Naismith vs Lafferty

BeautifulSeas

You say Naismith is performing beyond what you think he is capable of, yet you want to drop him?

That's my point. I find it hard to believe that in the "next game" he will continue to perform to that level. With Lafferty, I just see some of the things he does and think "wow, that's skilful, but why the fuck don't you do it more consistently". He frustrates the hell out of me, but I see a player in there somewhere.

With Naisy, maybe he is suffering (as many players have in recent years have) from not having a run in one position to make a real stand for that position. I mean where is he trying to get in nowadays?? Up front? Left mid? Right mid? Centre mid? Yes he has performed well in most of those but as he isn't playing in them on a consistent basis, he isn't staking a claim for any of them, imo.

I don't expect him to start in any of those games tbh

Whilst he'll not be as ostracised as Aaron Niguez, i reckon he'll feature much like Novo did (about 15 starts plus about 25 sub appearances)

I think he's got more of a chance starting in Europe than against Celtic away.

Tough? Is it fuck. Naismith (despite the fact he shouldn't be playing on the wing either) is far better out on the wing than Lafferty.

Lafferty should not play on the wing at all and should only be used upfront. £4 million for a 4th choice striker is fucking ridiculous, but meh, he can't play anywhere else.

He is no longer a hot prospect in Scottish football. Unfortunate injury problems are the cause of this, and its fair to say he's performing above his level in the aspect that he hasn't had a run of form as good as this as of now. If he keeps up his performances, then finally he's reached his potential. Walter can't just play him based on opinions of other managers, he's the one who sees him in training everyday.

Lafferty is one of the most inconsistent Rangers players I've ever seen, not to mention his attitude, but for now I'd play him ahead of Naismith.

How is he performing above his level? You said he has had injuries which have stopped his progress thus resulting in him not reaching his true potential. Now he is reaching a great level of performance and playing injury free, people are saying he is performing above his level?

You are all off your head. I can't honestly believe people would pick Lafferty ahead of Naismith after the level Naisy has been performing at. He is not outdoing himself, he is simply finally playing at the level we believed he could when we bought him.

Anyway at Rangers all players should be making the effort to perform above their so called "level". Lafferty doesn't do this and to be honest it really shouldn't be hard for him to perform above his level of ability, which in my opinion is very low.

I really feel that Naismith and Lafferty are in the main both headless chicken types. Lafferty every now and again produces a goal or something, whereas Naismith to me very seldom has any end product. I would have both generally on the bench. I would start Weiss before them, still to see Kerkar, or give Wylde a shot.

We simply cannot rely on either of them although we get an odd flash once in a while. Both give the ball away. Neither can tackle. Both fall over. Naismith can head a ball better than Lafferty. Naismith lacks pace too.

To the OP.

You always play your players that are on form. Naismith is. And who's to say that his level is not where it should be? If he is capable of playing at his curren level, the he is clearly capable no? Weak argument for Lafferty.

(tu)

Naismith for me by a distance. (tu)

I honestly think he has more to offer than KL and given a decent amount of first team action I think he can become a key player in the team.

Someone made a good point in regards to KL. Kyle doesn't seem to have the football brain required to play at a massive club like The Rangers. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong btw. (tu)

I really feel that Naismith and Lafferty are in the main both headless chicken types. Lafferty every now and again produces a goal or something, whereas Naismith to me very seldom has any end product. I would have both generally on the bench. I would start Weiss before them, still to see Kerkar, or give Wylde a shot.

We simply cannot rely on either of them although we get an odd flash once in a while. Both give the ball away. Neither can tackle. Both fall over. Naismith can head a ball better than Lafferty. Naismith lacks pace too.

Great analysis! (tu)

Kyle Lafferty should be nowhere near ther Rangers team. Steven Naismith has performed this season, so should be ahead of Lafferty every day of the week.

No doubt Lafferty will start at Pittodrie next weekend.

What a ridiculous way to manage a player that would be! How can you drop him based on a performance he hasn't put in, in a game that hasn't been played?!

That's why I'm not Manager :)

In all seriousness, it wouldn't be dropping for a performance that he hasn't yet put in, it would be dropping him because I think there are better players at the club for left midfield (and right midfield, centre midfield and up front for that matter - all of the positions he has played in), despite the fact he has performed well in most of those. I know it probably won't happen, not under WS anyway or with financial restrictions, but he needs to try and establish himself in one position and make it his own, not fitting in anywhere. If that continues, I can never see him being more than a squad player.