Smith will waste our time with Weiss

CanadianBacon

We haven't had a winger with the pace and trickery of Weiss for some years now - he's what most teams need - a fast tricky right winger with a decent cross and a good football brain.

I've watched Weiss for two and a bit games now (Easter Road and Ibrox) and he looks like he's the real deal and I'm delighted we've got him for a season and it's an arrangement that could work out well for both Rangers and his 'home' team of Man City - CL experience and all that - but if Smith continues to play the boy out of position then he could fuck up what could be a beautiful, albeit short-term marriage.

Weiss is a right-sided winger - that stood out at Easter Road - but yesterday Smith stuck him out on the left-wing (Lafferty anyone?) and he's never a left-winger.

Granted his ball to Miller for the second goal in Edinburgh came from a one-two down the left flank but that's not his strong suit.

Yesterday (on the left) not once did he go to the bye-line and cut a ball back - his natural instinct was to cut inside and cross with his right foot - the St Johnstone defenders quickly sussed that one out and he was blocked and caught in possession numerous time. Nor was he able to use to full advantage his blistering pace because he knew (as did the defenders) that at some point he'd have to put on the brakes and get the ball back to his favoured right foot for the cross in.

A blind man could see he'd be more effective down the right. :angry:

What is it with Smith and this continual playing players out of position?

It drives me fucking nuts!! :angry:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am inclined to agree with you, however, there is a method in the madness in having him on the left flank to cut inside to his better foot.

Loads of top teams and top managers do it.

Personally I'd just build the team around him. Have him on the right and tell the midfield to play with more urgency and use him when possible. I seen him track back a bit too much for my liking yesterday and wondered if it was a sign of things to come - ruining a good player after a week.

But it's too early. The wee mans a class act - and he showed that again yesterday.

yes i think right footed wingers can work on the left side if they mix it up abit, by going to the line and trying with the left foot. but not once did weiss try this on saturday, so to get the full potential out of weiss i think he has to be played out on the right. hope smith see's this. :rolleyes:

Walter done the same with Rothen and we all know how that turned out.

Every time he got the ball on the left hand side he wanted to cut in onto his right foot and was crowded out.

Get him on the right hand side and let him beat players and get to the byline.

yes i think right footed wingers can work on the left side if they mix it up abit, by going to the line and trying with the left foot. but not once did weiss try this on saturday, so to get the full potential out of weiss i think he has to be played out on the right. hope smith see's this. :rolleyes:

Pretty much my point entirely.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

I think I saw him once on the right and he was only there because he had just hit a corner and the ball came back to him

Exactly.

To those saying he was switching, it's not true.

He was barely on the right yesterday, to everyone saying he was switching.

The only time he found himself on the right hand side was when he was taking a corner.

He stayed on the right hand side until the ball went out of play and then switched back.

CB... Weiss and Naisy switched all the time.. It's what all great wingers do in the modern game.

I do see your point. But Vladi is a good enough player to play anywhere on the pitch imho.

Edit: Watch Ronaldinho when he plays on the left. Does the same. Any right footed player does the same.

What you have not addressed is: We need Steven Naismith in the starting 11. That is why Vladimir is on the left.

What it your preferred 11 then?

CB... Weiss and Naisy switched all the time.. It's what all great wingers do in the modern game.

I do see your point. But Vladi is a good enough player to play anywhere on the pitch imho.

Edit: Watch Ronaldinho when he plays on the left. Does the same. Any right footed player does the same.

What you have not addressed is: We need Steven Naismith in the starting 11. That is why Vladimir is on the left.

They didnt switch at all.

It comes down to who is a better player? Weiss or Naismith?

I'd say Weiss is a better right midfielder, so he should play in his natural position and Naismith should play on the left.

Best 11 would be

:mcgregor:

:whittaker: :weir: :bougherra: :papac:

:weiss: :davis: :edu: :Naismith:

:jelavic: :miller:

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

They didn't switch once.

Watch the game more closely next time, or find a better link.

Spot on mate, but your wasting your time with In Walter We Trust crew.

Sorry... he's not spot on.. and has nothing to do with the "Walter we trust crew"

As I said above.. we need Naisy AND Weiss. Weiss is the more talented footballer... Where would you fit them in? (tu)