Ibrox Disaster, 2nd January 1971, 40th Anniversary

Adoniram

Vanguard Bears have been in discussions all morning with a Rangers fan who approached us with a touching idea.

Rather than start a thread, Admin have been in contact with the gentleman all morning, and outlining our proposals. We are still at the early stages, but would make this announcement in the knowledge that the idea is now being floated around other sites.

In conjunction with a dedicated fan who approached us and who, for the moment wishes to remain anonymous, we are now in contact with the Club to honour and remember those fans who lost their lives on that terrible January day.

We are in talks with Glasgow Cathedral about a suitable date in the New Year, when a Memorial Service will be held. The families of those who lost their lives are being contacted to seek their approval.

We are giving early intimation of our intentions, in order that the idea may be floated among the membership of all Rangers forums and Supporters Clubs. An invitation to all will be extended so that every Rangers fan can play their part in this tribute.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely idea and I'd love it for this to go ahead at either Glasgow Cathedral or better still Ibrox. I'm guessing Jim Hannah may be the man to contact, I'm reliably informed he is one of the good guys at the club. I look forward to hearing about developments on this.

Lovely idea and I'd love it for this to go ahead at either Glasgow Cathedral or better still Ibrox. I'm guessing Jim Hannah may be the man to contact, I'm reliably informed he is one of the good guys at the club. I look forward to hearing about developments on this.

I would agree on both counts there mate & let's hope that this date in our club's history is marked in a fitting and appropriate manner

Great idea,as someone who was involved at close quarters when the barrier broke I feel it would be fitting if a

memorial service was held in Glasgow Cathedral.I also feel that it is a disgrace that any remembrance ceremonies in

the past have had to be organised by the Rangers with no involvment from Glasgow Council.Surely at the very least

some sort of remembrance memorial should be erected by the people of Glasgow in memory of those who died,I think our

council should have a look at Liverpool Council on how to remember the victims of this type of tragedy.

It is an idea that would be welcomed by every supporter.I got a dreadful shock when I opened the newspaper here in Australia and heard the terrible news. more so when I read the list of the casualties and saw the name of a young lad who I had known all my life.:(