Former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has been charged with drink-driving

AdzKyle

Former England midfielder Paul Gascoigne has been charged with drink-driving after police stopped him in his car on Friday.

The 43-year-old failed a breath test after being stopped behind the wheel by officers in Newcastle.

Gascoigne will appear in court to face the charge of driving with excess alcohol next week.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "A 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving in the Jesmond area at around 2.45pm on Friday October 8.

"He was charged with driving with excess alcohol and bailed to appear before Newcastle Magistrates on October 20."

The former Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Rangers playmaker is also due in court next month for a previous drink-driving charge handed to him in February.

Following the end of a sporadically glorious career ravaged by injury, alcoholism and mental health problems, Gascoigne has had several brushes with the law.

In 2004 he escaped serious injury when he drove his four-wheel-drive BMW into a parked truck.

The following year he was released on bail after being arrested for allegedly assaulting a photographer, and in 2008 he was detained and sectioned under the Mental Health Act for a third time.

Earlier this year he was arrested twice in 24 hours for two separate public order offences.

Gascoigne has had several short-lived spells in management in the lower divisions, the latest of which was due to begin at Evostik First Division North League side Garforth Town. However, Gascoigne pulled out of the deal last week.

:anguish: Just seems to be one thing after another for him at the moment

Seen this the morning :disappointment: just when it looked like he was getting back on his feet. hopefully just a minor blip tho !

i agree with that

i said on another thread

i hope no football club comes near him dosent look like he ever give up the drink he be another george best

tbh, hes starting to piss me off with his shit... what if he kills some kid or old lady on the road who aint fast enough to move out the way....

is he still gonna be the rangers hero he once was?

lock him up, its the only way to help him.

Hate doing this as he was a legend for us , but the above is correct :anguish:

Like Williamson said, I'm starting to feel less sympathetic for this Paul Gascoigne, he's really got to sort this out. Legend for us in his playing days and I still love him for that, but hopefully he can get on the right tracks again and sort his life out. (tu)