Managers Mail

BLUEDIGNITY

High As A Kite

IT goes without saying we were extremely pleased to come away from our Champions League game against Manchester United with a point on Tuesday.

Our players put a lot of hard work into the match and showed great concentration so I felt pleased for them that they managed to get a draw.

We weren't proud of the tactics we used but we had no other option because clubs from smaller countries find it hard to compete now because of finances.

UEFA have allowed that situation to develop and I feel that's wrong. We simply had to find a way to nullify our opposition and we did that very well.

What I am proud of is the way my players played. We weren't very tidy in possession at times but we managed to limit United to long-range shots.

Now our attentions turn back to the SPL and we are looking to take the high of drawing at Old Trafford into Saturday's game against Dundee United.

They are a side that finally got their first win of the season against Aberdeen at the weekend and they will look to build on that themselves.

We have had some hard-fought games with my old club since we returned to the club and I'd expect this one to be a tight affair as well.

The players are currently taking a couple of days off after their exertions in England and I hope that allows them to freshen up.

We've got a hectic schedule at present and as well as working hard on the training ground, we must ensure everyone has sufficient rest too.

That's especially the case with the small squad we have and at the weekend there could be an opportunity for some of those who didn't play in midweek to get some action.

James Beattie needs to get minutes under his belt while Nikica Jelavic is available again and Vladimir Weiss will want to be involved.

They will all be considered and with Andy Webster and John Fleck back in the picture again, it's pleasing I have a fully-fit pool with plenty of options to turn to.

Walter Smith

:sherlock: