Is Burke that bad?

Boab

In today's game, Gary Teale was replaced by Scott Brown who is played out of position instead of our Chris Burke, who would be the natural replacement, does that make Burke that bad?

They're different players though, no? Brown is an engine room, beavering about. Burke is a pure winger. Is it a fair comparison?

that is a fair comparison brown gives you more drive and burke is a player who likes to beat men and whip in crosses.

They're different players though, no? Brown is an engine room, beavering about. Burke is a pure winger. Is it a fair comparison?

that is a fair comparison brown gives you more drive and burke is a player who likes to beat men and whip in crosses.

Only problem is he cannot cross the ball or certainly not into danger areas.

your right but i did not want to be cruel to burke but his crossing is poor.

Although I don't think Burke is the worst, I will say it is all one beating men and getting into dangerous positions, but ultimately you have to make it count, and Burke rarely does.

Spot on.

As a winger, he should be beating the full back and putting decent crosses in. He doesnt do this enough, if at all sometimes.

Brown did really well when he came on and I hope Walter goes for him in the Summer.

With Burke, McCleish couldn't have used him in todays situation because he wasn't on the bench. He maybe just felt that Teal had tired, he needed to change him, looked to the bench and saw Brown as the best man at hand.

This doesn't mean he would've picked Brown over Burke had they both been there.

The fact that Burke had been carrying an injury all week and Brown was fit, Might have something to do with it.

Also we needed someone in the team who was going to fight, track back, put in tackles and give us an edge in Midfield.

And when Brown came on we played a lot narrower in Midfield and allowed the full backs to bomb down the line and use the space.

Brown was the correct choice, But Burke will get his chance soon enough.

I dont rate Burke - yes there is potential but he is a long way off being a good player. Just now he is too lightweight, tends to beat a player and then give the ball away and is final ball is poor quite often

dont think you can really compare brown and burke as they are 2very different players. One thing i will say about brown is that hes more consistant than burkey. Against hapoel tel aviv burke was outstand but hasnt had a good game since then. If he cant be consistant then i think we should sell him.

In today's game, Gary Teale was replaced by Scott Brown who is played out of position instead of our Chris Burke, who would be the natural replacement, does that make Burke that bad?

I think I've said this before and I'll say it again. Burke is a far more dangerous player when he comes inside. As a winger he can't cross the ball which is a bit of an issue. Running through the middle from the right or left (old fashioned inside forward - yay) is more his thing and suits his style of play far better than being stuck out on the wing imho. A central defenders worst nightmare is a player running at them, at pace and more often or not will result in a free kick or a gaps appearing everywhere.

just my tuppence worth.

he does cross it in to danger areas.

row z is a pretty dangerous place

he does cross it in to danger areas.

row z is a pretty dangerous place

Thats where the bigot are (tu)

Don't rate Burke at all - too injury prone, too inconsistent and totally overrated.

And what's this about 'potential' :o ? Chris Burke is now 24 and a full International, he's all the player he's going to be.

Buffel and Papac are only a year or two older than CB and no-one's saying that they've still got 'potential' :rolleyes: .

Burke attracted no offers during the last transfer window and there's a reason why.

Burke has to get it right pretty soon. He's now overpaid, over-injured, overrated and NOT overworked.

He looked great vs Japan in Japan, but when has he ever shown such form since?

We should have held out in the contract negotiations. No-one else would have paid so much.