Allan McGregor

I just asked this very question in the Czech Scotland match thread, but I thought it was deserving of a topic in here.

When are one of the so called big clubs in England going to come knocking on our door for him?

Forget the off the field baggage for a minute and look at Allan McGregor the goalkeeper and you see a top class kepper who is just getting better and better.

Teams like Man Utd & Arsenal are in the market for a goalkeeper and we have one who (thankfully) neither team seems to have notcied.....yet.

He ticks every single box in terms of what a big club looking to challenge for honours looks for in a kepper (we should know as he's been doing it with us for four years now ;) )

superb shot stopping

ever improving distribution

a presence and a persona that all good keepers have

vast experience in Europe

the ability to do little for 89 minutes but remain concentrated enough to pull of a stop when required.

still two or three years away from his peak

"available" for what would prove to be peanuts over a long period of time

I just hope that it stays that guys like Ferguson and Wenger remain ignorant to him because McGregor just gets better and better all the time and I want him between the sticks for Rangers for the forseeable future.

:mcgregor: :praise:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious answer is he's a liability. Not as a keeper anymore, although his command of his box and handling of crosses is still a little suspect (and I do mean a little). He's improved his distribution and seems to have stopped the silly mistakes he was making a couple of seasons ago.

However, his off-field antics have given him a reputation, and things like his kick v Aberdeen make him a risk to teams looking at him.

Having said all that, I have been slating him for a long time and would rather have had Alexander between the sticks, but I'm happy to say that other teams' blindness to his ability is our gain. He's made massive improvements and now (silly kicks aside) rightly made the No 1 jersey his own.

Should be mentioned that it was a great move by Rangers to lend him out to Dunfermline on loan a few seasons back whilst Klos was number 1, when he came back he had made a real big improvement and seems to have taken everything in his stride to become a better goalkeeper. All he needs to do now is mature and put all the silly wee kicks and off-pitch shagging to one side. The good thing is that he still has a load of room for improvement and still hasn't hit his peak, and when he does.. he will be fucking magical. :praise:

still think his inability to command the air makes teams think twice about him

when you force your centre halves to run into their own 6 yard box to try and head away a cross then it will lead to goals from time to time

i agree though that he is miles ahead of anyone else in terms of reaction saves and shot stopping

but english teams need an all round keeper

i would say that gordon has a better chance of moving to a bigger club before shagger, if he can stay fit

The obvious answer is he's a liability. Not as a keeper anymore, although his command of his box and handling of crosses is still a little suspect (and I do mean a little). He's improved his distribution and seems to have stopped the silly mistakes he was making a couple of seasons ago.

However, his off-field antics have given him a reputation, and things like his kick v Aberdeen make him a risk to teams looking at him.

Having said all that, I have been slating him for a long time and would rather have had Alexander between the sticks, but I'm happy to say that other teams' blindness to his ability is our gain. He's made massive improvements and now (silly kicks aside) rightly made the No 1 jersey his own.

Pretty much summed up what i think mate although I'd be happy to cash in if we got a good offer.

Pretty much summed up what i think mate although I'd be happy to cash in if we got a good offer.

Yeah, if we got decent money I'd take it in a flash. I honestly don't think Alexander is far behind him. In some areas he's clearly ahead.

That save tonight was world class.

He's my dark horse for man utd no 1 given that van der sar has more or less said he will be retiring. If Craig Gordon can go for £9m then I'd be looking for £10m minimum.

Love mcgregor but he has to get out of this country - if he farted in a lift it would probably make front page in the NOTW.

EDIT: I phone key board for me = :anguish:

I really think it is a case of clubs taking a dim view of Scottish players in general and especially troublesome ones like Shagger. I can almost see Ferguson going in for him one day but I don't know... not many managers would want the grief.

Which is all the better for us. We have a habit of having class keepers and keeping them because of their personalities where we'd be fending off derisory offers every week if they were an outfield player who behaves.

I think mcgregor is fast becoming an excellent keeper and I'm amazed a top English club have not come in for him, IMO he a better keeper than Gordon.... Dare I say it he is fast becoming more like the Goalie all the time.

His distribution and command of the box still aren't good enough.

McGregor's a good goalkeeper but Alexander taking over the gloves wouldn't leave me with any worries at all, many others on here have said the same. But i've always had the opinion that McGregor is a bit overrated.

Yeah, if we got decent money I'd take it in a flash. I honestly don't think Alexander is far behind him. In some areas he's clearly ahead.

Exactly what area's is he 'clearly' ahead?

I'll give you distribution, but this is also an area he is clearly improving in, what else?

His distribution may be improving but it's still nowhere near good enough.

Near good enough for being bought by an English team? Or in general not good enough?

I know alot of people complain about the command of his box, but to be fair. At corners and free kick's we have everyone back in the box, see if we left 1 player on the half way line that'll take at least 3 players out of his box. Half the time it's so crowded he can't get to the ball so doesn't attempt to. I can understand him not falling over people to try and catch a ball that could be cleared. It can't help his confidence in those situations.

I think McGregor is a brilliant keeper, his off field antics annoy me when it crosses with his professional side of life.

Well the Goalie was never the most commanding in his box, a great shot stopper and most certainly liked to have a nibble at the opposition ;)

You think The Goalie and McGregor are in the same league ? Shagger's a fucking brilliant shot stopper but Goram was a World class one,IMO of course.