Footbal Chants and Sectarianism

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From UEFA

Rangers appeal upheld

Print

UEFA's Appeals Body has today partially upheld the appeal made against the Control and Disciplinary Body's decision concerning Scottish club Rangers FC and their UEFA Champions League first knockout round tie against Villarreal CF.

Rangers fined

UEFA appealed against the decision on 12 April by the Control and Disciplinary Body to find Rangers not guilty of alleged discriminatory chants by the club's supporters at both legs of the tie, on 22 February at Ibrox and 7 March at El Madrigal. Rangers have been fined €19,500 and severely warned about their responsibility for any future misconduct by their fans in relation to sectarian and discriminatory behaviour.

Future directives

In addition, the Appeals Body will combine the disciplinary measures with directives safeguarding the correct execution of the judgement. The directives themselves will be communicated to Rangers along with the full written grounds for the disciplinary decision.

My linhttp://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=424237.htmlk

These things get five year probationary periods, so I think it would be very unwise to sing it at European match. You're risking a big fine, stand closure and maybe even a stadium closure.

UEFA have pretty much been off our back since the subsequent one in Osasuna. In European context, I think it would be best to avoid it.

I'm fully aware of the unlevel playing field, but don't shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to Europe. It's just not worth it. How bad will we feel if we're just one(maybe two given the Osasuna fine) away from officially being no longer under scrutiny?

Perhaps it would be wise to contact UEFA directly asking for clarification on what would constitute acceptable lyrics for the song, especially given how many other teams use the tune. Getting that sound back at Ibrox without harming the club, all by changing a couple of words, would actually be a decent victory for us and timmy would hate it. Obviously they'd love to see us fined and heavily penalised in a financial sense, particularly at this time when we really need the cash. Financial damage could be serious and the press would put buyers off.

Domestically, it's not quite the same issue, but that could change. I'd also worry about some of us getting into the old habit with those lyrics in case it's noticed by UEFA in Europe. It's just not worth the damage. Yes, we've been shafted, but shafting ourselves will only please our enemies.

By all means fight back, but be wise about it.

From UEFA

Rangers appeal upheld

Print

UEFA's Appeals Body has today partially upheld the appeal made against the Control and Disciplinary Body's decision concerning Scottish club Rangers FC and their UEFA Champions League first knockout round tie against Villarreal CF.

Rangers fined

UEFA appealed against the decision on 12 April by the Control and Disciplinary Body to find Rangers not guilty of alleged discriminatory chants by the club's supporters at both legs of the tie, on 22 February at Ibrox and 7 March at El Madrigal. Rangers have been fined €19,500 and severely warned about their responsibility for any future misconduct by their fans in relation to sectarian and discriminatory behaviour.

Future directives

In addition, the Appeals Body will combine the disciplinary measures with directives safeguarding the correct execution of the judgement. The directives themselves will be communicated to Rangers along with the full written grounds for the disciplinary decision.

My linhttp://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/disciplinary/news/newsid=424237.htmlk

These things get five year probationary periods, so I think it would be very unwise to sing it at European match. You're risking a big fine, stand closure and maybe even a stadium closure.

UEFA have pretty much been off our back since the subsequent one in Osasuna. In European context, I think it would be best to avoid it.

I'm fully aware of the unlevel playing field, but don't shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to Europe. It's just not worth it. How bad will we feel if we're just one(maybe two given the Osasuna fine) away from officially being no longer under scrutiny?

Perhaps it would be wise to contact UEFA directly asking for clarification on what would constitute acceptable lyrics for the song, especially given how many other teams use the tune. Getting that sound back at Ibrox without harming the club, all by changing a couple of words, would actually be a decent victory for us and timmy would hate it. Obviously they'd love to see us fined and heavily penalised in a financial sense, particularly at this time when we really need the cash. Financial damage could be serious and the press would put buyers off.

Domestically, it's not quite the same issue, but that could change. I'd also worry about some of us getting into the old habit with those lyrics in case it's noticed by UEFA in Europe. It's just not worth the damage. Yes, we've been shafted, but shafting ourselves will only please our enemies.

