A quick question about Leeds

Lando

When I was young, I can vaguely recall that Leeds had a few good years when they were playing in EPL, but how did they get relegated and never came back into EPL? What happened at that time? Just curious and wondering.

In 2001 they were Champions League semi-finalists (lost to Valencia). In 2004 they were relegated from the EPL. My memory of it was that their manager, O'Leary, spent a fortune to get them where they were. They were living beyond their means. Their debt caught up with them, they became a selling club, and just slipped into the third tier of English football.

They have a history of bad management. I think they have had to sell Elland Road to the council twice, or perhaps three times. That, in effect, saved them.

A poorly managed club, and they've certainly suffered for it.

They were title contenders in the 70s when they were managed by Don Revie. They originally played in Blue and Gold stripes but Revie changed it to all white because he admired Real Madrid and wanted to encourage Leeds to emulate them. But the declined after he left and the Clough fiasco, and went through the years when the were seen as dull and boring. I still remember everyone calling them Leeds nil. But then they got a few good young players together and started to challenge at the top agian, but if anything they were too ambitious. They paid big money for the likes of Robbie Keane, Robbie Fowler, Mark Viduka and Rio Ferdinand. They never really had the expected success to back it up, and couldn't pay off their debt and went in to administration.

Generally they are seen as a dirty team, a tag they aquired during the Revie years when they had Bremner and Hunter. Most English football fans hate them, and they have an element of their support who always look for trouble when they travel. I would say they're a bit like the Aberdeen of England. Were succesful for a while and resent being overtaken by the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea. They hate Man Utd especially bitterly. But despite all that I actually like them.

Leeds are on of the bigger clubs in England and have a decent history.

The decline of the last 10 years is generally considered to be Peter Risdales fault (ex chairman) who spent way beyond the clubs means in a vain bid to create a team capable of challenging for the top honours in Europe. They got to the CL semi-finals but eventually went into freefall and got relegated down two divisions.

A bit like what happened to Rangers but on a bigger scale and with worse consequences.

Some of y'all say that you like Leeds. Any particular reasons you like Leeds or have a soft spot for them?

I googled "History of Leeds UFC" and found this site which, to me, seems to be a bit sarcastic and poking fun at itself, I dunno. However, look to the left side which says, "we're NOT famous anymore" when LUFC defeated Man U, 1-0 on January 3, 2010. Not sure about that??

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/

Some of y'all say that you like Leeds. Any particular reasons you like Leeds or have a soft spot for them?

I googled "History of Leeds UFC" and found this site which, to me, seems to be a bit sarcastic and poking fun at itself, I dunno. However, look to the left side which says, "we're NOT famous anymore" when LUFC defeated Man U, 1-0 on January 3, 2010. Not sure about that??

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/

I just liked them because I wanted them to break up the status quo of Man Utd and Arsenal at the top of the league.

Think 80% of the people I know have a "wee soft spot for Leeds," support them or look out for results :lol:

Yeah but as I say, you don't get that down here. 80% of people despise Leeds. Lots of clubs chant "We all hate Leeds scum" every time they play them.

Leeds will always be "dirty Leeds" to me. Relative success in the 60's and 70's with the most cynical cheating deliberate fouling football in history.

The "unbeatable" team at Elland Road destroyed by Walter,Ally, The Goalie and Hately.

Tried to buy success with O'Leary and Ridsdale in charge and were still paying for players long after they had left Leeds and after some had retired from football!

My opinion if Leeds is greatly influenced by my feelings for a much better United. :pipe:

In saying that, Nottingham Forrest and Leeds, are by far the biggest clubs out of the EPL; and are probably bigger than most EPL sides.

Im not so sure about Forest. I think clubs like Norwich, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and possibly Southampton could claim to be just as big as they are. Bristol City have a fairly decent support aswell, but their team have just always been rotten!

You probably know more living down there mate, I was just taking into account their history. :)

(tu) I was thinking about fan-base mate.

Well yeah I see your point there. They of course won the EC twice, giving them a much more illustrious history than the vast majority of the premiership and almost every other football league team. Derby are perhaps another team in that bracket. Won the league in the seventies and reached a european cup semi final. Also Ipswich won the Uefa cup aswell. Incredible to imagine that seeing where these teams are now!

When I was young, I can vaguely recall that Leeds had a few good years when they were playing in EPL, but how did they get relegated and never came back into EPL? What happened at that time? Just curious and wondering.

They were only relegated six years ago! You make it sound like ancient history.