William McBeaths Dedication

I attended William McBeaths headstone dedication in Lincoln today, I am humbled and privilged, just under a year ago I posted on RM about me going down to Lincoln to put a small plaque there as a temporary marker, believing that the club would immediately be doing something about it, how naive am I. It was Rangers supporters all over that done it. I applaud you all.

If all Bears were VanguardBears, no one could touch us.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended William McBeaths headstone dedication in Lincoln today, I am humbled and privilged, just under a year ago I posted on RM about me going down to Lincoln to put a small plaque there as a temporary marker, believing that the club would immediately be doing something about it, how naive am I. It was Rangers supporters all over that done it. I applaud you all.

If all Bears were VanguardBears, no one could touch us.

ive already posted my thoughts on VB but will do so again, if i could have been there i would have been as proud as you are, and 1 day i shall toast our gallant pioneers with all who made this journey (tu)

4 boys that what a wonderful gesture and undertaking - my cap is doffed to all of you.

I believe there was some local media interest ?

There was, a reporter, girl, and a photographer, bloke. The photographer walked away with a VB sticker on his bag, with full awareness that it was there.

sometimes it takes 1 person to push a snowball down a hill to create something, you 4boysandabaw are the pusher of snowballs . i sir salute you

Thank you mate,

that is, if you pardon the poofy expression, lovely, I hadnt thought of it that way.

sometimes it takes 1 person to push a snowball down a hill to create something, you 4boysandabaw are the pusher of snowballs . i sir salute you

Thank you mate,

that is, if you pardon the poofy expression, lovely, I hadnt thought of it that way.

well you should because one day your work will be recognised by all

you are an inspiration to most of us, even ive started reading books without pictures :D

Thank you mate,

well you should because one day your work will be recognised by all

you are an inspiration to most of us, even ive started reading books without pictures :D

It was the picture (of Williams unmarked grave) wot done it.

Was an honour to be there and a very poignant ceremony took place.

Mr McBeath now has a resting place befitting his status in our history.

As an aside it was also nice to repair the damage done from the previous week when hordes of filth fought with each other all over Lincoln.

As I expected,we conducted ourselves well and the locals would have us back anytime.

4boys and VanguardBears, I salute you all for this fantastic thing you have done :praise:

Den, I wouldn't have thought you had a poetic bone in your body but that was a great post:

(tu)

Was there any vandalism at the site of Mr McBeath's memorial?

Or do you mean damage to the reputation of football fans from Glasgow?

im assuming he means the reputation of football fans after the celtic supports behaviour in lincoln last weekend

Local news report:

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/tombstone-dedicated-founder-Glasgow-Rangers-Football-Club/article-2479213-detail/article.html

HAUNTING music and more than a few tears accompanied a ceremony dedicating a gravestone to a footballing legend.

Devoted Rangers FC fans travelled 300 miles to a Lincoln cemetery to see the culmination of months of work to get the grave of one of the club's founding fathers properly marked.

Last year it came to light William McBeath, one of the four founders of the club in 1872, was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave along with a woman called Catherine Brumby, at a cemetery in Washingborough Road.

Members of the Vanguard Bears, a website for Rangers supporters, raised money to lease the plot for 50 years and to mark it with a proper headstone after hearing one man from Glasgow, John Hamilton, had made the trip to attach a plaque to a tree near the unmarked grave.

Speaking at the ceremony, Vanguard Bears administrator John McCrae said: "Many wanted to come, but for one reason or another, they could not make the journey.

"We honoured few are here to represent them all. They may, we hope, choose to make the journey another day.

"We feel contrasting emotions today, sorrow and joy, pride and humility, but overall may I suggest we should feel a sense of having done right by one of God's creatures so shamefully ignored.

"It was done for William and because there was never anyone for her, for Catherine, and it was done for every Rangers fan throughout the world."

McBeath's final resting place was revealed in the book Rangers 1872: The Gallant Pioneers, which also said by the end of his life he was penniless and a "certified imbecile" – now known as an Alzheimer's sufferer.

John Hamilton, who put up the original plaque which is still on a nearby tree, said: "I was so moved by the story when I read it. But for the grace of God I could have ended up in a poorhouse at one point in my life.

"That thought moved me and I thought it was so wrong someone who gave so much to so many people wasn't getting the recognition he deserved.

"I travelled down with a plaque and a flag to pay tribute to him."

The group are also determined the ground – once overgrown and forgotten – will be maintained and stay in good condition for years to come.

Staff at the cemetery, as well as fans from the city, will tend the grave each month.

The gravestone itself bears two Rangers crests, used with permission of the club.

The first is the crest used now and the second shows what the crest would have been when McBeath founded and played for the club.

Superb work from VB... :)