The RM Official Davie Cooper Memorial Tribute

Coopermania

Davie Cooper : on leaving Rangers ......

"I do feel a little bit frustrated that these good and exciting times at Ibrox have come a little too late for me. But against that frustration is the realism that I have enjoyed a marvelous career that others would give their right arm for so I cant be greedy."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Davie Cooper :on leaving Rangers ....

"I do feel a little bit frustrated that these good and exciting times at Ibrox have come a little too late for me. But against that frustration is the realism that I have enjoyed a marvelous career that others would give their right arm for so I can’t be greedy."

(tu)

I'd give my arms and legs to play just the once for Rangers!

My favourite memory of Coop is at a game at Fir Park. We won 3-0 and I think Davie Mitchell and Colin McAdam scored but I maybe wrong there. Coop was my hero and he came down to take a corner near where we were standing. I shouted "come on davie" just as noise died down. He looked straight across at me, I was awestruck. I was about 8 at that time and the day he died I had a driving lesson and I had tears in my eyes the whole hour. I didn't learn much that day.

A genius and a Ger!

DVDs

The Davie Cooper Story, 2003

Recommended. Excellent overview of Davies footballing career and life. Contains brilliant footage of all his famous goals and lots of great interviews with former team mates and managers.

Thats what me and the bird will be watching when I go up the stairs, what an awesome dvd!

My favourite memory of Coop is at a game at Fir Park. We won 3-0 and I think Davie Mitchell and Colin McAdam scored but I maybe wrong there. Coop was my hero and he came down to take a corner near where we were standing. I shouted "come on davie" just as noise died down. He looked straight across at me, I was awestruck. I was about 8 at that time and the day he died I had a driving lesson and I had tears in my eyes the whole hour. I didn't learn much that day.

A genius and a Ger!

unreal geo, its things like this that stay with you forever. (beer2)

from http://www.singaporedcmrsc.org/

David (Davie) Cooper (February 25, 1956 - March 23, 1995) Davie started his career at Clydebank F.C. where he was an instant success, helping the club to the second division championship in 1975 - 1976. Some of the major clubs began to take notice of his ability and in 1977 he was signed by Rangers manager Jock Wallace for £100,000. With Rangers, Cooper won three League Championships and three Scottish Cups. By season 1988-1989 he was no longer a first team regular and moved to Motherwell for £50,000. He went on to win the Scottish Cup with Motherwell in 1991 before returning to his former club Clydebank in 1994.

He tragically died of a brain haemorrhage on March 23, 1995 at just 39 and whilst still playing professional football with his first club, Clydebank. The tragedy stunned all of Scottish football and fans united in paying their respects to not only a player amongst football's most talented Left Footed Footballers, but also arguably one of Scottish football's most talented ever players.

His funeral took place at Hillhouse Parish Church, Hamilton on Monday March 27, 1995.

Davie Cooper is remembered as one of the most significant players in the histories of Clydebank, Rangers and Motherwell football clubs. In his eulogy to Cooper, the then Rangers manager, Walter Smith, said that "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used.â€

Christine Cooper’s article in the Rangers Monthly:

“My Love for Davieâ€

Christine Cooper shed a river of tears when she was told her beloved Davie had died. Although the couple had become estranged in later years, Christine never lost any love for her soul-mate Coop.

The couple married in the spring 1980 at Coatdyke Congregational Church in Airdrie and, although they separated 10 years later, Christine insists they were the happiest times of her life.

“I miss him very much†reflects Christine. “Although we had separated, Davie was always phoning or popping in to see me. We were still very close. Davie was very family-orientated and outside of that he loved his horse racing, squash and laterally tennis. He loved our dog, which was called Blue funnily enough, but sadly it too has passed on.

Christine met Coop through Davie’s brother, John, who had been dating one of her workmates. She admits that, it her case, it was love at first sight.

“Straight away I began to follow Davie’s career,†she said. “I used to go to Clydebank and watch him. I was active in sports but I was never really hooked on football until I met him. I never appreciated how good he was until I watched videos and heard people talking, it was as though the ball was glued to his feet.â€

“Like most players he was disappointed if his team had lost but Davie would always try to give 100 per cent and sometimes his head would be down if his team had won but he hadn’t performed well. That was Davie though, a perfectionist.â€

Christine is set to visit friends in Singapore next month, where she is to gain instant honorary membership to the Davie Cooper Memorial Rangers Supporter Club, based in The Sportsman’s Bar on Orchard Road.

She said: “I have friends in Singapore and they told me the locals there are over the moon because the Sportsman’s Bar is apparently a shrine to Davie. That says it all about the man. It’s good to hear that even in far-off countries Davie is still remembered and loved. He was an exceptionally kind man and I do miss himâ€.

Christine also backed the Davie Cooper Memorial Fund and asked fans to continue to help the cause.

“I know that when the Daily Record stopped the initial appeal for cash, people were asking where their money was going. The funds have well spent in research but we can’t allow it to dwindle. For Davie’s sake we must keep it going.â€

Christine indeed visited us at The Sportsman and presented Davie’s windbreaker to the Davie Cooper Memorial Rangers Supporters Club which now hangs proudly in The Sportsman beside his number “11†shirt.

Please support the Davie Cooper Memorial Fund, Hamilton, Scotland (Tel 1675 464492).

