Andrius Velicka

Signed for a million quid, less than six months after he signed a bumper contract with Viking in Norway, at a time when we already had Cousin, Darcheville, Boyd, Miller, Naismith & Lafferty on the books.

Two years, 8-10 apperances, a loan deal and a serious knee injury later and it looks like he could be used as a makeweight in a deal which will allow us to bring in a squad player from Aberdeen.

Smith can bemoan the lack of money he's had at his disposal over the past few years, but nonsensical signings like this, along with Andy Webster (another player who probably cost us a decent whack and we are still waiting to see a return on him) is a massive part of the reason that we ended up in the state we did.

If he does leave the club in a part exchange for a player who is worth no more than 200,000 then questions should be asked among the hierarchy as to why we targeted and shelled out on him in the first place.

know its not a major thinking point but his goal against falkirk (first game of the season) won us that game 1-0 - that season we went to the final day to win the 52nd title.... without his goal, the title would not have been ours! that title got us £12m CL money too....

To be honest I had high hopes for him, was surprised that neither us or Celtic came in for him at the time he went to Viking. Just never really worked out for him at Rangers (or even when he went out on loan). Just shows you there are no certainties in life.

£4.75m on Lafferty and Velicka is/was complete and utter irresponsible spending from Walter Smith.

Given the financial constraints we ran into directly after that, it's one of the biggest mistakes he's made in his career.

ok there was that goal and a few in the run in to note but for a million, a real waste of money

it was that good goal that won us the league you could say and giving us £12m CL money.... just how i see it :)

Horrendous signing along with Lafferty and Webster.

That's £5.4m spent on those three - a lot of money and still we don't have a left sided midfielder/winger.

it was that good goal that won us the league you could say and giving us £12m CL money.... just how i see it :)

that goal did not win us the league!! yes it was a goal that won us that game but thats only one game!! there are 38 in a season!!!

that goal did not win us the league!! yes it was a goal that won us that game but thats only one game!! there are 38 in a season!!!

tell me - we dont score taht goal so we finish at 0-0, do we win the league? those 2 points were very important to us! Yeah hearts drew with them and we won 3-0 but had that game not gone the way it did, would we have won the league? other games were not effected by it.

To be fair, I feel a little sorry for Velicka. He was a proven SPL goal scorer that couldn't get a run in the side, nor stay free from injury. Had he managed either I think he'd have proved to be useful to us, but alas it was not to be.

But that leads me on to another point.

League titles are won and lost in Scotland, not by results between the Old Firm, but by the number of points dropped against the lesser sides in the SPL. Now considering Aberdeen only turn up for a game 4 times a season out of 38 and that's against us - I find it staggering that we would gift them a proven SPL goal scorer; who now would have a point to prove.

As I said before, this "deal" for want of a better word, is more suited to the detestable Aberdeen than to us.

never wanted him and was well surpirsed when we forked out over a mil for him, however, not every transfer works out, think its a bit harsh people slaggin Walter for these buys, considering he has made some very sound buys since returning to Ibrox, in particular, the profit made on Carlos Cuellar and also Boughie, davis, miller, weir have been great signings for the club

he also sold alan hutton for 9mil pounds

I have to be honest and admit I thought he would have turned out to be a good signing for us but in the end we would have been better of signing me.

£1m and he managed 8 games, although in 8 games he scored 5 goals.