You can even base yourself in London and not have to remember to take your passport to watch a game – or even worry about TV coverage as long as you have a Sky satellite dish.

But all that leads to the biggest prize of all for a rich man with a huge ego to stroke – the fame and celebrity. The likes of Ellis are known in certain circles but how many in Scotland had heard of him? As owner of Rangers he would be catapulted into the public eye – at least for 5M people. His name would be known to everyone – in fact he’s pretty well known right now for just window shopping. His view would be sought by journalists and commentators every week and his prestige while doing business would be fantastically enhanced.

He would no longer be Ellis the property developer; he would be the celebrity owner of the most successful football club in Scotland. People would be queuing to shake his hand and associate themselves with him. Business meetings can be done with the prelude of corporate hospitality at a game, after sitting next to the chairman in the director’s box, with the meeting itself conducted in the salubrious Blue Room.

It would not only be good for his business, but imagine the stroking of his ego. Imagine any self important, narcissism being constantly massaged. Instead of being a rich businessman that few know, he suddenly becomes a “somebody” who even gets “papped” on occasion while going for meals at classy places where tables are always available for him, and where everyone looks round, points and whispers when he walks in.

Unfortunately it’s only an attraction for an egotistical extrovert – which is why you won’t see a Joe Lewis or Tom Hunter taking it up. I think that’s what attracted SDM and I think it will be the most likely attraction for a new owner.

Now if Ellis fits the bill for all of the above then the piece de resistance for this deal in particular - for a property developer of all people, is a vast area of incredibly cheap, prime real estate on the banks of the Clyde, just down from the city centre, with an iconic stadium at its heart which is ripe for huge development and has implicit planning permission for some impressive urban regeneration.

When you put all the pieces together, I think it’s very hard to see why a football loving guy like Ellis wouldn’t be very interested in the mighty Rangers FC.

Very well written post and exactly what i and probably many others have thought (tu)

That article should be given as a presentation to every rich businessman in the country. Fantastic advertisement for buying the club and many of the things he touches on, such as the urban regeneration prospects in the area are things i've never really thought about when considering why someone would want to buy Rangers.

Fantastic article, credit to Calscot for that.

i for one would NOT wont fan ownership , for a start in this forum alone we all disagree on something imagine the problems arising there , jeezo .

Great read though which does raise some interesting points (tu)

Agree OC, i dont think many want a fan ownership apart from the RST :ph34r:

The fans don't want ownership of the club. As for Ellis, we are now into yet another month with on fresh news.

Some fans do but there certainly seems a lack of appetite or wherewithal to change that amongst people to facilitate such a move.

I personally think the information vacuum in the ownership issue says more than any media coverage could. I feel were getting to the end-game.

:)

Any businessman with the nous, the cash and the desire will have looked at all the possibilities that would come with ownership. It's not as if Murray won't have contacts worldwide.

To be clear, I don't think Cal was writing the article to try and persuade dithering candidates... ;)

There's no doubt SDM and more specifically Alistair Johnston will have been round the doors already over the last few years and I'm unsure our ongoing financial challenges will have whetted many appetites.

Nonetheless as Cal says, it isn't all bad and there are more than enough positives and possibilities for interested parties to explore.

We can only hope someone with the finance and knowledge agrees. :)

Any businessman with the nous, the cash and the desire will have looked at all the possibilities that would come with ownership. It's not as if Murray won't have contacts worldwide.

To be clear, I don't think Cal was writing the article to try and persuade dithering candidates... ;)

There's no doubt SDM and more specifically Alistair Johnston will have been round the doors already over the last few years and I'm unsure our ongoing financial challenges will have whetted many appetites.

Nonetheless as Cal says, it isn't all bad and there are more than enough positives and possibilities for interested parties to explore.

We can only hope someone with the finance and knowledge agrees. :)

Sorry Frankie, I actually meant to quote BITC in my reply. I agree that there are many positives for any prospective buyer, but the lack of serious interest would suggest that there are a greater amount of drawbacks at this time. If it was me, the probability of a serious drop in future income would be worrying.

If not outright fan ownership, then fan participation at board level must be our goal. This can only be achieved by us the supporters putting in our financial muscle where our mouths are, in a fund which is directly used for the benefit of our club. Run and organised by an board of trustees made up of our peers.

The Man From Area 51 (remember - the man who first brought this Ellis story to the world) said back in March what a great deal this would be for anyone. He was tempted to empty his rather large bank account and dive in - another contributor to this saga suggested robbing the fucking bank (his bank account isn't anywhere near that of TMFA51's).

My point is - most know that a debt-free Rangers Football Club with a guaranteed 40,000 (plus) ST's and a regular 50,000 (plus) at Ibrox every fortnight and a fan-base worldwide that is second-to-none (see Manchester - see UEFA Cup Final - see 250,000 Rangers fans - see NARSA - see Oz - see Dubai - see Hong Kong....etc, etc) is a fantastic opportunity. To own a club such as Rangers with its proud traditions and heritage for a mere £33m (give or take) is, in the grand scheme of things, a paltry sum - indeed, factor in inflation and I'll bet it's not far away from the £6m Murray paid 21-years ago.

So why is it taking so long?

Could it be because the Edinburgh charlatan has asset stripped the whole fucking kit and caboodle and we're now a shell of a club with inextricable links to Murray's other web of intrigue and file shuffling off-shore bullshit?

A straight, no-questions-asked £33m and I'd rip your hand off.

It appears what is on offer is far short of clear cut and maybe why we're still in Murray's grubby little hands.

The Man From Area 51 (remember - the man who first brought this Ellis story to the world) said back in March what a great deal this would be for anyone. He was tempted to empty his rather large bank account and dive in - another contributor to this saga suggested robbing the fucking bank (his bank account isn't anywhere near that of TMFA51's).

My point is - most know that a debt-free Rangers Football Club with a guaranteed 40,000 (plus) ST's and a regular 50,000 (plus) at Ibrox every fortnight and a fan-base worldwide that is second-to-none (see Manchester - see UEFA Cup Final - see 250,000 Rangers fans - see NARSA - see Oz - see Dubai - see Hong Kong....etc, etc) is a fantastic opportunity. To own a club such as Rangers with its proud traditions and heritage for a mere £33m (give or take) is, in the grand scheme of things, a paltry sum - indeed, factor in inflation and I'll bet it's not far away from the £6m Murray paid 21-years ago.

Could it be because the Edinburgh charlatan has asset stripped the whole fucking kit and caboodle and we're now a shell of a club with inextricable links to Murray's other web of intrigue and file shuffling off-shore bullshit?

It appears what is on offer is far short of clear cut and maybe why we're still in Murray's grubby little hands.

That question has been my #1 source of trepidation and wonderment ever since we were put on the market by the Mint.

Here we have a fuckin institution that is known world wide with an owner who has business contacts all over the world in different industries....We have a current chairman who is Vice-chairman of IMG, one of the biggest publicty machines on the planet with contacts and clients from every sporting category imaginable, and yet the only people who have came forward are fucking charlatans IMO, who haven't got either the money to buy us, or who haven't got the best interest of the club at heart.

If anybody can make any sense of this whatsoever, please feel free to try and explain it before I go in the casket, thank you.doh

Great points and I'd agree with all them.

I'm also unsure of the "celebrity" part. Probably true, but I don't want another ego trip at Rangers. Murray was enough for me.