Sir David Murray And Hearts fc?

G.Linton

Published Date:

26 October 2010 By MICHAEL BLACKLEY

CityCouncilReporter

HEARTS and Edinburgh Rugby would move into a new 25,000-seat stadium in the west of the city under ambitious proposals by Rangers supremo Sir David Murray's property company.

Murray Estates wants to build a massive multi-use sports stadium on green belt land near Edinburgh Park and the company has launched talks with both Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby.

It has taken inspiration from Liberty Stadium in Wales, which English Championship football side Swansea City share with Magners League rugby side Ospreys.

The stadium is part of a massive £1 billion masterplan currently being drawn up for "Edinburgh's Garden District" - a 600-acre site between Edinburgh Park and the headquarters of Royal Bank of Scotland that would also feature 3500 homes and a new visitor attraction called The Calyx, which is seen as Scotland's answer to the Eden Project.

A week-long series of workshops was today set to get under way with community groups, developers and businesses where more detailed plans will be drawn up.

• Would you back plans for Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby to share a stadium? Vote here

Officials from both Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby are expected to represent the clubs at a discussion on Thursday about the plans for a stadium.

The extent of Hearts' interest in the proposal is not yet known, although any move would likely face heavy opposition from fans, who fought previous plans to move the club to Murrayfield Stadium.

Vladimir Romanov has also always opposed any plans to move away from Tynecastle but plans for an extension of the stadium have still not progressed nearly three years after they were first announced.

Jestyn Davies, managing director of Murray Estates, said: "There is a sporting deficit in Edinburgh and we believe there could be a regional stadium within this site.

"We are speaking to Edinburgh Rugby about this and there is another major football club in the west of the city that may be interested."

When asked if he felt a shared stadium would benefit Hearts and Edinburgh Rugby, he said: "What we would suggest is that you look to Swansea, where Swansea City and the Ospreys co-exist in one stadium. It can also bring considerable savings."

A series of workshops and discussion meetings will be held at Murrayfield, with the plans being updated and adapted depending on feedback. It culminates in a closing presentation at Edinburgh College of Art next Wednesday.

A spokesman for Edinburgh Rugby said: "Representatives of Scottish Rugby will be present to learn more about the proposals. We will monitor the situation closely."

Nobody at Hearts was available to comment.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the fuck is he interested in hearts?

I can't see him investing as such, probably more his companies doing the work for whoevers paying the bill.

I would hope anyway, wudnt like the thot of our owner buying a new stadium for an spl rival wen we are still in the financial mire

I can't see him investing as such, probably more his companies doing the work for whoevers paying the bill.

I would hope anyway, wudnt like the thot of our owner buying a new stadium for an spl rival wen we are still in the financial mire

well thats what a was thinking!

His company's would be providing the service and investment for a land development which would in theory bring his company's and shareholders a substantial profit, he wouldn't be investing in Hearts himself as that would actually be illegal, and I think, that because he has a passion for rugby this is where his interests mainly lie.

It annoys me though, if his company's appear to be able to invest in this sort of money that his being mentioned, why doesn't he use it to develop the proposals that had been agreed with Glasgow City Council for developing the land round about Ibrox and Ibrox itself?

Glasgow is a bigger city and the majority of trade etc goes through Glasgow.

He isnt buying them a stadium at all. He is providing the logistics needed to build the stadium and he is more likely to not use his own money but get the banks onboard to provide the funding as well who will want their own slice of the pie.

Well mayb his money ain't going into hearts but hes getting the banks aboard to put there money in to hearts like a comment above mentions why not build the land around ibrox and get banks to invest in that first!?

Well mayb his money ain't going into hearts but hes getting the banks aboard to put there money in to hearts like a comment above mentions why not build the land around ibrox and get banks to invest in that first!?

Perhaps there is more money to be made with this venture than the plans for round about Ibrox.

Perhaps there is more money to be made with this venture than the plans for round about Ibrox.

So more or less he will be getting more money for helping hearts and sru out and not helping us out with his money or like said before if not using his money he gettin bankers to try help them and himself but not rangers? OUR OWNER!?

He's a businessman and sees an opportunity to make money. It's not a problem and has no relevance to Rangers.

In this case he wouldn't have to invest just watch the pennies roll in as hearts and Edinburgh rugby would share the cost all of which would be getting paid to his companies.

That's the big difference with the area around ibrox, he would have to invest his own money, or use the clubs money - of which there is very little.

So more or less he will be getting more money for helping hearts and sru out and not helping us out with his money or like said before if not using his money he gettin bankers to try help them and himself but not rangers? OUR OWNER!?

Something like that yes. As I say he is a capitalist whose main interest is increasing his own wealth so while I do not like this one little bit, I can see exactly why it is being done.

Something like that yes. As I say he is a capitalist whose main interest is increasing his own wealth so while I do not like this one little bit, I can see exactly why it is being done.

i thought at start you were happy about this that why i bit! lol sorry well i agree i don't like it at all!

David Murray isn't building this; its one of his companies. He has a responsibility to his company (and presumably his shareholders if its a plc) to make money. He has a huge oppertunity to make money so he'll do it. I don't see the issue.

Why not take your time finding some good way of making rangers money ? why bring in another team a rival?

This is just another plan for Murray to drive a coach and horses through Edinburgh planning regulations and build yet again on the green belt .

Can`t see it benefiting Rangers unless he puts some money our way.

He might just get away with it due to inward investment and job creation

This is just another plan for Murray to drive a coach and horses through Edinburgh planning regulations and build yet again on the green belt .

Can`t see it benefiting Rangers unless he puts some money our way.

He might just get away with it due to inward investment and job creation

Well thats whats bothering me a bit! And the Fact its hearts its helping too!

He's a businessman trying to make money for his businesses.

Can't really see anything wrong with it.

my problem is the fact hes using all his time money or bankers input to help out hearts..and obv himself rather than us? its not too much to ask from the owner to not help other clubs and just us! IMO!