Guest therabbitt

I used to train at Clyde as a youngster and was due on the astroturf after Davie and the first team that day, sad times

A legend however you define the word

Sorely missed

Dutch legend Ruud Gullit hailed former Rangers and Motherwell star Davie Cooper as one of the greatest talents in the game's history - 10 years after the winger's death. (Daily Record)

This is true, I cant find the quote itself, but its out there.

http://media.putfile.com/Davie-Cooper

What a player. Just such a fine fine player.

Sadly not in my time. What a feeling it must have been to watch him live in action.

Davie Cooper the best player to ever pull on the blue and white.

RIP.

72, looking at this, I could cry. Sadly missed, but what great memories.

Dutch legend Ruud Gullit hailed former Rangers and Motherwell star Davie Cooper as one of the greatest talents in the game's history - 10 years after the winger's death. (Daily Record)

This is true, I cant find the quote itself, but its out there.

Looks like it could be from the bbc gossip column.

Should be up tomorrow morning.

The word 'legend' is used a lot in this day and age, but I believe no-one more than Davie Cooper deserves to be called such.

He's the true definition of the word, along with the other great men to play for Rangers.

I was only 7 when he died, just remember my dad being in shock for days.

I was quite surprised he was not mentioned under the 23rd March Wikipedia page. So I put a change to that. Someone else can put it in the events section if they wish. (tu)

Rest in peace Coop!

I honestly thought coop could have been better than he was if only he shook off that moody personality...he would play 2 or 3 excellent matches and then hide for 3 or 4 matches he was a strange character at times but he was an absolute joy to watch when he was on his game

I was one of his biggest critics coz I wanted him to turn it on every match hence the reason I think he could have been better than he was.

I was devastated when I heard he had passed away and it was a cruel move by the man upstairs to take him away before his time was really up...it makes me wonder if there really is someone upstairs coz he takes more good things away when at the same time he seems to look down on all the sheeite we have tp put up with in the world with unjust wars and all that....straying of the subject here !

Anyway......RIP as always Davie and I say this with a tear in my eye coz it was a pleasure to know you even if it wasnt personally (beer)

I honestly thought coop could have been better than he was if only he shook off that moody personality...he would play 2 or 3 excellent matches and then hide for 3 or 4 matches he was a strange character at times but he was an absolute joy to watch when he was on his game

I was one of his biggest critics coz I wanted him to turn it on every match hence the reason I think he could have been better than he was.

I was devastated when I heard he had passed away and it was a cruel move by the man upstairs to take him away before his time was really up...it makes me wonder if there really is someone upstairs coz he takes more good things away when at the same time he seems to look down on all the sheeite we have tp put up with in the world with unjust wars and all that....straying of the subject here !

Anyway......RIP as always Davie and I say this with a tear in my eye coz it was a pleasure to know you even if it wasnt personally (beer)

I used to criticise him myself, Fish, but in hindsight; 1 we were lucky to have him in our team & 2. i now genuinely feel some of the rubbish players he played with dragged him down every now and then.

could be frustrating to watch at times, agreed, but he was surrounded by very average players during a large spell of his time with the club. I dread to think how poor we would have been without him. RIP Davie.

Iv run out of superlatives to describe just how good this man was, and what he shared with Rangers.

You ask someone what has been your lowest point as a Rangers fans...losing to celtic 6-2? our current state of affairs? That crushing night v CSKA?

Nope..mines is when i found out Coop died. You know..i actually cried. Cried over someone i hadnt even met in person. A person that didnt know me, and had no idea i existed.

But the good times out-do the bad times where Coops concerned...I know its going to be nearly everyones favourite coop moment...but THAT free kick v Aberdeen will long live in the memory of bears throughout the world.

Jim Leighton : " I got a fingertip touch on that"

Coop : "Aye..on the way back oot!"

Iv run out of superlatives to describe just how good this man was, and what he shared with Rangers.

You ask someone what has been your lowest point as a Rangers fans...losing to celtic 6-2? our current state of affairs? That crushing night v CSKA?

Nope..mines is when i found out Coop died. You know..i actually cried. Cried over someone i hadnt even met in person. A person that didnt know me, and had no idea i existed.

But the good times out-do the bad times where Coops concerned...I know its going to be nearly everyones favourite coop moment...but THAT free kick v Aberdeen will long live in the memory of bears throughout the world.

(beer)

Your emotions are exactly how I felt...the man did nobody any harm except on the pitch when he turned it on

He was the most confident player Ive ever watched when he felt like it....even better than Bestie and thats not my heart ruling my head its my honest opinion hence the reason I said earlier he could have been better (beer)

The day of his funeral me and some mates went and stood outside the church, the service was on loudspeaker outside so the fans could hear. McCoist told the story when they were at training and him and coop were following at the rear at the running and McCoist said to Coop look at Gary Stevens out in front he's as fit as a butchers dog. Coop turned to him and said ''Aye but throw him a ba' and see what happens.'' We all laughed. But I went home that night and cried tears like a wean.

R.I.P Davie.

If ever a man earned the title a true blue,then Davie was that man. He gave me so many happy memories and I will be eternally grateful for his contribution to Ragers great history. If there is a heaven then Davie will be in their All Stars side thats for sure.

Thanks Davie.