Salim Kerkar in squad to face Kilmarnock

Although, games at Ibrox when we are 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go, Walter never seems to give any of them experience.

what experience is there to gain from 20mins in a dead game

if we are 3-0 up against most teams at ibrox, with 20mins to go, the opponents have likely chucked it, so the young guys wouldnt be getting much in the way of proper experience

hence its beter to bring on the experienced guys and keep them somewhere near match fitness

imo the only way the youth will gain experience is the danny wilson scenario, thrown in at the deep end, swim and they are good enough, sink after a while and they arent

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what experience is there to gain from 20mins in a dead game

if we are 3-0 up against most teams at ibrox, with 20mins to go, the opponents have likely chucked it, so the young guys wouldnt be getting much in the way of proper experience

hence its beter to bring on the experienced guys and keep them somewhere near match fitness

imo the only way the youth will gain experience is the danny wilson scenario, thrown in at the deep end, swim and they are good enough, sink after a while and they arent

Do you not think it would do them any good?

3-0 up or not, giving a younger player a good 20 minutes on the pitch is still good experience for any player, getting the chance (especially at Ibrox) to get onto the pitch in front of that many fans will be a boost to their confidence.

Also don't believe that other teams will have chucked it mentality, a team can score goals within a 20 minute period and seeing a younger player come on might make them think they now have a chance to come back at us as a player with no experience is now on the pitch.

3-0 up or not, giving a younger player a good 20 minutes on the pitch is still good experience for any player, getting the chance (especially at Ibrox) to get onto the pitch in front of that many fans will be a boost to their confidence.

Also don't believe that other teams will have chucked it mentality, a team can score goals within a 20 minute period and seeing a younger player come on might make them think they now have a chance to come back at us as a player with no experience is now on the pitch.

That's what I think too mate.

not in terms of learning how to handle the pressure, the intensity and the style of the scottish game

with 20mins to go at ibrox, teams that are 3-0 down dont press as hard, try as hard, and focus as hard

so its not a proper scenario to blood youngsters in

what our promising younger guys need is game time from the first whistle, even if they only get a half or 60mins, at leats they know how the opposition plays when the game is 0-0 and they are still in the game

not in terms of learning how to handle the pressure, the intensity and the style of the scottish game

with 20mins to go at ibrox, teams that are 3-0 down dont press as hard, try as hard, and focus as hard

so its not a proper scenario to blood youngsters in

what our promising younger guys need is game time from the first whistle, even if they only get a half or 60mins, at leats they know how the opposition plays when the game is 0-0 and they are still in the game

Fair enough, but I don't agree. I think any game time will do them good but I'm reluctant to rely on them from the start as I don't think any of them are all that "promising" with all due respect to them.

It certainly wouldn't do them any harm in terms of getting experience of the bigger stage, but it wouldn't really tell if they were good enough. It is, however, part of their development, and should be done. Wylde's fifteen minutes at the weekend must have had him on cloud nine. What could be wrong with that?

Sadly, none of them will be thrown into the side unless we are in dire straits, injury or suspension wise, because a more senior player will always be preferred, regardless of form or if they are played out of position.

It certainly wouldn't do them any harm in terms of getting experience of the bigger stage, but it wouldn't really tell if they were good enough. It is, however, part of their development, and should be done. Wylde's fifteen minutes at the weekend must have had him on cloud nine. What could be wrong with that?

Sadly, none of them will be thrown into the side unless we are in dire straits, injury or suspension wise, because a more senior player will always be preferred, regardless of form or if they are played out of position.

Yup, all very true.

Yep, that really, really annoyed me in the league cup, we made something like 7 changes against Dunferlime playing a few younger/fringe players, totally demolished them and then in the next round I don't remember if any younger players got any game time at all.

That was definitely one game where Weir could have been rested at least and someone like Perry could have been brought in.

Even though I don't like it, our growing injury list will force Walter's hand, with Naismith, Papac, Lafferty, Davis, Edu, Broadfoot and Jelavic all out at the moment, apart from Beattie not sure who else is injured, and again not sure the levels of the injuries but the only upside to this is that some of the other fringe players might have to be played now.

Don't know the severity, and hopefully nothing too serious and that they'll be back for the weekend, but both had to withdraw from the international friendlies this week.

