Being priced out of the market

This is where a good scouting network realy should come into play but as we all know from past experience we don't have one! I feared this was going to be the case! There is bargains to be had but wether we can come up with them I'm not so sure! Looks like another long hard season!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our wage structure still allows us to sign good players in their early 20s from the continent.

I very much doubt that anyone at the club knows of any.

Justifiably. I mean they're all pansies on the continent, unable to meet the physical demands of the SPL or understand the SPL from an intellectual point of view.

You do realise mate, that you used SPL AND intellectual in the same sentence? :craphead:(tu)

Everyone on this site has multiple personalities .. i am sure of it.

One minute we are all moaning about the state of the clubs finances, due, in no small part to irresponsible spending to improve the playing squad when we didn't really have the money (or at least no-one new we didn't)

Now, when the club is trying to spend within its budget and keep the finances under control, we now complain about our lack of spending.

Do we buy a tried and trusted player for Britain, who we will likely pay over the odds for but at least knows the British game ..

or ...

Do we try and find a "bargain" in Europe of the developing countries/continents such as Africa or Eastern Europe, of course for many of these players, it would be their first time away from their homeland .. would they settle and turn into bargains or will it all end on tears with the fans complaing of signing another "dud"

Who would be the manager of Rangers .. not me.

This is just the club's way of lowering the expectations of the support.

spot on.

it is their way of saying that we will not attract any "big" names.

Who wants a big name? Boogie and King Carlos were hardly big names but have done a good job and were value for money.

I cannot for the life of me understand why we don't have a look at some decent German and Dutch players. At least we'll know they can trap a ball and pass it which is more than can be said for the average British player.

Sadly i think even the £2-3 million players like Cuellar & Bougherra are now outwith our price range but would agree we should be looking overseas for younger,ambitious players rather than the vastly over-inflated Brittish market.

I think there are three players on our doorstep who would drastically improve the team - Margaro Gomis, Craig Conway and Anthony Stokes. Craft in the middle of the park, pace out wide, and goals up front. I agree that you can find good value with overseas players, but every club is looking for value, even the ones with lots of money. We've got players in Scotland who we know can adapt to scottish football and we could get them relatively cheaply.

Starting to get really pissed off with this now.

First, why the fuck is Smith always so negative when it comes to us and buying players, and i mean free transfers. Nobody would want to join us the way he talk about problems all the time.

Second, we have ment to have offer Boyde £21k a week and have lost a few players on good money, so we should be able to get some decent free transfers, or is it just more bullshite from the club.

spot on.

Who wants a big name? Boogie and King Carlos were hardly big names but have done a good job and were value for money.

I cannot for the life of me understand why we don't have a look at some decent German and Dutch players. At least we'll know they can trap a ball and pass it which is more than can be said for the average British player.

Sadly i think even the £2-3 million players like Cuellar & Bougherra are now outwith our price range but would agree we should be looking overseas for younger,ambitious players rather than the vastly over-inflated Brittish market.

I think there are three players on our doorstep who would drastically improve the team - Margaro Gomis, Craig Conway and Anthony Stokes. Craft in the middle of the park, pace out wide, and goals up front. I agree that you can find good value with overseas players, but every club is looking for value, even the ones with lots of money. We've got players in Scotland who we know can adapt to scottish football and we could get them relatively cheaply.

Would agree that the three players you mention would improve the team although Im still not convinced we have the transfer budget required to purchase even two of them without first selling.

I agree that all 3 would be good signings, but I think we are covered well in central midfield already.

If Gomis was signed, then he should play RM, with Davo coming into the middle with Thommo & Conway on the left.

Conway Thommo Davis Gomis

spot on.

Would agree that the three players you mention would improve the team although Im still not convinced we have the transfer budget required to purchase even two of them without first selling.

I'd happily sell a first team player or two to help fund new signings.

I agree that all 3 would be good signings, but I think we are covered well in central midfield already.

If Gomis was signed, then he should play RM, with Davo coming into the middle with Thommo & Conway on the left.

Conway Thommo Davis Gomis

I'd sell Thomson tomorrow if he cant agree a new contract. I think he'll be off, along with anyone else with a year on their deal.

To move Davo into the middle for the better of the team, I feel Davis's best position is CM.

I haven't watched Gomis very often but when Utd have played us, I'm sure he floats across the midfield, so he should be comfortable in RM.

They are professional footballers afterall, surely as a pro midfielder you can adapt across the main 4 positions.

It's a bit different as a defender in terms of being competant in a variety of positions, right footed LB's aren't to my fancy as an example, but I think Gomis could play RM pretty well. (Honestly have only watched him against us though, so I could be wrong there)

To move Davo into the middle for the better of the team, I feel Davis's best position is CM.

I haven't watched Gomis very often but when Utd have played us, I'm sure he floats across the midfield, so he should be comfortable in RM.

They are professional footballers afterall, surely as a pro midfielder you can adapt across the main 4 positions.

It's a bit different as a defender in terms of being competant in a variety of positions, right footed LB's aren't to my fancy as an example, but I think Gomis could play RM pretty well. (Honestly have only watched him against us though, so I could be wrong there)

Morgaro Gomis on the right of midfield, just what this Rangers team needs aye :rolleyes:doh

Surprise, surprise this has been rolled out again.

Translation more downsizing (td)

What market are they looking in, because I have seen plenty deals that have been completed in recent days, and some of those signings could do more than a job at Rangers, and not cost a packet.

If we continually look to the SPL and British based players, we will we priced out of the market.

I'm not suprised by Walter Smith's comments, we hear the same old shit every season. We are skint, and the downsizing will continue. But hey, celtc have Neil Lennon, and we will blitz the league ;)

Muff, I've already stated a couple of time's I haven't seen him play very often.

I'm voicing an opinion based on a few games, so I can't exactly be sure he's what we're lookin for.

But then I don't watch every game of football this side of Jupiter, I have a life too

Surprise, surprise this has been rolled out again.

Translation more downsizing (td)

What market are they looking in, because I have seen plenty deals that have been completed in recent days, and some of those signings could do more than a job at Rangers, and not cost a packet.

If we continually look to the SPL and British based players, we will we priced out of the market.

I'm not suprised by Walter Smith's comments, we hear the same old shit every season. We are skint, and the downsizing will continue. But hey, celtc have Neil Lennon, and we will blitz the league ;)

You have to ask what is going on, British based players should not be where we are focusing if we are looking for value for money.

But saying that... Are we really looking for any players to bring in, I have my doubts.

The way things are heading it wont just be Celtic we need to look out for, Dundee Utd and Hibs wont be far behind.

But saying that... Are we really looking for any players to bring in, I have my doubts.

The way things are heading it wont just be Celtic we need to look out for, Dundee Utd and Hibs wont be far behind.

I agree with these points too, it will get to the last day of the transfer window again & well bring in shite like Rothen to fill the bench.

IF we aren't going to bring in pro's, then I hope some of our youth players are given more of a chance

Why would you sign Morgaro Gomis, and play him out of position. I don't understand some people on here.

:lol:

theyve been worshipping Walter too long, believing what he does is the way to go!! doh

(tu)

I think it will have to be bringing youngsters through as half decent players under contract are still costing over £2m.

We need to do something similar as we done with Aaron but not put some silly thing saying after a year you will be earning £10k a week, and obviously play him.

We need to start acting fast and I think that is by becoming a sort of feeder club for the elite teams out there with too much money and loads of players sitting about doing nothing.