Fans praised by all and sundry.

Poetry_In_Blue

I know there have been complaints in the press and on this forum about the security that was put in place for last nights game and even though many may not have been happy about it, irrespective the fans who were there have been highly praised for their behaviour.

RANGERS Chief Executive Martin Bain today led widespread praise for Rangers fans who travelled to Manchester for last night's UEFA Champions League match.

The contribution of the 3800 supporters to a successful night for the club was also recognised by police in Manchester and staff at the DW Stadium in Wigan where fans congregated before the match.

Bain said: "Our fans knew there was a lot at stake off the pitch as well as on it and their response was tremendous.

"They created a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere at the DW stadium and went on to support the team brilliantly at Old Trafford.

"On behalf of the club I would like to thank all the fans who travelled and made it a very enjoyable trip.

"We have had really positive feedback from the Greater Manchester Police, The DW Stadium and retailers around Wigan's ground.

"I would also like to thank Greater Manchester Police and Strathclyde Police who worked very closely with us to ensure that our supporters' visit to Manchester was a success.

"There was a lot of preparation that went into our return to Manchester and everyone was committed to ensuring things went well, nobody more so than the supporters themselves.

"Going to Wigan did cause a degree of inconvenience for fans but they really responded well and worked with us through the supporters' groups. They made the best of going to Wigan and enjoyed the facilities that were laid on for them."

Greater Manchester Police Assistant Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said: "We had a considered plan to work with both clubs and it has worked well. The night has shown the fans in a really good light.

"The supporters responded positively and many of them complemented GMP and the clubs on the handling of the operation.

"Given the limited number of arrests for fairly minor offences it reiterates the fact that most acted responsibly and are genuine fans.

"Clearly, people heeded our advice not to travel without tickets and, as a result, Manchester city centre was very quiet - one of the aims of our operation."

Ray Johnston, DW Stadium Safety Officer added: "The Rangers fans were absolutely tremendous. I was involved in 2003 when we had fans here as well and again there were no problems.

"The supporters had a great rapport with the stewards at the stadium and made the most of the facilities on offer around the ground.

"I had no concerns in the build up because I had dealt with Rangers supporters before and I had lengthy discussions with my counterpart at Ibrox and was assured there would be no issues.

"That was certainly the case, and the police officers who were in attendance were of the same opinion. There was a lot made in the build up to the game about potential issues but it wasn't a concern for us.

"That Rangers fans are welcome here any time in the future, because we had a superb reaction from those who travelled."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100915/fans-praised-after-manchester-visit_2254024_2154515

Was a fantastic trip. Common sense proveiled. The tunes were played on the bus, the booze flowed. To quote a certain person "Its £3 a pint down at Wigan, am no meant to let you back on the bus if use are right drunk, don't worry everyone will be getting back on ma bus and then we will Sash it up all the way to Manchester" :D

Was superb, the arrival at old trafford on coach 3 was electric, was brilliant. Walking up to the strairs to the away section was mad, whole place was rumbling, not heard anything like it.

Wigan was also superb, great function and a great sing song in the east stand. "what a shitey home support!!!" haha.

Anyone else see alan carr? :)