Chris Eagles - MultiMerge Thread

Ibroxblue

I like both players but i have no idea why Smith has to get rid of Kevin we already have the funds for eagles (who will be a great player IF he comes to ibrox) unless they are planning to swoop for a new striker aswell maybe Welcome or some unkown player?????????????? point is why sell Kev???? we have a transfer kitty

Have you spoke to someone at the club. Since when was it confirmed we did have a transfer kitty <cr>

"We would love to go out and sign the Laudrups and the Gascoignes, but we can't do that.

We have come out of a difficult period - although we are not completely out of it yet - and we could be on an up curve as long as we don't create too much in terms of expectation

"In saying that, we have a certain amount of money to spend and now it's up to Walter and me to spend that money as wisely as we can.

"We have agreed with Lloyds that we can spend some of the Champions League income and we also hope to maintain wage levels as they currently stand and reinvest any transfer proceeds that we might have."

Martin Bain 26/5/2010

'

doh:lol: TBH, i've no been paying much attention to club football during the World Cup as i cba with the transfer rumours :sleep:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both players but i have no idea why Smith has to get rid of Kevin we already have the funds for eagles (who will be a great player IF he comes to ibrox) unless they are planning to swoop for a new striker aswell maybe Welcome or some unkown player?????????????? point is why sell Kev???? we have a transfer kitty

Have you spoke to someone at the club. Since when was it confirmed we did have a transfer kitty <cr>

"We would love to go out and sign the Laudrups and the Gascoignes, but we can't do that.

We have come out of a difficult period - although we are not completely out of it yet - and we could be on an up curve as long as we don't create too much in terms of expectation

"In saying that, we have a certain amount of money to spend and now it's up to Walter and me to spend that money as wisely as we can.

"We have agreed with Lloyds that we can spend some of the Champions League income and we also hope to maintain wage levels as they currently stand and reinvest any transfer proceeds that we might have."

Martin Bain 26/5/2010

I hate when people say "How do you know we have a transfer budget", whether we do or not is something we don't know right now, but the point is we were told we did, and if we don't, then it's yet another lie.

Why not sell lee or edu instead?

Because apparently we don't have to sell players. This is clearly a choice because the club are fearful he will walk away for nothing in a years time. Despite the fact that he said he wants to be here for life. I really can't see why we don't offer a one year contract extension, until we know where things are going. It will increase his value significantly, if nothing else, and if so desired, can be sold in the January transfer window.

We have been lied to again and again. What happened about Walter's statement that he would be offered a new contract?

If we were that fearful about players walking, we would never have let Boyd go for nothing.

I recall the club making a decision on Boyd NOT to sell him for a small fee as he had 6 months to go but rather keep him and help us get Champ League football and pick up 10m. Makes sense to me but in hind sight he didnt contribute too much in the run home.

Martin Bain 26/5/2010

I hate when people say "How do you know we have a transfer budget", whether we do or not is something we don't know right now, but the point is we were told we did, and if we don't, then it's yet another lie.

As I said, ive never seen this quote before and haven't been paying much attention the club football or the financial troubles during the WC..

Eagles is a good player and a goal threat so hopefully true.

Thommo was always the one we could afford to lose.......McCulloch is the golden boy and Walter would rather he and Davis controlled the midfield...Edu is cover.

I would like us to sign Goncalves as left back,keep Boogie and McGregor,on top of Eagles sign maybe Brunt and go for a striker.

Bring through Perry,MacMillan and Shinnie and play Fleck more as an attacking midfielder/striker instead of a winger...

I could live with a first team of.

McGregor,Whitty,Webster,Boogie,Goncalves,Brunt,Davis,McCulloch,Eagles,Miller,Fleck/Lafferty...although another striker would be preferable

No, he will continue out on the right, McCulloch and Edu in the middle and we will bring in a cheap left sided player.

Re Chris Eagles - so we sell Thomson for £2m then go and sign Eagles for £1.5m plus a signing on fee plus wages over the course of a 3-5 year period... I really don't see that. I'd imagine he will be on decent enough wages and I certainly don't see us spending that sort of money on the one player.

What I love is the way everyone is saying we should sell Edu or McCulloch instead of KT, answer me this, where is the interest in the other two players?

There was an apparent £1 million interest from Hamburg or something like that for McCulloch a while back, that's about it.

I don't think we have a transfer budget.

Another lie.

Didnt Bain or someone say we have money to spend on new players or was that just paper talk.

I can remember reading that we have a budget but not sure if it was paper talk or actual quotes from the club.

Having not noticed this, Thomson out, Eagles in would not be that bad a deal but would he really come up here to play?

Burnley bought Eagles originally with the money they got from Lafferty and had plenty to spare :anguish:

ET suggest we may get Eagles for £1million

Rangers could land signing target Chris Eagles for half the money they bank from selling Kevin Thomson to Middlesbrough.

Walter Smith is already lining up a move for the Burnley midfielder and hopes to make him the club’s first summer signing.

Eagles could be signed for around £1m from the Championship side as he is into the last year of his contract at Turf Moor.

He has also been forced to take a hit in wages due to a clause in his contract that stated they would be reduced should Burnley be relegated from the Premier League, as they were last season.

The Ibrox manager wants to deploy the former Manchester United star on the right of midfield, which would allow him to push Steven Davis inside to the middle of the park and fill the void left by Thomson’s imminent departure to The Riverside.

With Lee McCulloch and Maurice Edu vying for central midfield slots, Smith sanctioned the sale of Thommo after Boro tabled a £2m bid for the Scotland international, who was entering the final year of his contract and would have been available on a Bosman this time next year.

Thomson was today holding contract talks and is likely to go for a medical and become Gordon Strachan’s latest Old Firm recruit after he snapped up Kris Boyd last week.

Smith is hoping to beat off competition for Eagles’ signature ahead of Sunderland and Bolton.

A Rangers insider revealed: “Thomson was entering the final year of his contract and the money he was looking for to commit to a new contract was more than Rangers could offer him so it made sense to sell him.

“Plus, the manager is pretty well off for midfielders who can play in the middle of the park and if this now allows him to land someone like Eagles, who started off at Manchester United and has played in the English Premier League, then it is good business.”

Thomson is the fifth player to leave Rangers since the end of last season with Nacho Novo moving to Sporting Gijon on a free, Stevie Smith doing the same by joining Norwich City and DaMarcus Beasley also being released.

Smith still hopes to target a player to play wide on the left of midfield if he lands Eagles for the opposite side.

Dundee United’s Chris Conway has been linked with a possible move to the SPL champions.

He also wants to land another striker to compete with Kenny Miller and Kyle Lafferty for a position in attack, although he does hope to see more from both Steven Naismith and John Fleck this season as well.

Bolton are after him too

According to reports Bolton Wanderers and Rangers FC are battling for Burnley FC midfielder Chris Eagles.

The Scottish Sun claims Eagles is chasing Premier League football after impressing last season in the top flight.

Celtic had expressed an interest in former England Under-21 starlet with Blackpool looking to agree a one-year loan deal.

Ex-Clarets boss Owen Coyle is also keen to hook up again with the winger while Rangers appear to make a bid.