Naismith is something to do with his shoulder which he had injured before, I'm not sure what injury Davis is carrying.

:lol:

Indeed!

Err, apparently Whittaker also had to withdraw from the Scotland squad!

And Fleck played the whole 90 minutes at the weekend but never given a chance, people also seem to be conveniently forgetting that Fleck had been out injured since pre-season and it wasn't a case of refusing him to play but he couldn't play because of injury.

People speak about KT, Whittaker, Lafferty and Naismith, all bought by Smith I believe and make a comment about him not developing these younger players, well think how young they were when we did buy them, and he has helped to develop them, KT played well but unfortunately for him is very injury prone, proved it not long after he left us when he was out injured again. Naismith was unlucky with his injuries when first with us but now look at him and that would be through training and development with us, Lafferty, the enigma, but now that he has changed his attitude he is becoming an important player for us, and Whittaker is a player who plays on confidence, an important player for us last season with his goals who for whatever reason is reaching those heights.

We need a good mixture of experienced players and younger players, on the pitch we have Miller, McCulloch, Papac and Weir, I think (could be wrong) are the only players in their 30s who start, the next oldest is about 28 and then look at the rest of the players who normally start I think they are all only 25 and under, we basically have a pretty youthful team.

Yes, it would be good to see some of the other players get some game time, but it is a very thin line between success and failure, we whinge and whine because certain players aren't getting on the pitch, but I would hate to see what people would be like if we weren't on top of the league.

young fleck is in todays paper detroying this myth talking about smith saying how good he is how he hopes he stays and how good he has been for his development.

smiths only criteria is that they are good. not that they are old.

he did once say their was no substitute for exerience at centre half. perhaps people took that as meaning no youngsters will ever play for rangers under him for some reason.

I don't see the logic in that when Loy has done nothing of note in his career. Even the year he spent at Dunfermline on loan.

Lafferty has shown (in glances, at times) that he can add something - when he can be bothered.

People keep on harking on about the youths as if they are better than what we already have. I honestly don't think they are.

Although, games at Ibrox when we are 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go, Walter never seems to give any of them experience.

I was only using his - PIB - example in regards to the players.

However, as others have said, I do think its a shame we don't make use of using promising youngsters when 2 or 3 nil up or even 1 or 2 in a strong experienced team in the league.

Is that a joke?

Rooney made his Everton debut in August 2002, 5 months after Walter had been sacked

Walter wanted to hand Rooney his debut but rules in England stopped this.

Manchester United v Rangers: Walter Smith wanted to rush Wayne Rooney into first team

Walter Smith has admitted he attempted to capitalise on Wayne Rooney's prodigious talent as a schoolboy by promoting him from the classroom to the first team at Everton.

wayne-rooney_1714839c.jpg Young talent: Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring for Everton as a raw 16 year-old in 2003 Photo: GETTY IMAGES Smith, the Rangers manager, is set for a reunion with Rooney against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

And although it was David Moyes who ultimately thrust Rooney into the Everton team as a 16 year-old, Smith insisted he would have given Rooney his head months earlier but for rules preventing youngsters playing in the Premier League while still at school.

Smith said: "We wanted him to play earlier, but we weren't allowed because he hadn't left school. I then got the sack and he came into the team shortly afterwards.

Walter wanted to hand Rooney his debut but rules in England stopped this.

Manchester United v Rangers: Walter Smith wanted to rush Wayne Rooney into first team

Walter Smith has admitted he attempted to capitalise on Wayne Rooney's prodigious talent as a schoolboy by promoting him from the classroom to the first team at Everton.

wayne-rooney_1714839c.jpg Young talent: Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring for Everton as a raw 16 year-old in 2003 Photo: GETTY IMAGES Smith, the Rangers manager, is set for a reunion with Rooney against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.

And although it was David Moyes who ultimately thrust Rooney into the Everton team as a 16 year-old, Smith insisted he would have given Rooney his head months earlier but for rules preventing youngsters playing in the Premier League while still at school.

Smith said: "We wanted him to play earlier, but we weren't allowed because he hadn't left school. I then got the sack and he came into the team shortly afterwards.

This story has already been proven to be bullshit

Moyes had Rooney on the bench against Southampton just 5 games after Walter had been sacked

So Rooney was ineligible from August to March, but in April he was eligible?