Ewen Cameron

ScottBF2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I heard him say his wife was English, which would make it (not impossible, but) unlikely she's a tim.

As for the article, excellent stuff. Best bit was the anecdote about his experience walking with the Rangers fans, good on ye Ewen!

I heard him say before his wife and her family are all Irish. I could be wrong, though.

I heard him say before his wife and her family are all Irish. I could be wrong, though.

Dunno mate. I'm sure it was in the lead up to an international scotland match and someone was saying he was very anti-english and he kepy saying "But my wife is English, my wife is English!"

Same here mate, im maybe getting mixed up with someone else, but i reckon it was cameron... :)

Dunno mate. I'm sure it was in the lead up to an international scotland match and someone was saying he was very anti-english and he kepy saying "But my wife is English, my wife is English!"

Same here mate, im maybe getting mixed up with someone else, but i reckon it was cameron... :)

Nah your right. I remember that now actually.

Just when I’d got to know Dad again he was snatched away from me

Outspoken Ewen, 37, had hidden his heartache from the thousands of listeners who tune into his popular evening show, which he co-presents with Scotland legend Alan Rough.

But father and son were separated when Ewen Jnr was just 18 months old - and they weren't reunited until 12 years ago.

Devastated Ewen said last night: "Just when I feel like I've got to know my dad and be part of his life again, he's been snatched away from me.

"I feel too numb to cry."

Ewen endured a traumatic childhood growing up in the tough Wester Hailes district of Edinburgh, when his parents split.

His mum, Linda, settled in the Middle East with her new husband, leaving Ewen and his younger brothers Grant and John to be raised by their gran in Scotland.

But when his gran passed away when Ewen was just ten, it left the young brothers virtually homeless.

He said: "We were passed from pillar to post."

Ewen only discovered who his real dad was at the age of 12.

But attempts to track him down proved futile.

He said: "I tried to make contact through the social work department when I was 16, but they had no luck tracking him down."

Family man ... Ewen Snr with his grandchildrenA year later, Ewen joined his mum in the United Arab Emirates, working on a dredger, before breaking into sports reporting.

He went on to be a breakfast DJ for Emirates State Radio for eight years, but at the age of 25 Ewen decided to pull out all the stops to find his dad.

He said: "I woke up one morning and vowed I wouldn't stop searching until I'd found him."

Cameron started by putting out an appeal on the now-defunct radio station Scot FM with controversial DJ Scottie McClue.

That didn't bear any fruit. But he did manage to get in touch through a family member.

He discovered Ewen Snr was living in Falkirk with his new wife Cathy, 60, and their grown-up kids - charity worker Kelly, 31, and fitness trainer Craig.

Recalling their first meeting, Hearts diehard Ewen said: "He turned up in a gorgeous Mercedes and a sharp suit.

"I thought, 'Result - my dad's a millionaire'. I asked him what he did and he said 'I sell brushes'.

"It turned out he was the Betterware manager for Scotland and was a Celtic fan. I don't know what was the bigger shock - discovering I had a brother and sister or that my dad followed the Hoops."

He added: "I was still living in the Middle East at the time so we kept in contact by visiting each other on holiday.

"Over the years we really got to know each other, and be part of each other's lives.

"It made me feel complete having my dad back."

But his heavy smoker dad was blighted by health problems.

Ewen explained: "In 1998 he had his first heart attack before the World Cup in France and was told to cut back on the smoking, which he did for a while."

But eight years later, Ewen Snr was at the World Cup in Germany when he had another major heart attack.

Cameron's half-brother Craig, 27, recalled: "We had been to the Ukraine versus Saudi Arabia game and went out for a few drinks afterwards in Hamburg when Dad took unwell.

"A doctor told me he actually died at one point in hospital.

"But he eventually managed to pull through."

Ewen Snr fell ill again, aged 60, just over two weeks ago and was admitted to Stirling Royal Infirmary.

Radio star Ewen, who lives in Falkirk with wife Teresa and their three sons Liam, ten, Ryan, eight, and ten-month-old Josh, said: "I went to see him at home in Falkirk.

"I knew he was ill and I made him go to the hospital. He went in on the Thursday.

