What do you think of the Champions League formation?

bluenose_72

The formation we play is the only way we can actually get points against the likes of Valencia, man utd etc who have got bags loads of cash to spend on talent that's, well, lets face it, better than our current squads. Long may it continue.

It certainly has been effective in the first 2 games but surely we can't depend on being a one trick pony for the duration of the campaign?

It is certainly difficult for teams to break us down but its only a matter of time before they do and what then ? I'd like to think that Walter wasn't going to be this predictable in every game because to live up to his tactical genius reputation he's going to have to have an alternative sooner or later.

I have nothing but praise for the way our team defends and the discipline the retain but the reality is we don't have to be defending that much. We could cut perhaps 20% of the time spent defending around our box by deploying a 'Weiss' type player who would then force the opposition deeper into their own half with the threat of his pace and creativity.

I understand Walters methods and can't argue with the success so far but we encourage the opposition to attack us more than any other team I know and I just think we could be a wee bit more adventurous than we have to date without compromising the solidity of the unit.

I think it's a good idea, I do think we can afford to have 1 more attack minded player on the field though, as long as they are willing to defend. just seems a bit 1 dimentional, not complaining though.

I think we will see the same system and players in every CL game unless we go down a goal

It certainly has been effective in the first 2 games but surely we can't depend on being a one trick pony for the duration of the campaign?

It is certainly difficult for teams to break us down but its only a matter of time before they do and what then ? I'd like to think that Walter wasn't going to be this predictable in every game because to live up to his tactical genius reputation he's going to have to have an alternative sooner or later.

I have nothing but praise for the way our team defends and the discipline the retain but the reality is we don't have to be defending that much. We could cut perhaps 20% of the time spent defending around our box by deploying a 'Weiss' type player who would then force the opposition deeper into their own half with the threat of his pace and creativity.

I understand Walters methods and can't argue with the success so far but we encourage the opposition to attack us more than any other team I know and I just think we could be a wee bit more adventurous than we have to date without compromising the solidity of the unit.

Didn't we have a one trick pony type of formation when we got to the UEFA cup final?

Very hard to break down and it suits our personnel (the ones available for the Champions League anyway).

Any complaints about it after the start we've had would be very churlish.

I really dont like how much im agreeing with you these days, its almost sickening.

I think it would depend when we go a goal behind and the importance of the match?

Any match I suppose PiB.

Unless Walter sees a 1-0 defeat as a half decent result away to Valencia or at home to ManYoo....

Sorry I should have been a bit more detailed with my response, I meant if we had already qualified from the group stage, or if not already guaranteed 3rd spot.

Saying that, if we were already in that situation I would like to see a more adventurous line up anyway and have some fun.

My main concern with the formation is what happens when we go a goal behind.

It hasn't happened yet, but it might....

That's when we find out if we have a plan"B" or if Walter has the confidence of putting on Weiss immediately we go behind.

The system we are playing is more productive when we go in front, but very fragile when we go behind, so it will be interesting to see the outcome if and when it occurs.

Any match I suppose PiB.

Unless Walter sees a 1-0 defeat as a half decent result away to Valencia or at home to ManYoo....

The thing with this formation is that it can easily change even with the same personnel.

McGregor

Whittaker Bougherra Weir Papac Broadfoot

Davis McCulloch Edu

Naismith

Miller

Can easily change into -

McGregor

Broadfoot Bougherra Weir Papac

Davis McCulloch Edu Whittaker

Naismith Miller

But like you mentioned, it will be interesting to see what Walter does if we go 1-0 behind....

My main concern with the formation is what happens when we go a goal behind.

It hasn't happened yet, but it might....

walter will try to keep it tight and hope it stays 1-0 until around the 75-80th minute before going to a 4-4-2.

Didn't we have a one trick pony type of formation when we got to the UEFA cup final?

We can't rely upon past strategies, yes it worked then but we must prepare for the current opposition and circumstances as well as the fact that these are not 2 legged ties. We have different players and are playing against a higher calibre of opposition and sooner or later the tactic will fail.

As someone else already posted - What happens if we go a goal behind ? I'll tell you what happens - we struggle big time. I can understand the formation and tactics but just think certain personnel could be altered IE - Weiss for Broadfoot.

Changing into the team that went to the Uefa final, a defensive one.

I am happy with the results that we have got so far. I dont think 5 at the back at home aginst the turkish team (I cant remember their name) was too neccessary. Maybe in the first half when we really didnt know who the team were and what they were capable of. But in the second half we could have been more attacking to extend our lead.

but hey, Im not a manager Walter Smith is and he has done a great job. It dosnt matter if we win 1-0 in the 93rd minute or win 7-0 it is still 3 points on the table.