The transfer window is over - are we satisfied with our lot?

nvager

Thomson apart, we have lost nobody to other teams.

We have added 2 strikers, a winger and a fullback.

My thoughts are we did what we could with the money available and on the whole I am fairly pleased. (I pray though that Beattie improves with more time/games/fitness training.)

The squad is small and just maybe a youngster or two will come through. (Wilson surprised WS and maybe another "Wilson" is just waiting for his chance.)

So onwards in the SPL and hopefully some good displays in the CL.

Should be an interesting campaign.

Thomson apart, we have lost nobody to other teams.

We have added 2 strikers, a winger and a fullback.

My thoughts are we did what we could with the money available and on the whole I am fairly pleased. (I pray though that Beattie improves with more time/games/fitness training.)

The squad is small and just maybe a youngster or two will come through. (Wilson surprised WS and maybe another "Wilson" is just waiting for his chance.)

So onwards in the SPL and hopefully some good displays in the CL.

Should be an interesting campaign.

All in all I'm pretty pleased. The Weiss deal was a fantastic bit of business as we have been crying out for a natural winger for years. Jelavic is an exciting prospect and I'm confident Beattie will come good and play an important part in the team.

Foster was bought as cover for a position we are weak on so that's a reasonable piece of business also, especially with Velicka going the other way.

Not happy that we lost Thomson but I suppose it's better he goes now for a fee rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the Season.

Keeping hold of Miller, Booghie, Davis, McGregor, etc is also pleasing.

That said, we are still weak in some areas and our squad is dangerously thin, especially as we will be fighting on 4 fronts this Season. If we are lucky with injuries and suspensions then I am confident we will retain our title.

I thought before the summer we needed to add some width and a striker to replace Boyd, we've done that. Not only did we get replacements, but they appear to be of real quality- two highly rated players with good pedigrees. And on top of that we added Beattie, who will give us a physical presence we haven't had since Cousin. Foster should be squad depth and an option off the bench with his pace.

Losing Thomson hurts, but if we couldn't offer him a new contract, we did the sensible thing and got some cash for him- same thing with D Wilson. And I do think we will see a youngster or two come in the same way Wilson did last season. Perhaps Wylde or Ness?

I'm very pleased that the transfer window is closed and we still have......

1 AM - the best goalkeeper in Scotland and one of the best in the UK

2 Boogie

3 The best midfielder in Scottish football - Steve Davis

4 King Kenny

and have replaced lazy arsed Boyd with Jelavic. ;)

All in all it could have been better but could have been a helluva lot worse given our financial position at the moment and I'm confident we now have a squad that will make it 3IAR. :21:

I'm very pleased that the transfer window is closed and we still have......

1 AM - the best goalkeeper in Scotland and one of the best in the UK

2 Boogie

3 The best midfielder in Scottish football - Steve Davis

4 King Kenny

and have replaced lazy arsed Boyd with Jelavic. ;)

All in all it could have been better but could have been a helluva lot worse given our financial position at the moment and I'm confident we now have a squad that will make it 3IAR. :21:

great spine to the team with an addition of a natural wide player and jelavic

although and this may be harsh, beattie imo for what it is worth i think was a panic buy for walter, he was wanting jelavic and it was dragging i think he panicked and got beattie in as cover incase the jealvic deal broke down.

As has been said it's as good as we could have hoped for although the squad is a bit small to be fighting on two fronts.

It's not just that there are an extra 6 games in the CL because each of these games are like 2 in the SPL ... so we are really looking at the equivalent of 12 more than septic

Given the lack of real money I think WS has done fantastic business. Weiss looks the part in the two games we have seen him in and Jelavic has all the right credentials. Foster did well for Aberdeen and will put pressure on Papac and we have got rid of Velicka so all and all very happy.

To be honest i'm never happy with our squad. I always feel we could a bit of quality but given the financial situation the club still finds itself in it's the biggest outcome we could have hoped for.

The target now is for Martin Bain to get Miller, Papac and Alexander tied down on new contracts before the January window opens

Sure beats last seasons FUD factor (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).

.. and we retained Walter and his team!

Personally dissapointed Boyd left - (Still the King is dead long live the King) - glad McGregor, Davis and Bougherra are still here - midfield creativity worries me slightly but let's see what the boy Weiss does for us (On the LEFT !!rolleyes.gif ) .

Players I have my doubts about and now must prove themselves - Edu, Naismith and Webster.

Player I have least expectation off - Lafferty

Ambition is SPL BUT I would love a 'lack of' humiliation in the CL (so I would take 3rd in CL group)

Not selling Shagger, Boughy, Davis or Miller was excellent. Add in the new guys and all in all a good summer for us. Hope my optimism transfers to results on the pitch. We should only be that interested in the SPL and the CL. Keeping first XI players fit and injury free for the big two competitions should be our priority. The other competitions should go to Ally and other squad players with Walter dictating who he has at his disposal when picking his team. Some players might moan a bit about medal opportunities but the club having an opportunity to play in the CL is more important than that.

7 players out and 4 players in, but looking at it realistically apart from having a larger squad will we really miss the seven players that have left?

Velicka - definitely not!

Boyd - Natural goalscorer but we have Jelavic who appears to be able to score goals, and this season without Boyd, Miller has started on fire and if he keeps this up should surpass what he did last season easily, so for me Boyd isn't a miss.

KT - mixed emotions on this one, but we have Edu and McCulloch who can play there and could even give a youngster a chance - Hutton for example when he got some game time so there is cover, oh and ironically KT is out injured again, unlucky to him for that.

Beasley - Just never seemed to be fit enough when he was here so never really got proper game time so won't be missed.

Novo - super sub himself, but that is all he really was never mind how much I loved him as a blue nose so even though full of passion etc isn't going to be too much of a loss.

Smith - could have been really good for us if not for injury and illness over his time so didn't have game time so therefore no loss.

Can't remember who the seventh player was!!!

All in all, a good piece of business for us over the transfer window, we've kept the spine of the team and have made some good additions and with the sale of a couple of players we've only spent about £2 million, but how much more have we saved in wages?

Ideally we would have an 18man senior squad with younger players making up the difference.

However, we have what we have.

My only real concern is defence, our 2 main players are Bougherra, who is looking a bit plump & may still do his usual dissappearing act when on International duty, however when he plays, he is usually outstanding. Weir, a 40yr old defender who is starting to show his age, with pacy forward sgetting by him easier than before.

Our only back-up is Webster ... who is constantly injured. How can a guy who plays 22 games for Dundee Utd come back to us and become injured again, i do worry sometimes for our fitness regime.

I presume there are youth defenders, the likes of Perry, who could step in, as Wilson did.

I just worry that is the area where we are weakest.

Going on what 's been happening (or not as it may be) in the last 2 or 3 years , i think we have to be happy with our lot.

A few months back , i thought MacArthur our Goodwillie were going to be our lot , with maybe a couple of average loan deals too.

Thought Bougherra and MacGregor were certs to go as well. Have to get behind what we've got now .Let's do 54 people.

bein honest, before the window opened i thought we would lose alot of quality players and IF we got anyone in they would be utter gash just to make up the numbers. thought that this season would be the biggest fight rangers have had on their hands in recent times. however, looking at our team, who we have managed to hold on to and the quality of the signings we have made i have no doubt in my head that we will certainly win the league and there is no reason why we cant compete in Europe. glad the window is shut and lookin forward to every single game this season!! WATP!