Rangers' provision for disabled supporters

ibrox.pngFollowing an article in the Herald the other day regarding the provision for disabled football fans across the country, I'm a little shocked by some of the numbers that it contained - or perhaps I just don't full comprehend them or have simply never thought about the provision for disabled Rangers fans at Ibrox.

From a capacity of around 55 thousand in a UEFA 5-star ranked stadium - unless that has been revoked of late, which upon looking taking a cursory look at the Ibrox surroundings of late wouldn't be a surprise - we can only accommodate for 65 people in wheelchairs.

View the full article

The length of waiting for a space for a person with a wheelchair is not really that good! Since RFC is more than just a club, they need to think of its Rangers family. I don't know how many deaf and hard of hearing Gers go to the games, but it would also be a good idea to have subtitles, so they would feel included with the other Bears.

It would be worth an idea to research the British law (in the US, we have what is called Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990) to see if accommodations for people who have mobility issues- wheelchairs, etc. are required. I would assume the British law may have some exceptions, so it's worth researching that.

Do we have some lawyers on RM?

As far as I'm aware Landoso, it's only new builds that have to have disabled access.

Because parts of Ibrox are older than 80 years old, it is more difficult to accomodate supporters with mobility disabilities.

Previously disabled supporters used to park their cars on the running track- way back in the 60s-70s

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. In the US, there are some exceptions that if the buildings were built before a specified month, date and year in the current ADA laws, there is no way they could be retrofitted, etc. However, they would have to find some ways to accommodate people.

I guess when you look at the possitives of the artical and behind the scenes, those who are lucky to have a wheelchair slot, are given it free. I am not sure if their carer have to pay a concession or if they also get for free, but this is a possitive. Rangers don't have to do that, they coudl easily charge concession for all chair slots.

As said, due to the stadium, its not as easy as to build more spaces. It would also mean ripping out some seats for these spaces too - so would the first 2 rows of the east enclosure be okay with that? same with the govan, broomloan and copeland.

Hopefully if we get the green light (maybe in 100,000 years time) to get the expansion plans under way, we can hopefully look at adding on to our disabled spaces.

I think its a shame that only 65 slots are availible though and i WOULD like to see more, but as i have explained above, its not just as easy as adding them in.

their was a T*rrier on clyde years ago going balistic because rangers didnt provide him with facilities to go to of games at ibrox. in fairness the panel pointed out sdm was unlikley to be discriminating against the disabled.

he posts on come on my hoop and is a grade a screwball you can see him at games giving players dogs abuse from his wheelchair.