Steven Davis - Best CM in Scotland!

Amac9

I am Steven Davis' biggest fan but I have given him stick for his start to the season as he had been very poor up until the Dundee Utd game last week but today he showed why he is head and shoulders above every other midfield player in Scotland.

He had a decent enough first half but in the second half he was getting on the ball, set the tempo of the game, kept driving us forward and dominated the midfield area alongside McCulloch. I also think it is no coincidence that he plays well in CM when he has Lee McCulloch beside him, which IMO is our best CM pairing for the SPL. McCulloch is the man who sits, breaks up play, keeps it simple and allows Davis to get on the ball and create. Edu is not as good at doing those things and when he plays with Davis at CM we look poor in the middle of the park and often get overrun.

Hopefully his injury is not too serious because we will need him on top form and performances like that today justifies he is a much better CM.

I honestly think he was pretty useless other than setting up Miller's goal. Thought McCulloch got forward a lot today which is something he doesn't usually do, he's the best cm in Scotland for me. *awaits the angry mob*

anyone who doesn't think davis isn't the best midfielder in scotland is having a laugh. as for so called rangers fans having a go at him this season for his performances. he's been back to his best in the last couple of games, just like he's played for the past couple of seasons. our midfield would be lost without him.

People need to get used to him playing in CM.

He's going to have to spend more time tracking back and defending, more than he did when playing on the right.

Some of his running, passing and overall vision today was superb!

anyone who doesn't think davis isn't the best midfielder in scotland is having a laugh. as for so called rangers fans having a go at him this season for his performances. he's been back to his best in the last couple of games, just like he's played for the past couple of seasons. our midfield would be lost without him.

:lol:

Who's having a go at him ? is he supposed to avoid criticism, criticism that the rest of the team take just because he's Steven Davis ?

His pass for Miller's second goal was brilliant.

Paul Scholes does that every week and the commentator's cream themselves over it but when Davis does it he gets about 5 seconds of credit and then bad defending is blamed for the goal.

no he is not immune to criticism, however people need to look at the guys overall contribution to the team rather than a couple of bad games. :rolleyes:

Agree'd they should look at his overall contribution and not just one good pass that set up a goal and then suddenly ignore the fact he's hardly kicked a ball this season.

I thought he had a good game today, and its hard to dispute he is the best CM in Scotland as, well the competition is pretty poor there (except for Messi McCulloch) BUT as good as he is there he seems to me more effective on the right and more comfortable there but tbh right or cm he is a stand out for first name on the team sheet for midfield.

Paul Scholes does that every week and the commentator's cream themselves over it but when Davis does it he gets about 5 seconds of credit and then bad defending is blamed for the goal.

You need to give Naismith most of the credit for first winning the ball and then putting Davis away with a great pass.Thereafter Steve did great as did Kenny with the finish.My honest opinion of Davis today was that in the first half he was anonymous.The game seemed to be passing him by as the midfield was packed and the sheep had players getting to him as soon as he got the ball.In the second half he got more room and was excellent.Based on this season I think he does more damage on the right than he does in central midfield.Maybe its a lack of physical presence as sometimes I think he gets a bit bullied by lesser players.Just my opinion.

I don't think Davis' physique is a problem tbh. Especially when he has McCulloch with him to do the battling and dirty work. The problem is that at times he does not see enough of the ball because David Weir obliges to boot the ball 70 yards up the park or give it away to the opposition.

He is more than capable of doing a good job on the right as he has shown over the past 2 years but IMO he is a bettr CM player and it is something I have been saying for a while.

I don't think Davis' physique is a problem tbh. Especially when he has McCulloch with him to do the battling and dirty work. The problem is that at times he does not see enough of the ball because David Weir obliges to boot the ball 70 yards up the park or give it away to the opposition.

He is more than capable of doing a good job on the right as he has shown over the past 2 years but IMO he is a bettr CM player and it is something I have been saying for a while.

Agree with you on big Davie with his attempts at world class defence splitting passes.90% of the time they hit an opposition player and we lose possession but I am not going to criticise him, What he does in defence is the best in Scotland and if I did have a wish it would be that he looks for the short pass to midfield.As for Steve,one of the problems I see is that if we move him to RM then who is going to play CM in his place.Not Edu in my opinion.In fact he dissappoints me a little.By now he should be starting to show more command in the midfield but he doesnt.McCulloch has far more presence and despite all the criticism he gets for his shortcomings he has been immense for me last year and this year so far.2nd half today he was again in the thick of it breaking up play and generally making some pretty good passes.Maybe they should give Kyle Hutton a wee run at CM or at least bring him off the bench into the position when we are comfortable.

Agree'd they should look at his overall contribution and not just one good pass that set up a goal and then suddenly ignore the fact he's hardly kicked a ball this season.

so he's suddenly a bad player because he's had a couple of bad games? thank fuck you don't sit beside me at ibrox if thats yer take when a player has a couple of bad performances. BACK THE TEAM

so he's suddenly a bad player because he's had a couple of bad games? thank fuck you don't sit beside me at ibrox if thats yer take when a player has a couple of bad performances. BACK THE TEAM

Where did I say he was a bad player ?

Paul Scholes passes have to cut open harder defences than Aberdeen though.

Until today Davis was arguably our worst player so far this season. Went on about wanting to play CM and when he gets the chance he has been inconspicuous. Had a good game today though.

all i'm saying is people are too quick to criticise a guy for a couple of poor games instead of looking at his overall performances for the club. i could understand the criticism if he was playing poor for maybe 7/8 games on the trot but the guy has only played maybe 4 bad games in the start of the season, now looking back to his best