Match Report and Ratings

Bazza

Rangers 4 vs. 1 Motherwell

Written by Bazza

Saturday, 16th October 2010

Rangers 4 vs. 1 Motherwell

With the International break, thankfully, over and done with, it’s back to real business and a very hectic week for the Gers and it all starts today with a very tough game against a revitalised Motherwell side.

Rangers were without a speight of injured players, including McCulloch, Jelavic, Broadfoot and Beattie while McGregor was having to sit out his controversial one game ban. All of which led Rangers to having a decent side on the park but a bench that looked anything like strength in depth.

The start of the game was lethargic and pretty much what we’ve come to expect from Rangers openings of late. In fact it was Motherwell who had the lion share of the first half possession and it really wasn’t any surprise that they took the lead at the end of the half when Whittaker was skinned on the touchline and the subsequent cross was placed onto the head of the Motherwell striker for a straight forward tap in of a header. Rangers really need to stop giving away early leads to the opposition.

Rangers must have got a bullet at half time however and within minutes of the restart we were back on level terms. Some pressure from the Gers saw the ball fall to Davis on the edge of the box. He found his Northern Ireland team mate who slipped a sublime ball into the feet of Naismith who finished with aplomb.

Rangers looked a different side and must have had a crash course in how to pass a ball because all of a sudden we were able to hold onto it for sustained periods of time and were starting to carve out chances. This was most typified in Davis and his re-emergence was complete when he drove at the heart of the Motherwell defence and fired home a rifle of a shot into the top corner.

Rangers were now looking dominant and put daylight between the sides just minutes later when, this time, Naismith was the provider and chipped the ball neatly into the path of Miller who tapped in from very close range. The game was then out of sight just two minutes later when Weiss this time had a run at the defence, played a neat one two with Lafferty and tucked the ball home. The game had litterally turned on its head in the blink of an eye.

With one eye on Wednesday night Rangers turned to the bench to see what was available and it was young Rory Loy who was given the nod to allow Miller a rest. The Youngster had a good chance to show his wears too but chose to go for goal rather than set up a tap in for his partners. Can you really blame him though?

Next of the young guns to take their place was Greig Wylde who we have seen a good bit of so far this season as he came on for the impressive Weiss. The final change of the day was for Kyle Hutton who replaced Edu. It was good to see Rangers getting a good lead and using the remaining time to utilise the depleted squad with such a huge week ahead.

And with the cry of “That’s why we’re Champions” still ringing in the players ears, let’s wish them all the best for the visit of the Spaniards.

RM’s verdict:

Alexander – 7 Does what Alexander does best and fills in with true professionalism. Had no chance for the goal.

Whittaker – 5 Bad first half and lost his man to allow the cross that led to the goal. Did get forward more in the second half and create a wee bit of menace.

Bougherra –7 Sometimes you feel he really does grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drive them forward. A fairly straight forward defensive game for him too.

Weir –6 Had it tough against a tricky and pacey opponent today. Was also culpable for losing his man for the goal.

Papac – 7 Good solid show by the Papac. Tucked in well to help Weir and still managed to push forward.

Naismith – 8 Another superb display by the diminutive Ger. Has terrific energy levels and a lot of skill. Is developing the knack of scoring crucial goals too.

Davis –7 Non exsistent in the first half but ran the show in the second. It looked like he had been de-shackled and drove at the Motherwell back line, culminating in a superb strike to give Rangers the lead.

Edu – 6 Probably the worst offender of sloppy play in the first half although he covered plenty ground. A lot better in the second and anchored well.

Weiss –7 Typical wingers display with some groans but more edge of the seat moments. Always willing to drive at the Motherwell hackers and never gave up which was rewarded with his first Rangers goal.

Miller – 7 Looks a touch on the jaded side and Walter wil be thankful he was able to pull him off early. Right place at the right time to put Rangers in the clear with the third goal.

Lafferty – 8 Never got on the scoresheet today but was my man of the match. A tower of work and some sublime touches none more so than his neat one two for Weiss’s fourth.

Subs –

Loy – 4 had a good chance but never took it.

Wylde – 4 Showed glimpses of huge pace and crossing ability.

Hutton – 3 Enough time to get a couple of touches and no more.

Rangers: 25 Alexander, 03 Weir, 05 Papac, 16 Whittaker, 24 Bougherra, 07 Edu (Hutton 87), 08 Davis, 20 Weiss (Wylde 78), 09 Miller (Loy 73), 11 Lafferty, 14 Naismith.

Subs: 31 Adam, 12 Foster, 22 Webster, 39 Wylde, 29 Little, 34 Loy, 41 Hutton.

Goals: Naismith 47, Davis 62, Miller 65, Weiss 67.

Booked: Edu, Bougherra

Motherwell: 01 Randolph, 03 Hammell (Page 80), 04 Reynolds, 05 Craigan, 06 Hateley, 7 Humphrey, 08 Jennings, 14 Lasley, 09 Murphy, 11 Sutton (Gow 69), 22 Blackman (Forbes 69).

Subs: 12 Hollis, 19 Hutchinson, 20 Page, 21 Angelis Charalambous, 16 McHugh, 18 Forbes, 24 Gow.

Goal: Blackman 44

Booked: Jennings

Att: 44,609

Ref: Finnie

Good report mate. I was watching a rubbish stream so couldn't really comment on the performances so I find your opinion of Lafferty interesting. Would be brilliant if he could come on to a consistent vein of form. (tu)

I was impressed with Loy when he came on. Looked eager to try and get on the ball, and looks quite quick. Should have done something better with the ball instead of the stepovers, but I was pleased with how he played.

Today Kyle showed a side to his game I've never seen before. The way he held his passes until just the right moment showed a footballing brain I really did not think he had.

Agreed, I also thought his first touch was exceptional. A great all around performance from him that deserved a goal

I was surprised that Lafferty didn't get the MOM award today - I thought his work-rate, attitude and craft combined to offer The Rangers a superb performance.

N Alexander - 7

S Whittaker - 5

M Bougherra - 7

D Weir - 7

S Papac - 7

S Naismith - 8

S Davis - 7

M Edu - 6

V Weiss - 7

K Miller - 6

K Lafferty - 8

R Loy - 4

G Wylde - 5 - extra star for that wonderful cross.

K Hutton - 4

cant believe people giving edu a 6 . he was the worst player on the park and is getting carried by steve davis, he shows no urgency and has no imagination whatsoever. dont think young hutton could be any worse than this guy. never thought id ever say this but we really need mcculloch for wed night as we can't rely on davis to play in the middle alone