Well put!, there are enough people trying their best to get us banned/fined/whatever without us giving them anymore ammunition to further their quest. We all know that once again we are getting a raw deal. Other clubs, notably in countries which have a much larger TV audience get away with blatant racism, rioting etc., yes it is double standards but again UEFA are looking after their revenue interests by seemingly punishing clubs from the countries with the smaller audiences rather than treating everyone the same; Ok the UEFA committee have, on occasion, slapped their wrists and given these clubs, (Atletico Madrid in 2009 is one that springs to mind), a token punishment like having to play a game behind closed doors, given our finacial situation at the present even one game behind closed doors would have a detrimental affect on our finances and therefore, ultimately the running of the club.

As Oleg K says " By all means fight back, but be wise about it".

From UEFA

Rangers appeal upheld

Print

Rangers fined

Future directives

Email sent mate, nothing sinister in it. Just wanting to know UEFA's standpoint and also if it is banned by UEFA for Rangers fans, why its still acceptable for almost every other team to be "up to there knees in ******* blood" as this is the line deemed unaccpetable to most10310.gif

From UEFA

Rangers appeal upheld

Print

Rangers fined

Future directives

Well put!, there are enough people trying their best to get us banned/fined/whatever without us giving them anymore ammunition to further their quest. We all know that once again we are getting a raw deal. Other clubs, notably in countries which have a much larger TV audience get away with blatant racism, rioting etc., yes it is double standards but again UEFA are looking after their revenue interests by seemingly punishing clubs from the countries with the smaller audiences rather than treating everyone the same; Ok the UEFA committee have, on occasion, slapped their wrists and given these clubs, (Atletico Madrid in 2009 is one that springs to mind), a token punishment like having to play a game behind closed doors, given our finacial situation at the present even one game behind closed doors would have a detrimental affect on our finances and therefore, ultimately the running of the club.

As Oleg K says " By all means fight back, but be wise about it".

At last, the voices of sanity!!

No sane Rangers fans is advocating singing the Billy Boys at a European Game as the risks are indeed too high as are the stakes.

Singing it at Ibrox is a dangerous one also given the fact the stewards look for any excuse to eject you as do the Police.

Interestingly though no one has been arrested and charged for singing it at Ibrox despite the fact it has been sung by thousands of us at certain games last season.

The same applies to all away games where it has been sung. No one has been arrested for singing this song.

IF and i say a big IF the ONLY alternative was to change the word F*nian and replace it with something more sanitised then i would be in favour of it.However we know only too well that Rangers will not agree to this as they know the original words will creep back in or it will be claimed they did so i cannot see it ever being sung again in Europe.

Domestically is another matter.

You either sing it or you don't....personal choice.

I can just imagine the handwringers at some of the songs that used to get sung at Ibrox many years. The Billy Boys is tame compared to some of the songs and not a word said, and the problem is we sat back and allowed the media and press to brainwash some of our support into thinking that we are all big bad Protestant bigots.

I can just imagine the handwringers at some of the songs that used to get sung at Ibrox many years. The Billy Boys is tame compared to some of the songs and not a word said, and the problem is we sat back and allowed the media and press to brainwash some of our support into thinking that we are all big bad Protestant bigots.

That's it in a nutshell.

"No Pope in Rome" was one of my favourites but sing that now and the handwringers would grass you as they wet their pants hearing it.

Society may have changed (and i would say for the worse) but that doesn't mean we have to accept the Liberal PC shite that is being forced upon us.

I was surprised at Tynecastle towards the end of last season to hear a rendition of 'If you want to go to heaven when you die' :D

That's it in a nutshell.

"No Pope in Rome" was one of my favourites but sing that now and the handwringers would grass you as they wet their pants hearing it.

Society may have changed (and i would say for the worse) but that doesn't mean we have to accept the Liberal PC shite that is being forced upon us.

Well said. 'Freedom of speech and expression' cried the progressive left. Only to add, 'unless it happens to offend anyone, in any way, whatsoever'. :pipe:

Well said. 'Freedom of speech and expression'

one united ireland,there's only one united ireland.............

freedom of speech hey? ;)

Your Algerian, yet you type in English <cr>?. I smell a tim.