Robert Pires, suggestion.

1st_Jan_1994

Well im asking for a direct quote, proof that we have a cap. I will believe it when i see it. Walter has said we offered Boyd as much as we could, but made no reference to wage caps, i took what he said to be Boyd was not worth more than he wanted.

I hope what I've quoted below from two different articles is good enough for you, as I said we don't actually know what our limits are, but there is definitely a limit we will go to.

The most interesting one is what Boyd was apparently offered!

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston today stressed the Ibrox club will not be held to ransom by the wage demands of top players.

Johnston has admitted he would be happy to give on-form Gers striker Kenny Miller whatever terms he is looking for.

Miller, who has scored eight goals this season, is out of contract at the end of the season and is in talks with the Scottish champions about a new deal.

However, Rangers supremo Johnston, who has revealed the Glasgow club has reduced its debts by nearly £4million, also stressed the club must continue to operate within its means. He said: “As a fan, I would do it (give Miller a new deal) in a millisecond. As chairman, I have to look to the consequences of any decision in two or three years’ time.

“I don’t want to commit all the budget we may have for player manoeuvrings when we might have a much more critical reason for needing that money three years from now.

“The way Miller, Allan McGregor, Sasa Papac and others are playing is terrific, nobody could be happier than the Rangers board and the Rangers executive team.

“But we do have to put it all in proper perspective. As a fan I’d do it in a second, but we have to stand by our decisions and live with the consequences.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/rangers-warning-over-star-deals-1.1057101

Q: Are you close to making any signings at this stage?

A: No. At this stage we are not close to completing anything. But we did offer nearly £2million to Burnley for Chris Eagles. I just wasn't prepared to bow to those kind of wage demands. But that was proof we do have money and we are active in the market.

Q: But the fans won't look at Wilson's sale in isolation. They look at the loss of Novo, Boyd and Thomson and they see a trend developing?

A: Boyd was offered £18,000 a week and £4000 a game. He knocked it back.

Would other people sitting in my shoes have given in to his demands and paid him more? I'm not so sure they would have.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100722/martin-bain-qa_2254024_2099457

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Smith's exact words were "we offered him as much as we can" not "as much as we think he's worth"

Personally, that confirms it.

I thought it was common knowledge we had a wage cap in place for the past few years? it's guess work how much the limit is. I've been told from people it's around 17-19 grand a week, basic. Martin Bain in that interview said he offered Boyd 19 grand a week but with appearance and win bonus then most weeks he'd be taking home 24 grand a week.

That was his exact words in that interview he did.

Not for me. No chance, it was clear Rangers did not rate Boyd as highly as his Celtic supporting agent did.

I hope what I've quoted below from two different articles is good enough for you, as I said we don't actually know what our limits are, but there is definitely a limit we will go to.

The most interesting one is what Boyd was apparently offered!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/rangers-warning-over-star-deals-1.1057101

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100722/martin-bain-qa_2254024_2099457

Thanks for that, but its nothing i didnt already know, obviously we wont pay players what we dont think they are worth. That is common sense. And living within our means is something we have been doing and should have been doing for years. Again, that is common sense. Looks like we wont pay anyone more than 20 - 25k a week, that could mean we are likely to lose Bougherra and Davis who will undoubtedly be offered much more to move when their deals are up. Maybe we should sell when their value is at its highest. Ive already said as well, we dont need to pay players 30 - 40k a week to win trophies here, what we have is good enough and what we look like were doing is good practice, so far.

In saying all that, i think for the money we bring as a club, we should be able to afford 1 or 2 players on around 30k a week, class acts to be the difference in Europe.

Thanks again PIB and 1stJan, certainly cleared it up a bit.

Would be a backward move by us, we need to start trusting our younger players to break through not hold them up for yet another year.

Disagree strongly. If there's a player like him I'd have him over a youngster any time. You play the strongest team, not some lad that (in all fairness) will probably end up playing for Dunfermline and moving back and forth to teams like Airdrie and Ross County for the rest of their career.

Disagree strongly. If there's a player like him I'd have him over a youngster any time. You play the strongest team, not some lad that (in all fairness) will probably end up playing for Dunfermline and moving back and forth to teams like Airdrie and Ross County for the rest of their career.

We bring him in he takes up a space on the bench, he plays he holds up the development of Naismith or John Fleck who is on the verge of clinching a 1st team spot.

We need to stop with these quick fixes, it's time to blood these youngsters not hold them back.

If that's you're opinion on our youth set up, that they will end up at Dunfermline etc, then they are really no point in our youth programme and it should be scrapped for countless shorterm fixes like Pires.

We bring him in he takes up a space on the bench, he plays he holds up the development of Naismith or John Fleck who is on the verge of clinching a 1st team spot.

We need to stop with these quick fixes, it's time to blood these youngsters not hold them back.

If that's you're opinion on our youth set up, that they will end up at Dunfermline etc, then they are really no point in our youth programme and it should be scrapped for countless shorterm fixes like Pires.

I appreciate your point of view, but passing up on someone like Pires just in the hope that one of the kids on our books will be the exception to the decade long trend in regard to a kids development is crazy, in my opinion.

I appreciate your point of view, but passing up on someone like Pires just in the hope that one of the kids on our books will be the exception to the decade long trend in regard to a kids development is crazy, in my opinion.

It's not hoping though, playing a youngster coming through like Hutton, Wylde etc holds less risk than Pires, who is at a age where he has nothing more to prove and one injury away from retiring.

We have had countless of these types of players in the past just wanting to pick up one last cheque, give the boys a chance they'll work for there money, and the benefits of a return later down the line will benefit us on and off the park.

Look at Danny Wilson for a example, so many was wanting us to bring in somebody or stick McCulloch at centre back Permanently before giving him a chance.

Yes he left, but the money we got for him helped us in the short-term and in the longrun. That's the model we have to go down.

Again, I see your point but I'm shallow and a bit ignorant because I will look at Pires and look at Wylde and then come to the conclusion that Pires would win us a game/do something that in all fairness to Wylde (he's one of the few kids I rate) just can't do/will never to be able to do.

It's not hoping though, playing a youngster coming through like Hutton, Wylde etc holds less risk than Pires, who is at a age where he has nothing more to prove and one injury away from retiring.

We have had countless of these types of players in the past just wanting to pick up one last cheque, give the boys a chance they'll work for there money, and the benefits of a return later down the line will benefit us on and off the park.

Look at Danny Wilson for a example, so many was wanting us to bring in somebody or stick McCulloch at centre back Permanently before giving him a chance.

Yes he left, but the money we got for him helped us in the short-term and in the longrun. That's the model we have to go down.

I agree with your thinking but sometimes I think we,the fans,are our own worst enemy.The demands for success and to win every game make it difficult to blood the youngsters but if we dont then how will they develop. I would like to see us in games where we are sitting with a comfortable lead or in some of our home games to give those knocking on the door a chance e.g. Whittaker blows hot and cold so why not give Andy Little a chance at RB.I am sure there are other better examples but my point is that there are games where blooding a few is not such a big risk.