***Czech Republic Vs Scotland***

Thommo

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it: Levein was way out of his depth in the championship and was no better at Dundee Utd than most of the previous managers who have been sacked at that club since Jim McLean stepped out of the job.

His tactical belief that a team could get a result inviting constant attack without an option of any outball whatsoever shows his worth as a manager in a role beyond his capabilities.

The tactical failure against Lithuania and his vocal regret at trying to attack at home against these giants of world football Lichtenstein cannot inspire any form of confidence among the players in the squad who have experience of being winners and perform like winners in successful teams at club level.

Despite the admiration he seems to attract from so many and although he excels at talking the talk he still has to show he is anything other than a small time small team manager.

I'm not going to read 18 pages worth of this, but I'll add my thoughts. I'm sure some of the post will match most of what has been said.

4-6-0, madness. They talk about how difficult it is for a team to hold out by playing 4-5-1 or 5-4-1 for 90minutes. In those two formations there is a focal point, a player who is there to relieve the pressure from the defense and give them a breather while also linking the play to the counter-attacking midfielders. Levein actually believed that we could play 4-6-0 and not concede for the whole match. :lol:

I'll take the point that they didn't actually cut us open for the goal, they scored from a set-piece. However, they cut us open enough times to suggest the goal was coming sooner or later. We were camped on our own 6 yard box ffs.

Looking at things on a wider scope, I wonder what mental effect the negativity surrounding our team, players and national game has on them. We seem to tell our players that we are only capable of working hard. I'm wondering if that's true, because I don't actually remember a time where we've been remotely creative. When was the last time we won by a 2 goal margine competitively? Was it when we beat Lithuania at Hampden 3-1? I seriously can't remember. We go through campaigns scraping wins.

You know, we have guys like Steven Fletcher (who couldn't even make the 18 tonight), Charlie Adam, Graeme Dorrans and Darren Fletcher who effectively ply their trade in the EPL and quite comfortably aswell. James Morrison is another who looks decent in the EPL. Why can we not play a bit more forward thinking with a core of these players? I'm not saying all out attack, but we just seem so keen on telling our players what they can't do rather than giving them a bit of freedom when they attack to show what they can do.

Combine the likes of these players with McCulloch, Naismith, Miller, Weir and Hutton who are all proven at international level and the highest club level, we should have the base for a good solid team that can at least play 4-5-1 against the Czechs and have some creativity and guile in there.

Maybe the players who ply their trade in the EPL are only performing because of the players around them but when you have that core of 4-5 players who play in England, then the aforementioned Rangers players we should have a team that is more than capable of bringing the best out of each other. Instead we seem to be content in saying, the only way we can get anything from the Czechs is by defending and doing what, surely no team has ever done before, and line up without a striker. I for one have never seen a graphic before a game with a 4-6-0 and I hope I never see it again.

a complete embarrassment. This has probably been one of the easiest groups Scotland have been in for a long time. The Czechs are an average team and were there for the taking. 3 points tonight would have almost guaranteed Scotland a play off place but levein fucked up any chance of that right from the start. a joke of a formation and team selection which should result in an on the spot sacking in my opinion. The chance to go into the Spain game with confidence and huge backing has also now completely gone. leveins reputation as a manager is now in tatters after tonights performance and rightly so. a horrible fucking man that he is.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

We beat them in a friendly, and showed that they are actually a very average side.

So instead of trying it again, we play a 4-6-0 :lol:

Never in a million years did I think I would ever see a team be so afraid of opposition that they play a 4-6-0 formation. I would be embarrassed to play that formation even if we were away against Spain and needed just a point to qualify, never mind against a team who's defence looked shaky and who had been beaten by Lithuania in their first game.

An absolute disgrace and what makes it worse is leveins comments after the game claiming he was happy with how the system worked. I've never been so embarrassed to support my own country as I was last night. Levein has brought shame on Scotland. This is a new low.

An absolute joke of a manager, formation, tactics, personnel and national team. Yet some wanted this idiot Levein to be given the Rangers job <cr>

I hope Spain tear them apart!

An absolute joke of a manager, formation, tactics, personnel and national team. Yet some wanted this idiot Levein to be given the Rangers job <cr>

I hope Spain tear them apart!

I agree, I'm the closest to not supporting Scotland I've ever been.

I know most of you are proud scots men but would you care much if Xavi and co give you a good raping? N.I beat that lot though. No problem.

Aye, I'd care. Keith the idiot again.

Never been so -

disgusted, embaressed, ashamed, angry, shocked, dissapointed

than I was after watching Scotland the other night. All blame lies squarely with the manager on this one, what a fuckin joke he is !!!

Not 1 striker, the players have probably lost faith in him, just like the rest of the country.

Even if we beat Spain on Tue (long shot) , i still wont forgive Levein for that shambles