The closest 'other' team to The Rangers

delamonty

I spent a lot of time in Montreal as a young man. Their hockey team, the "Montreal Canadiens", I believe, is as close to The Rangers as any team can be. Why? I was driving in my car yesterday, and heard an interview from a man called Ken Dryden. Ken, who is now a politician and lawyer, was the Goalkeeper of the 'famous' Canadiens team of the 1970's where they basically were the 'Spain' of hockey if you get my meaning.

What he said was of great interest. He said that when you came to Les Canadiens, there was an "understanding." It was to be the best, losing was not an option, to represent the team and the city in the best possible way, that there was an 'obligation' to do so. That there was a tradition of winning, of excellence and so on.

The words rang true to me, since this is what we all know is The Rangers 'traditions' (abridged of course).

It is a team, like ours, that is more than a club. And I might add, perhaps the only one like us. I'm glad I heard this interview. Unusual source perhaps, but it goes to show, that traditions like ours, are not only right, they are universal.

Lived in the Montreal area for many years, but never really 'got into' the hockey.

I would agree that the way the club was regarded and thought of, was similar.

Not at all into hockey myself mate. It was just the words and the emotion from him that rang 'true'. (tu)

I spent a lot of time in Montreal as a young man. Their hockey team, the "Montreal Canadiens", I believe, is as close to The Rangers as any team can be. Why? I was driving in my car yesterday, and heard an interview from a man called Ken Dryden. Ken, who is now a politician and lawyer, was the Goalkeeper of the 'famous' Canadiens team of the 1970's where they basically were the 'Spain' of hockey if you get my meaning.

What he said was of great interest. He said that when you came to Les Canadiens, there was an "understanding." It was to be the best, losing was not an option, to represent the team and the city in the best possible way, that there was an 'obligation' to do so. That there was a tradition of winning, of excellence and so on.

The words rang true to me, since this is what we all know is The Rangers 'traditions' (abridged of course).

It is a team, like ours, that is more than a club. And I might add, perhaps the only one like us. I'm glad I heard this interview. Unusual source perhaps, but it goes to show, that traditions like ours, are not only right, they are universal.

Wouldn't you say that about Maple Leafs, who were the choice of most hockey fans in Canada.The Canadians appealed more to French Canadians.