Naismith vs Lafferty

BeautifulSeas

I was just in the "Champions v Dundee United thread" and was putting my preferred team in there. For me, Weiss is a certainty which leaves a wide position out on the left (probably, but maybe right).

On recent form, Naismith would seem a more obvious choice as he has been great but...I don't know, I feel that Naismith is performing above his natural ability level at the moment, and I'm almost waiting for the drop in form. Lafferty on the other hand is the opposite. He does some great things (and I'm one of his biggest fans on here) but I feel he is under performing and capable of so much more. I ended up picking Lafferty because I believe he will come good (I know, I know, how long can we keep saying that for)...I'm not just thinking about today's game, going forward as well...

What says you?!? For those that think Naisy, would you agree his is maybe performing above his level, and Lafferty is under achieving but capable of more?

I think Lafferty just genuinely doesnt have a footballing brain, he has the attributes to be good but just lacks the mentality to be consistent.

Hes a good player when running at defences but unless he learns how to play the game then he wont achieve anything in his career, which is a shame cos i like him and think he has potential.

Just said this in the other thread too. Really difficult one. Personally, I'd put Lafferty ahead of Naismith today just because I think he can give us a bit more pace down the left and seems to be more able at beating a full-back than Stevie.

i'd have wylde in, just can't take to lafferty or naismith.

Although that wasn't really the point of my thread (i.e. is Lafferty a perennial under performer and is Naisy over achieving?), I'm inclined to agree with your comment. Maybe he (or even Fleck when he is fit) could be the answer...which leaves Lafferty and Naismith out in the cold.

Although that wasn't really the point of my thread (i.e. is Lafferty a perennial under performer and is Naisy over achieving?), I'm inclined to agree with your comment. Maybe he (or even Fleck when he is fit) could be the answer...which leaves Lafferty and Naismith out in the cold.

The thing is, I'd have Wylde out left before Fleck. Fleck is not a winger. It will be really difficult for him to find a place back in the team once he's recovered from his injury.

The thing is, I'd have Wylde out left before Fleck. Fleck is not a winger. It will be really difficult for him to find a place back in the team once he's recovered from his injury.

I can't see us being afforded the luxury of having a player who causes havoc behind the front two. I think he will suffer in the same way that Joe Cole has in some ways. It's pretty hard to define a natural position for him, especially in a 4-4-2.

I can't see us being afforded the luxury of having a player who causes havoc behind the front two. I think he will suffer in the same way that Joe Cole has in some ways. It's pretty hard to define a natural position for him, especially in a 4-4-2.

Yeah very true. It will be interesting to see how well he develops now after such high expectations - it seems to have just gotten more difficult.

How the hell is Naismith performing above his level? Naismith had great potential at Killie and was the hottest prospect in Scotland around the time we bought him. Arsene Wenger took him on trial and obviously rated him very highly but unfortunately he wasn't as good as what Wenger had.

If Arsene Wenger rates him highly then Sir Alex ferguson comes out last week and says we are a better team now Naismith is in there that says it all for me. Lafferty has done nothing to suggest he has great ability.

people have gone on about naismith being better this season, i just don't see it. The only players that have had decent games in midfield in the league games are Lee and Weiss.

I see him like a broadfoot of our midfield and i wish he could stay on his feet for at least 20 seconds.

Lafferty tends to make 1 or 2 good runs in a game then nothing else.

How the hell is Naismith performing above his level? Naismith had great potential at Killie and was the hottest prospect in Scotland around the time wqe bought him. Arsene Wenger took him on trial and obviosuly rated him very highly but unfortunately he wasn't as good as what Wenger had.

If Arsene Wenger rates him highly then Sir Alex ferguson comes out last week and says we are a better team now Naismith is in there that says it all for me. Lafferty has done nothing to suggest he has great ability.

He is no longer a hot prospect in Scottish football. Unfortunate injury problems are the cause of this, and its fair to say he's performing above his level in the aspect that he hasn't had a run of form as good as this as of now. If he keeps up his performances, then finally he's reached his potential. Walter can't just play him based on opinions of other managers, he's the one who sees him in training everyday.

Lafferty is one of the most inconsistent Rangers players I've ever seen, not to mention his attitude, but for now I'd play him ahead of Naismith.

When i was at the game on Tuesday i thought Naismith was motm by a distance, noticed on here more people thought broadfoot etc, dont know why but most people around me at the game thought Naismith was outstanding.

Hes been very much a bit park player since he signed, has had a great start to the season, best player vs Hibs, Killie and Man United IMO, so now he has finally had a good run and startin to pick up the form we all thought he would have people are talking about dropping him. madness.

Even if he has a howler today ad still have him in my team before Lafferty, who has a howler everytime i watch him.

The idea that Weiss is a nailed on first pick is down to hope, rather than realism

I'd be shocked if he starts 20 games this season

Why? He's our only natural winger and he's proved his talent at the World Cup with Slovakia, and in other international appearances. Not to mention how highly he's rated at Manchester City!

Why? He's our only natural winger and he's proved his talent at the World Cup with Slovakia, and in other international appearances. Not to mention how highly he's rated at Manchester City!

Because Walter will not pick someone like Weiss in tight games

We all know he should be starting every week but it won't happen with Walter in charge

We all know he should be starting every week but it won't happen with Walter in charge

Scary, but true I fear. I think that he views players such as Weiss as a luxury rather than a necessity.

We'll see come the games against Valencia (or maybe even Bursaspor?) and the first Old Firm game.

We'll see come the games against Valencia (or maybe even Bursaspor?) and the first Old Firm game.

I don't expect him to start in any of those games tbh

Whilst he'll not be as ostracised as Aaron Niguez, i reckon he'll feature much like Novo did (about 15 starts plus about 25 sub appearances)