Ibrox Disaster, 2nd January 1971, 40th Anniversary

Adoniram

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only 6 years old then but I still remember my anguished mother and her relief when my father called from The Victoria Infirmary where he'd gone with my injured uncle. They were just two of the lucky ones.

I put some flowers down at the stairs next to the Megastore at the first home game of every year, but 2011 everyone should remember our fellow fans who saw their last game that awful day.

• 2 weeks later...

We can only hope that Rangers do something - it would be a massive own goal for them not to do something major !!

I know they were only planning a service for the 50th anniversary but the 40th is just as important a milestone anniversary.

I dont think there will be a service at the cathedral due to the wishes of Dr Whitely wanting the high clergy of the catholic church involved with the service.

A memorial Service what a wonderful thing to do to remember all those faithful fans that were so tragically taken from their families on the 2nd January 1971. But to have this at Inbox l don’t think this is a good idea. They had it there before and to be honest it turned out not to about the people who died but about John Gregg and his statue. It was about Rangers and not the people who died. For this memorial service to mean what it’s meant to mean it has to be done properly somewhere away from Inbox. The Rangers Club and the fans can do something to remember that terrible day but on the 2nd January 2011 it’s about the 66 people who so tragically died no one else. One fan wrote on this page that it might be held at the Glasgow Cathedral but due to the wishes of Dr Whitely wanting the high clergy of the catholic church involved with the service it might not be held there, surely it’s not about religion but about remembering and everyone regardless of age, gender or religion coming together to remember and if we can’t come together as one then there is no point in any Memorial Service because then it’s not about the people who died but something else.

My mum said no one should ever be allowed to forget the Inbox Disaster and that everyone should come together to remember and celebrate their lives.

A memorial Service what a wonderful thing to do to remember all those faithful fans that were so tragically taken from their families on the 2nd January 1971. But to have this at Inbox l don’t think this is a good idea. They had it there before and to be honest it turned out not to about the people who died but about John Gregg and his statue. It was about Rangers and not the people who died. For this memorial service to mean what it’s meant to mean it has to be done properly somewhere away from Inbox. The Rangers Club and the fans can do something to remember that terrible day but on the 2nd January 2011 it’s about the 66 people who so tragically died no one else. One fan wrote on this page that it might be held at the Glasgow Cathedral but due to the wishes of Dr Whitely wanting the high clergy of the catholic church involved with the service it might not be held there, surely it’s not about religion but about remembering and everyone regardless of age, gender or religion coming together to remember and if we can’t come together as one then there is no point in any Memorial Service because then it’s not about the people who died but something else.

My mum said no one should ever be allowed to forget the Inbox Disaster and that everyone should come together to remember and celebrate their lives.

Just a wee point,why do you keep saying Inbox rather than Ibrox?Three times you've said it.

A memorial Service what a wonderful thing to do to remember all those faithful fans that were so tragically taken from their families on the 2nd January 1971. But to have this at Ibrox l don’t think this is a good idea. They had it there before and to be honest it turned out not to about the people who died but about John Gregg and his statue. It was about Rangers and not the people who died. For this memorial service to mean what it’s meant to mean it has to be done properly somewhere away from Ibrox. The Rangers Club and the fans can do something to remember that terrible day but on the 2nd January 2011 it’s about the 66 people who so tragically died no one else. One fan wrote on this page that it might be held at the Glasgow Cathedral but due to the wishes of Dr Whitely wanting the high clergy of the catholic church involved with the service it might not be held there, surely it’s not about religion but about remembering and everyone regardless of age, gender or religion coming together to remember and if we can’t come together as one then there is no point in any Memorial Service because then it’s not about the people who died but something else.

My mum said no one should ever be allowed to forget the Ibrox Disaster and that everyone should come together to remember and celebrate their lives.

Just a wee point,why do you keep saying Ibrox rather than Ibrox?Three times you've said it.

We can only hope that Rangers do something - it would be a massive own goal for them not to do something major !!

I know they were only planning a service for the 50th anniversary but the 40th is just as important a milestone anniversary.

I dont think there will be a service at the cathedral due to the wishes of Dr Whitely wanting the high clergy of the catholic church involved with the service.

What is his reason for that?

What is his reason for that?

For it being an old firm game the disaster happened at but it was an idea seen as a supporters service for those supporters who never came home - not for the leader of a faith in Scotland who has publically attacked the Rangers support time and again!! The other faith leaders in Glasgow would then have to be asked and there was already internet messages on other boards from people who wished to attend and boycott the service by way of banners about a former manager of theirs.

That plus the possible media intrusion which the families saw enough of in 1971 saw me withdraw from my involvement on the issue. Any decent person regardless of creed,colour or background would have been welcome at the cathedral service Im sure.

It is something anyone can take forward though - I just couldnt take it further myself. Im sure the fans have a right to remember those 66 souls and show our respects to the surviving families in a proper manner/service of remembrance as the 40th anniversary passes.

l am really sorry but the comment you have left can you explain what you mean l really don’t understand what it is you are trying to say. Are their some Rangers Fans who want to boycott the memorial service how disrespectful would that be to the memory of those who died including my Aunty Margaret? Surely it would not matter who is conducting the service that day there is only ONE GOD and everything that is said should be the same in every respect. Also can you please tell me which other boards these people are posting messages up like this as l would go on and tell them that if that's their attitude they can stay away from the memorial service as there is no room for them on that day only people who want to show respect? As l have said before and l will continue saying this memorial service is about the 66 people who so tragically died on the 2nd January 1971 and nothing else not ever a former manager.

l am really sorry but the comment you have left can you explain what you mean l really don’t understand what it is you are trying to say. Are their some Rangers Fans who want to boycott the memorial service how disrespectful would that be to the memory of those who died including my Aunty Margaret? Surely it would not matter who is conducting the service that day there is only ONE GOD and everything that is said should be the same in every respect. Also can you please tell me which other boards these people are posting messages up like this as l would go on and tell them that if that's their attitude they can stay away from the memorial service as there is no room for them on that day only people who want to show respect? As l have said before and l will continue saying this memorial service is about the 66 people who so tragically died on the 2nd January 1971 and nothing else not ever a former manager.

I meant the Celtic fans !! No Rangers fan would ever desecrate the memory of the 66 fans who died.

They had messages on their internet forums wanting to turn up boycotting the service either inside or out with banners about their former manager Jock Stein !!

I didnt want to give them the opportunity of that so withdrew my involvement. Anyone else can take the idea on for a service - I just felt I was better to do some fundraising that would show the families that Rangers fans still care and think of the ones who died not just once a year every 2nd January!!

I meant the Celtic fans !! No Rangers fan would ever desecrate the memory of the 66 fans who died.

They had messages on their internet forums wanting to turn up boycotting the service either inside or out with banners about their former manager Jock Stein !!

I didnt want to give them the opportunity of that so withdrew my involvement. Anyone else can take the idea on for a service - I just felt I was better to do some fundraising that would show the families that Rangers fans still care and think of the ones who died not just once a year every 2nd January!!