"He had a scan on Saturday and it showed a tumour in his left lung which had spread to his liver.

"But he felt well enough to get out for the Old Firm game on February 28. It was just like old times as we argued about the game.

The next time I got to see him was Wednesday. But in just three days I couldn't believe the rapid deterioration in him.

"He was jaundiced, with yellow eyes from the liver cancer, he had lost weight and had a gaunt face. He couldn't hold a conversation.

"I was so shocked I had to make an excuse to leave for a moment as I was welling up.

"He'd gone from being a proud, funny, articulate, dignified man to this awful state. He just got worse and worse after that."

Ewen admits he's still battling emotions ranging from anger to guilt. He said: "My dad had two health warnings and he never heeded them. We nagged him constantly to stop, but he was under the impression 'it won't happen to me'.

"In a way I think the fact he survived two heart attacks made him think he was invincible.

"Well, he wasn't. But I feel guilty. I should have tried to do more to help him quit smoking."

Ewen says his work at Real Radio helped him get through the traumatic time.

He said: "For those two hours a night when I was on air I could escape my problems.

"I'd laugh and have a good time. Dad loved my show - even though he always sided with Roughie.

"He never once told me to calm down how I am on air. He was stubborn - which is where I get it from. He saw a lot of himself in me.

"But as soon as I came off-air it was back to reality and I'd have to shoot off to catch the end of visiting time at the hospital.

"I was in pain and turmoil watching my dad slowly fade away."

And devastated Ewen insists the images of seeing his dad take his last breath will haunt him forever.

He said: "He fell unconscious at 7.30 on Friday morning - my sister Kelly's 31st birthday.

"His breathing was so laboured, it was tiring watching him.

"He managed to keep going for 17 hours and passed away at 12.30am on Saturday. I'm convinced he held on so he wouldn't die on Kelly's birthday.

"But I wouldn't let my sons see him in hospital. It was too shocking. I wanted them to remember grandad at his best."

Ewen added: "We, as a family, couldn't persuade our own dad to change his lifestyle.

"Hopefully by speaking about this, it will inspire other smokers to change before it's too late."

Merried tae a tim goes tae the phiggery sometimes wae his brother-in-law apparently !

:sherlock:

Good to read the truth for a change.

We're always harping on about (and rightly so) how we get a raw deal from the media. So I'm wondering why there's not a bigger response to this thread. There's even a few slagging him off.

Am I missing something?......apart from the fact he married a tim!!

I remembering him speaking up in our defence in the days following the Manchester debacle.

Good to read the truth for a change.

We're always harping on about (and rightly so) how we get a raw deal from the media. So I'm wondering why there's not a bigger response to this thread. There's even a few slagging him off.

Am I missing something?......apart from the fact he married a tim!!

I remembering him speaking up in our defence in the days following the Manchester debacle.

Nope, that about sums up the argument from the people slagging him off.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1317588_huge_security_clampdown_for_united_v_rangers_champions_league_match

Contrast it to this, i genuinely think UEFA should be looking at these comments from a city hosting one of there games. Ridiculous.

Reading some of the comments below the article many of them are critical of the authorities down there for what happened, a few ill informed ones as well but on the whole we arent getting slaughtered. I've said it before and I'll say it again, its a disgrace that those who represented the club so well are having to pay the price for the incompetency of the Manchester authorities and the actions of morons who wouldnt normally be at a European away game or indeed possibly even Ibrox. Camerons article is spot on as well though and correct when he says there is an agenda against us by those in the media.

Concerning camerons article, before we all start sucking his dick, he will be writing this for one reason, to make a name for himself not because he cares about Rangers.....

That is what motivates most journalists. The points he makes are valid and needed to be said so it matters not that what the reasons are.

At least it's out there.

Just to confirm to eveyone, Ewan Cameron's wife is English.

There was a recent debate about the status of players who could/should play for Scotland i.e. Andrew Driver because he was educated here.

Ewan said that as he was Scottish his kids could play for Scotland, even though they were bord in Dubai. He then joked that his wife would always wind him up by reminding him they could also play for Egnland because she was English.