Where are we (you) all from ?

Balgairbear

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locharbriggs wee housing estate in Dumfries .

Dumfries used to be a right Proddy toon now its riddled

with bead rattling candle burning kiddy fiddlin soap dodging dirty

fenian cants.

Locharbriggs wee housing estate in Dumfries .

Dumfries used to be a right Proddy toon now its riddled

with bead rattling candle burning kiddy fiddlin soap dodging dirty

fenian cants.

I remember going to an orange (maybe Apprentice boys) march in Dumfries a few years ago. Is there still an orange lodge in the town? My da lives near Palmerston (tu)

:lol: Everyone I know from Carfin are catholics and tims

Well! I can't imagine it has changed much from the early 1960's,but in those days I think Carfin was about 80% catholic.Funnily enough, both religions seemed to get on ok, except for the "plastic paddy" element that started surfacing around that period.

I'll tell you a funny story about a guy who worked with me, who was about 50yrs old,born and bred in Carfin.

He decided to go into Glasgow and buy a ticket for one of those Mystery Tours...so off he goes into Glasgow, pays his money...gets on the swanky coach for the mystery tour and ends up at Carfin Grotto...Right round the corner from his fuckin house! :lol:

He was absolutely fuming...But the best (or in Wullie's case,the worst) was yet to come,when the coach driver told him he had to return to Glasgow to finish the tour,because the terms of conditions stated that ALL passengers had to disembark at the point of commencement...Which of course was Glasgow! doh

So according to Wullie, he had to go back to Glasgow and then return to Carfin. It was his first Mystery Tour and his last.

Well! I can't imagine it has changed much from the early 1960's,but in those days I think Carfin was about 80% catholic.Funnily enough, both religions seemed to get on ok, except for the "plastic paddy" element that started surfacing around that period.

I'll tell you a funny story about a guy who worked with me, who was about 50yrs old,born and bred in Carfin.

He decided to go into Glasgow and buy a ticket for one of those Mystery Tours...so off he goes into Glasgow, pays his money...gets on the swanky coach for the mystery tour and ends up at Carfin Grotto...Right round the corner from his fuckin house! :lol:

He was absolutely fuming...But the best (or in Wullie's case,the worst) was yet to come,when the coach driver told him he had to return to Glasgow to finish the tour,because the terms of conditions stated that ALL passengers had to disembark at the point of commencement...Which of course was Glasgow! doh

So according to Wullie, he had to go back to Glasgow and then return to Carfin. It was his first Mystery Tour and his last.

:lol: one of the worst moments i've heard in a while.I would have never got back on that coach in a million years. I would have had some laugh with that if he was my mate.

:lol: one of the worst moments i've heard in a while.I would have never got back on that coach in a million years. I would have had some laugh with that if he was my mate.

I was only a young fella then (16 or 17yrs old) and I couldn't believe he would be so daft as to tell us, because I'm fuckin sure I would have kept my trap shut.At that time of my life, it was one of the funniest things i'd ever heard.

I was only a young fella then (16 or 17yrs old) and I couldn't believe he would be so daft as to tell us, because I'm fuckin sure I would have kept my trap shut.At that time of my life, it was one of the funniest things i'd ever heard.

You would think he was taking the piss :lol: