Footbal Chants and Sectarianism

I have no problems with Catholics at all; I do have problems with terrorists though. A lot of the bother our club has got into centres around people confusing them both. I can understand the Billy Boys, but why on earth we chant 'F*ck the Pope' is beyond me. What point is it trying to prove? All it does is alienate ourselves from non-Irish Catholics and give Celtic ammo for their 'victimized' argument. To anyone who thinks we should be allowed to chant it because we're just 'proud of our tradition', I ask them: what issue have we ever had with the Catholic church itself? Also, bear in mind that when we were formed, we were watched and supported by all corners of the community, including Irish Catholics; we were not founded as a Protestant club. So in essence, don't get religion confused with politics.

whats wrong with saying "fuck the pope" if your a Protestant to me its a non issue

i hate the catholic church and theyre top man happens to be the pope

if we went and shouted "down with the pope" would that be ok ?

By the Catholic church, do you mean the organisation itself, or everybody who is a Catholic?

Whatever one it is, that's fine, it's your opinion, but I don't really see what it has to do with football.

the organisation i detest and loads of football teams have political leanings including barca , celtic ,athletic bilbao to name 3

Bellowing 'FTP' at a football match is not political - It is empty headed bigotry that has no place in society, never mind a football ground

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, maybe not 48 hours but close enough:

I'm presbyterian mate and my ancestors where Scottish and yes some of them did leave for America but they are not Irish they are Ulster-Scotch or British just like myself.

Sorry my mistake Ulster-Scotch is what they spoke :rolleyes:

No, its still 'Ulster-Scots'... http://www.ulsterscotsagency.com/

Scotch is a drink; http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/

Keep tripping up (tu)

I have no problems with Catholics at all; I do have problems with terrorists though. A lot of the bother our club has got into centres around people confusing them both. I can understand the Billy Boys, but why on earth we chant 'F*ck the Pope' is beyond me. What point is it trying to prove? All it does is alienate ourselves from non-Irish Catholics and give Celtic ammo for their 'victimized' argument. To anyone who thinks we should be allowed to chant it because we're just 'proud of our tradition', I ask them: what issue have we ever had with the Catholic church itself? Also, bear in mind that when we were formed, we were watched and supported by all corners of the community, including Irish Catholics; we were not founded as a Protestant club. So in essence, don't get religion confused with politics.

whats wrong with saying "fuck the pope" if your a Protestant to me its a non issue

By the Catholic church, do you mean the organisation itself, or everybody who is a Catholic?

Whatever one it is, that's fine, it's your opinion, but I don't really see what it has to do with football.

the organisation i detest and loads of football teams have political leanings including barca , celtic ,athletic bilbao to name 3

Bellowing 'FTP' at a football match is not political - It is empty headed bigotry that has no place in society, never mind a football ground

If i counted the many times i seen you writing that today i would probably say that you are a celtic fan.

If i counted the many times i seen you writing that today i would probably say that you are a celtic fan.

You've got some nerve crying anybody a celtic fan considering the fact you don't go to Ibrox :rolleyes:.

I'm presbyterian mate and my ancestors where Scottish and yes some of them did leave for America but they are not Irish they are Ulster-Scotch or British just like myself.

Keep tripping up (tu)

Your wrong in Ulster-Scotch language it is know as Ulster-Scotch not Ulster-Scots so your wrong sorry.

So stop going on as if you know.

You know nothing about Ulster-Scotch

hahahah Partick thistle fans must be amongst the most bigoted in the world ffs. There song has ftp and the queen in it. I want UEFA, SFA and sinn fein to investigate this. I am offended, indeed i wish my ears be cut off as i cant stand listening to such mindless bigotry.

Ahh fuck the old peadophile, nazi helping, gold hiding bastard. how many have gone yet HM lives on.

I have tried to debate reasonably in this thread without resorting to name-calling, unlike yourself

The comment you made there makes absolutely no sense - I am clearly not a Celtic fan, please try to debate in a sensible fashion

Keep tripping up (tu)

Your wrong in Ulster-Scotch language it is know as Ulster-Scotch not Ulster-Scots so your wrong sorry.

So stop going on as if you know you know nothing about Ulster-Scotch

:lol::lol:

You've got some nerve crying anybody a celtic fan considering the fact you don't go to Ibrox :rolleyes:.

I have to admit people who say things like that annoy the fuck out of me.

What ?, the celtic fan comment ?.

Keep tripping up (tu)

This ultimately makes no sense and is very frustrating.

No wonders with people like you in it like what RFC has said yous are worse than the scum.

What <cr>?.

"the fact you don't go to Ibrox"

What are you implying there exactly? Did he say previously in the thread he doesn't goto Ibrox or are you saying his argument is completely invalid because he can't make it to every game?

What are you implying there exactly? Did he say previously in the thread he doesn't goto Ibrox or are you saying his argument is completely invalid because he can't make it to every game?

I told him i only get to a certain amount of games because i'm from Northern Ireland and he always throws this up now all the time.

I told him i only get to a certain amount of games because i'm from Northern Ireland and he always throws this up now all the time.

What was your motivation for saying I'm a Celtic fan then?

Keep tripping up (tu)

This ultimately makes no sense and is very frustrating.

It's in Ulster-Scotch you wouldn't understand. :rolleyes:

My ancestors where Ulster-Scotch as it is known to me and my family not Ulster-Scots.

Because he told me he doesn't go to Ibrox, so for him to call Rangers fan's who go to Ibrox every week a celtic fan, taig or anything along those line's is annoying and just plane stupid.

Don't act like a dick with your "taig" pish or calling Rangers fans with season tickets "celtic fans" and I wont have to bring it up (tu).

What was your motivation for saying I'm a Celtic fan then?

<cr>

Why do you twats always go mad when some one calls you a bheast i always wonder?

Because he told me he doesn't go to Ibrox, so for him to call Rangers fan's who go to Ibrox every week a celtic fan, taig or anything along those line's is annoying and just plane stupid.

And i told you i do goto Ibrox but because i'm from Ulster it restricts me from going every week. :rolleyes:

Your a twisted wee feck.

My ancestors where Ulster-Scotch as it is known to me and my family not Ulster-Scots.

Make up a website, I'm sure it'll be popular then (tu)

<cr>

Why do you twats always go mad when some one calls you a bheast i always wonder?

I'm not going mad - I am asking a reasonable question which you seem to be avoiding

I just dont like it when that gets slung at me when someone is losing an argument - It's pathetic

Please cease with name-calling as well

Make up a website, I'm sure it'll be popular then (tu)

You learn something new everyday don't you.