Bill Bailey

mortos

i went to see Bill Bailey at the weekend. He started off by congratulated us all on making it through the secular deadlands to get to the show, :lol:

he then rounded on the pope in his usual wimsey way, but with a rare snarl; attacking him over paedophilia :clap:

his next topic was congratulating Barack Obama on his book 'The Audacity of Hope' (tu) , comparing it to the less hopeful attitudes in the UK.

He then joined the 2 together with the punchline 'The Audacity of Pope' :lol:

He's much funnier than Bill Hicks, and I used to worship the man. Hicks was always more of a ranter than a comedian.

Channel 4 views had them both very high in the 100 greatest standups

Here are the full results from The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups 2010...

1. Billy Connolly

2. Richard Pryor

3. Ricky Gervais

4. Bill Hicks

5. Eddie Izzard

6. Peter Kay

7. Bill Bailey

8. Chris Rock

9. Michael McIntyre

10. Victoria Wood

Come on man. Bill Bailey writes comedic little songs and talks about elves. Mr Hicks tore apart the bullshit the world stands on in the rawest and funniest form anyone has ever done political/religious comedy. IMHO of course.

Hicks was actually a far better comedian than most people, or he himself, gave him credit for. Underneath all the political ranting he had brilliant technique. Apparently he was always more into Woody Allen than Lenny Bruce. It's just a shame that over time he became more interested in making people think than in making them laugh, and became more Bruce than Allen. I admire the passion of the man but his material becomes a bit trying once you've heard the same anti-government stuff over and over and over. He was great but he hardly ever makes me laugh. Bill Bailey is also naturally funny and also actually remembers to be so when he's on stage.

Hicks was actually a far better comedian than most people, or he himself, gave him credit for. Underneath all the political ranting he had brilliant technique. Apparently he was always more into Woody Allen than Lenny Bruce. It's just a shame that over time he became more interested in making people think than in making them laugh, and became more Bruce than Allen. I admire the passion of the man but his material becomes a bit trying once you've heard the same anti-government stuff over and over and over. He was great but he hardly ever makes me laugh. Bill Bailey is also naturally funny and also actually remembers to be so when he's on stage.

Hick's book - American Scream - is a great read!